Also new to the OMOC but not to Mantas

Moonmonkey

14 hours ago, 611 said:

Not seen a short inlet for the 2.4 You also get a bit of extra space with the higher inlets on the 2.4 over the standard 2.0 so that also helps a little. Its more getting a filter on that is the real problem and that's why i went for my trumpet filter work around πŸ™‚

Hi Andy, what is you trumpet filter work around - Is it using the plastic trumpets/remote brake reservoir or is there something else? I'm hoping with the higher inlets I can get away with just making the brake reservoir remote. Also thinking the 90mm Jenvey Throttle body will give me an extra 28mm to play with over a standard TB or DCOE

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Some info:

on the Leidinger webshop you can find those inlets for the 2.2-2.4, the dimensions are mentioned:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/223899597428?hash=item342174ba74:g:e8sAAOSwKwhb6Kyx

The same inlets but only for the 1.9-2.0, described as "lang"= Long:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/273463528286?hash=item3fabb24b5e:g:Vj4AAOSwlUhbnT3q

The thermo-house for the 2.2-2.4:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224477045281?hash=item3443dfe221:g:uqYAAOSwzpFbHuyn

Thanks Herman, the 2.4 manifold is good value. I think I'll have to bite the bullet buy one and manage fitting once I can get some real world measurements in the car.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Moonmonkey said:

Hi Andy, what is you trumpet filter work around - Is it using the plastic trumpets/remote brake reservoir or is there something else? I'm hoping with the higher inlets I can get away with just making the brake reservoir remote. Also thinking the 90mm Jenvey Throttle body will give me an extra 28mm to play with over a standard TB or DCOE

Thanks Herman, the 2.4 manifold is good value. I think I'll have to bite the bullet buy one and manage fitting once I can get some real world measurements in the car.

Thanks

I used the poly trumpets and fitted the individual trumpet filters to save messing about with a big air box.

https://www.theopelproject.com/fitting-mesh-filters-to-alpha-throttle-bodies-poly-trumpets/

also on the 2.1 i left the servo where it was and used a remote reservoir and to save extra space i inverted the master cylinder so the outlets where at the bottom on 90 degree banjo fittings. And that was pretty good. the main problem i had with that carb setup is you cant fit the poly trumpets on the carbs easily as the the trumpets bolt on and then i couldn't find a good setup for individual filers (it was a while ago!) so tried all sorts of options but was stuck with the issue that the air filter backing plates are big and didn't fit in easily and the socks just strangles the old CIH airflow.Β 

Not sure if i have a pic of the old setup but apart from the initial bleeding of the master cylinder upside down it worked great. Took a bit to purge the air out but got it all air free after a bit of bench bleeding of the master cylinder!

Now i know what i know now i could probably get the carbs working, but i had already decided on the injection by then πŸ™‚

Mine is the A so slightly different clearancesΒ to you. Like you say, get the inlets and then you can measure carbs, etc.. and get it all sorted before you get all the bits.

Β 

On 24/11/2021 at 14:46, 611 said:

Mine is the A so slightly different clearancesΒ to you. Like you say, get the inlets and then you can measure carbs, etc.. and get it all sorted before you get all the bits.

Β 

Just found and ordered a "short" Twin DOCE inlet manifold for a 2.2/2.4 CIH head. Standard length inlet manifolds are around 108-115mm from head flange to doce flange. This short one is 78mm so a saving of 30-37mm compared to a standard one. Hopefully a Frontera thermostat housing will fit with it.

I'm thinking of using a Jenvey 90mm throttle body which is 28mm shorter than a standard throttle body or a DCOE. so it looks like you can get about 60mm additional clearance for the trumpets/filters.

Think its coming together now, need to think about rebuilding this engineπŸ™‚

As a side note I hope this is not a sign of things to come. When examining the new Exclusive as part of MOT prep I pulled this off the N/S break caliper. Sheared bleed nipple glued back in place! Maybe time for a brake upgradeπŸ™‚

Β 

image.thumb.png.fffdb5d947aa0ea9457c9e455987af8f.png

Edited by Moonmonkey
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

Just found and ordered a "short" Twin DOCE inlet manifold for a 2.2/2.4 CIH head. Standard length inlet manifolds are around 108-115mm from head flange to doce flange. This short one is 78mm so a saving of 30-37mm compared to a standard one. Hopefully a Frontera thermostat housing will fit with it.

I'm thinking of using a Jenvey 90mm throttle body which is 28mm shorter than a standard throttle body or a DCOE. so it looks like you can get about 60mm additional clearance for the trumpets/filters.

As a side note I hope this is not a sign of things to come. When examining the new Exclusive as part of MOT prep I pulled this off the N/S break caliper. Sheared bleed nipple glued back in place! Maybe time for a brake upgradeπŸ™‚

Β 

Β 

That will be a decent space saving, should allow for some trumpet length, one of the draw backs of the std length was not having the ability to use anything but short trumpets.

16 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

Β 

image.thumb.png.fffdb5d947aa0ea9457c9e455987af8f.png

Glue is pretty good these days but I don’t want it associated with the brakes on any car I get in. 😬