Also new to the OMOC but not to Mantas

Moonmonkey

Hi all just a quick hello.

Just bought back into a Manta having had a 20 year break. Bought a Monaco Blue Exclusive, reminiscent of the one I sold in 1995, however at a significantly higher price than I sold for back then (I think I got £2.5k)

Over the years I’ve had 1.9 and 2.0 SRs, 1.8 Berlinetta, Exclusive and 2.0, 2.2, & 2.4 CIH powered rally cars

The new Exclusive has been dry stored for 17 years and only has 25k miles so in pretty good condition. Only one owner since 1989. Looking at doing some sympathetic upgrades, keeping the original look and feel, but improving braking, suspension and power to fast road spec (looking for a 2.2 or 2.4 again).

First job is to recommission and get it back on the road.

Thanks to the guys at the NEC at the weekend for some good insight and discussion

See you soon

Roger

A8A9486B-44D6-4A27-9653-F287BA9C7211.jpeg

Edited by Moonmonkey
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

The first thing I would tackle is removing the black from under the rear bumper! Good Luck!

Hi Jonathan, I agree the black does not look good. It looks like somebody has done a bit of a pre-emptive strike to prevent rust as the sills and the battery tray are the same, but they don’t look to have been replaced? There is an odd piece of glass fibre on the spare wheel well, but the structure is all steel underneath and there is no evidence of rot from the inside. I did wonder if it has been rear ended as the boot lid is misaligned slightly but the panels look very good inside and out.

There is a bit of a misfire, it’s lumpy at idle, and there is no travel on the clutch pedal so a bit of work required. Hopefully should be able to get underneath it and start investigating this weekend, if I can clear some space in the garage🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Welcome Roger, nice looking Exclusive you'v got. Monaco bleu is one of my favourite colours for a B2.

Still wondering why the UK Manta's have those big old style rear view mirrors. I would fit the Engelmann's.

I have done on mine. Standard mirrors are horrible! 
and those who say you can’t see out of the Englemanns must have them in the wrong place 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Welcome Roger, nice looking Exclusive you'v got. Monaco bleu is one of my favourite colours for a B2.

Still wondering why the UK Manta's have those big old style rear view mirrors. I would fit the Engelmann's.

Was more likely a type approval thing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 611 said:

Nice looking car.

Depending on your engine upgrade thoughts i have upgraded to the Omex 600 ECU which might be of interest to you!

I also did a clutch and flywheel upgrade and hydraulic clutch.

https://www.theopelproject.com/engine-all-setup/

https://www.theopelproject.com/fitting-the-mighty-s10-clutch/

Andy

Hi Andy

Thank you, the bodywork looks in good(solid) order. It will need a respray at some stage, but see how it goes with a bit of touch up and a decent polish.

Yes I think think your threads will be of interest, as I am looking at throttle bodies versus DCOEs, as I don't want to remove or move the standard servo/master cylinder. I see your running throttle bodies so info on size, type and management systems would be useful.

I was looking at Jenvey throttle bodies as they now do a 90mm and 30mm as well as the standard 118mm (same as a DCOE), so these might give a bit more space. I think the 30mm maybe too short for total inlet track length so the 90mm may be the ideal, and hopefully the extra 30mm clearance may be enough.

I'll check out your threads/website and message you if I have any questions

Thanks

Roger

Another bit of advice, keep all your original stuff if you can, i like the plan on a 2.4 on ITBs.  Agree with mods, simple changes, wheels, suspension kits, some styling mods. Just remember after spending £k, it can be worth more original, especially with 25k miles. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

Hi Andy

Thank you, the bodywork looks in good(solid) order. It will need a respray at some stage, but see how it goes with a bit of touch up and a decent polish.

Yes I think think your threads will be of interest, as I am looking at throttle bodies versus DCOEs, as I don't want to remove or move the standard servo/master cylinder. I see your running throttle bodies so info on size, type and management systems would be useful.

