Calling all paint experts!!

Ok paint guys.

I'm doing the car in Standox 2K solid and this is the finish I've got out of the gun, so what process do i need to go through to flat and polish and get a nice glass finish?

no orange peel to get rid of, just a few bits of dust and imperfections.

I don't want to do more than i need to so i can get a nice finish on it.

Andy

20210924_180404 (1).jpg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

If it's that glossy and no peel, then it might be just machine polish. 
Had a quick search for the detailing guides and found an absolute gem !
Check this out, it's extremely thorough 

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66024

That's what i did hope i might get away with. Maybe a fine grade finishing disc/pad and then some cutting compound and polish, rather than having to hand flat it first.

That guide looks good (and long!) lots of reading to do 🙂

There is lots on YouTube but its all about sorting out paint problems, i couldn't find much on what to do with new paint. I might pop over to the paint place this week as well and see what they say.

Andy

37 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Was always surprised now soon paint shops flatten paint, thought if its harder, there is less chance of doing more damage. 

It takes weeks or months to fully harden paint. 

Looking on youtube, some people seem to almost do it straight away!

I think its supposed to be easier when its fresh as its not so hard and then the harder it gets the longer it takes, so i expect its just them wanting to do it as quick as they can!

Thats a nice finish from the gun....may have mentioned this before...a friend of a friend joined a main dealer,  can't recall which. He got pulled up on his first panel respray...it was too good, needed to redo with more orange peel to match the manufacturer's finish on the rest of the car!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GTEPETE said:

Thats a nice finish from the gun....may have mentioned this before...a friend of a friend joined a main dealer,  can't recall which. He got pulled up on his first panel respray...it was too good, needed to redo with more orange peel to match the manufacturer's finish on the rest of the car!!!

I was never worried about it looking too good 🙂

Trouble is, now everything else has to be that good so im getting picky now with all the other panels!!

• Like 2

I will keep you all posted on the pant polishing process as i popped into the paint place yesterday and picked up some Cartec stuff and have ordered some 3m trizact 3000 and 6000 pads as they look like they will do the job without me having to hand flat the car first, as i dont need to remove any orange peel!!

More repainting of bits next week if the weather get better, so i will post some new pics in the your project section.

Andy

• Like 1