I was looking at Jenvey throttle bodies as they now do a 90mm and 30mm as well as the standard 118mm (same as a DCOE), so these might give a bit more space. I think the 30mm maybe too short for total inlet track length so the 90mm may be the ideal, and hopefully the extra 30mm clearance may be enough.

Thanks

Roger

Hi Roger

Hopefully i have put enough info on the blog to give you all the info you need but if i haven't let me know. I went with the Webcon throttle bodies (45's) as they use the poly trumpets and if i did have the original server it would have been better than a ally trumpet. I did start off with their ECU but switched to the Omex as its so much better. I can always do some measuring later if you need exact sizes.

And if you are looking to the 2.4 the clutch will need an upgrade and the one i have is from the US for the Chevy S10 and is so cheap, so well worth a look. Hopefully enough on that as well but just let me know if you need any more info when you do get around to the upgrade side of things.

I ran twin 45 carbs before, but the injection is sooooooo much better 🙂

Andy

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Another bit of advice, keep all your original stuff if you can, i like the plan on a 2.4 on ITBs.  Agree with mods, simple changes, wheels, suspension kits, some styling mods. Just remember after spending £k, it can be worth more original, especially with 25k miles. 

Hi Evo, yes I agree original will always be worth more, partly why I think swapping to a new 2.4 CIH will allow me to keep the original 2.0 ready to go back relatively easily

Thanks 

• Like 1

On 17/11/2021 at 15:07, Moonmonkey said:

Hi Andy

Thanks

Roger

If you go for short inlet manifolds from Opel GTSource in the states you wont need to move the servo or master cylinder to fit side draft carbs, though air filters may be still difficult.

5 minutes ago, fullsunian said:

If you go for short inlet manifolds from Opel GTSource in the states you wont need to move the servo or master cylinder to fit side draft carbs, though air filters may be still difficult.

The manifolds come complete with modified thermostat housing too..

IMG_8165.JPG

Edited by fullsunian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, fullsunian said:

IMG_8165.JPG

I did consider looking at shorter inlets when i had the 2.1 with carbs but one of the main problems with the CIH on carbs was that it was really hard to get the carbs set to pull through the whole rev range without a flat spot as the air flow is not as good as on the cross flow engines like the Fords so i was a bit worried that the short intakes might not help that issue?

I did try fitting pipercross twin carb airbox bit it was very hard with the servo in place.

Is the modded thermostat for the standard engine or the 2.4? as the one for the 2.4 was quite expensive when i did nice so i modded the standard frontirer one. 

The CIH in not the easiest engine to have to modify on the UK version. Much better if you have the left hand drive!

If your thinking carbs, i would definitely price up the Omex and see what the difference is as its a so much better setup.

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 611 said:

I did consider looking at shorter inlets when i had the 2.1 with carbs but one of the main problems with the CIH on carbs was that it was really hard to get the carbs set to pull through the whole rev range without a flat spot as the air flow is not as good as on the cross flow engines like the Fords so i was a bit worried that the short intakes might not help that issue?

I did try fitting pipercross twin carb airbox bit it was very hard with the servo in place.

Is the modded thermostat for the standard engine or the 2.4? as the one for the 2.4 was quite expensive when i did nice so i modded the standard frontirer one. 

The CIH in not the easiest engine to have to modify on the UK version. Much better if you have the left hand drive!

If your thinking carbs, i would definitely price up the Omex and see what the difference is as its a so much better setup.

Andy

Going with Dellorto would be the best option with shorter inlet tract for road use

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Going with Dellorto would be the best option with shorter inlet tract for road use

I found the throttle bodies so much better for every day use. Much more reliable and no issues with it getting too hot and running rough in the summer like the carbs use to do.

45 minutes ago, 611 said:

I found the throttle bodies so much better for every day use. Much more reliable and no issues with it getting too hot and running rough in the summer like the carbs use to do.

Indeed, a fully mapped system obviously trumps a carb setup at the expense of cost and complexity though. But for carbs, Dellorto are the best option for road use, far better fuelling throughout the range. Webbers are best for full throttle big power applications.

But with ITBs and full map, you don't have to compromise at all. Happy days 😎

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Indeed, a fully mapped system obviously trumps a carb setup at the expense of cost and complexity though. But for carbs, Dellorto are the best option for road use, far better fuelling throughout the range. Webbers are best for full throttle big power applications.

But with ITBs and full map, you don't have to compromise at all. Happy days 😎

TBH I want to run mine old school with a pair of side draft dellortos and they should compliment the old school PMC (Peter Maiden Components) engine I have found hidden under a friends bench for twenty years. I want them to be  mods I would of done in 1980's, in keeping with the car. Although I will have it set up, Im not worried about the odd pop, bang and flame when cold. Its not like I will be rattling through a forest sideways anytime soon, just a bit of fun on a sunny weekend while we still can.

19 hours ago, 611 said:

Andy

Andy, the modded thermostat housing is for standard engines 

• Like 1

On 22/11/2021 at 13:02, fullsunian said:

Hi Fullsunian, I had a look at the short inlet manifolds, and I have only seen them for the 2.0 cylinder head. Do you know if they do a short manifold for the 2.4 head, with the higher inlet ports? I guess I could always look to use a 2.0 head on a 2.4 bottom end, but I have 2 x 2.4 cylinder heads, and I didn't really want to mess about with my standard 2.0 engine.

Peter Maiden Cars, that takes me back a bit🙂. Spent a lot of money there in the past! I think they were the first to import Schrick cams, but I ended up using one of their own 320 degree ones in the end. 

I like the idea of twin carbs too, TBH my main reason for looking at throttle bodies was the length issue. Jenvey do 3 different lengths and curved trumpets so I was thinking this may help with the servo/reservoir issue.

6 hours ago, fullsunian said:

TBH I want to run mine old school with a pair of side draft dellortos and they should compliment the old school PMC (Peter Maiden Components) engine I have found hidden under a friends bench for twenty years. I want them to be  mods I would of done in 1980's, in keeping with the car. Although I will have it set up, Im not worried about the odd pop, bang and flame when cold. Its not like I will be rattling through a forest sideways anytime soon, just a bit of fun on a sunny weekend while we still can.

Andy, the modded thermostat housing is for standard engines 

Is it modded just for the shortened inlets?

5 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

Hi Fullsunian, I had a look at the short inlet manifolds, and I have only seen them for the 2.0 cylinder head. Do you know if they do a short manifold for the 2.4 head, with the higher inlet ports? I guess I could always look to use a 2.0 head on a 2.4 bottom end, but I have 2 x 2.4 cylinder heads, and I didn't really want to mess about with my standard 2.0 engine.

Peter Maiden Cars, that takes me back a bit🙂. Spent a lot of money there in the past! I think they were the first to import Schrick cams, but I ended up using one of their own 320 degree ones in the end. 

I like the idea of twin carbs too, TBH my main reason for looking at throttle bodies was the length issue. Jenvey do 3 different lengths and curved trumpets so I was thinking this may help with the servo/reservoir issue.

Not seen a short inlet for the 2.4 You also get a bit of extra space with the higher inlets on the 2.4 over the standard 2.0 so that also helps a little. Its more getting a filter on that is the real problem and that's why i went for my trumpet filter work around 🙂

Some info:

on the Leidinger webshop you can find those inlets for the 2.2-2.4, the dimensions are mentioned:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223899597428?hash=item342174ba74:g:e8sAAOSwKwhb6Kyx

The same inlets but only for the 1.9-2.0, described as "lang"= Long:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/273463528286?hash=item3fabb24b5e:g:Vj4AAOSwlUhbnT3q

The thermo-house for the 2.2-2.4:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224477045281?hash=item3443dfe221:g:uqYAAOSwzpFbHuyn

• Thanks 1