Ascona B / Manta B : A Pillar sections - near side.

Stinkus

Hiya.

My daughter and I are rebuilding my 1981 Ascona, and need to find a near side A pillar.  On our car rust has eaten the joint of windscreen pillar to A post.  I managed to find a complete repair panel for the other side of the car but I still need the near side. 

So if you have a donor, or even the bits I need please message me.

Cheers!

Ken and Millie.

Hi Evo.

Thanks - good idea to update the ad.  I keep trawling FB and ebay.  At some point I think I might have to do a road trip into Europe for other parts also.  More fun and probably cheaper than postage!

• Like 2

• Stinkus changed the title to Ascona B / Manta B : A Pillar sections - near side.

A manta hatchback should have same A post too! Not that i condone cutting up a hatch, there use to be loads broke up, now they just charge 4, 5k for them! 

If you can take a pic, highlight the section needed and upload pic, its pretty easy, paperclip below, add file.

You do know the section around the door hinges is available as a new pressed panel, but its just an outer skin. 

I think you are right...!

I think the bit I need is the only part I cant find after a lot of searching... (pfft)  I will succeed though...

Photo attached is the other (right hand) side (and for which I have a brand new repair panel, shipped from Germany).  I need left hand side....

Think how the windscreen pillar comes down.     Under the wing there is the A post (bit around hinges, down to sill etc)  At the top of the A post the windscreen pillar kind of sits on top / fits around the A post outer panel.

I dont have a photo of the near side hole - similar to this though.  The end of the windscreen pillar has rotted away due to badly fitted replacement wings a long time ago. 

The plan with the drivers side is to either cut out and replace the rusty section, or remove the whole windscreen pillar up into the roof.  Whatever is stronger / looks good and is right.  Same for the left side once I have the part.   Might even have to make something, this is all new to me.

I am locating other parts in europe for a road trip in the new year.  Drivers side doors or door panels.  Sills.  chassis legs.  Don't know what to do about engine, but body and chassis parts location etc first.

Cheers!

hole.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2021 at 18:49, ®evo03 said:

Sadly not those... (although we may need them anyway so filed for the next round of part search!).  What we need is essentially the near-side windscreen pillar which seems to butt down onto/ over the A post in the top url link you mentioned.  I got a new whole panel for drivers side, but the near side escapes me so far.    Worst case I would like a section from another car.

Thanks for the links!

If anyone knows of a car being broken that might be my best bet I think...  

A pillar / Windscreen pillar.   I'm gonna take the covers off and take a pic of the rusty bit so you can see.     On the other side I have a complete new side repair panel, goes from A post / windscreen pillar all the way back to behind the rear door.  The bloke I bought it off cut it in two to post, and the bottom a bit mangled, but the whole A / Windscreen pillar is good.  So hopefully change the whole pillar intact.  I will be offering the B pillar and any other remnants in due course....

That pic looks like it *might* have some or all of what I need, if I patch it...  I am sure I have seen it before either here or on other sites!  I am at the point I can remember sections of old car in my head!  madness setting in.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad1235 said:

I'm going to be chopping one up tomorrow. If it's the bit in the pic you need, I have one on another car that has been pretty much stripped

20220108_173046.jpg

Hi Martin.  Will take a photo when its light tomorrow am - but from the pic its the manky looking bit at the top!  Essentially looking for the windscreen pillar down into the a post.  Ideally I would like the whole pillar.  I shall PM you my details if I can work that out...

Thanks very much for posting this.

Cheers

Ken. 

15 hours ago, Stinkus said:

Hi Martin.  Will take a photo when its light tomorrow am - but from the pic its the manky looking bit at the top!  Essentially looking for the windscreen pillar down into the a post.  Ideally I would like the whole pillar.  I shall PM you my details if I can work that out...

Thanks very much for posting this.

Cheers

Ken. 

Pictures of the nasty bit :  

hole1.jpg

hole2.jpg

You can see where the A Post comes up, and the windscreen pillar kind of sits on top / around it.  As soon as I start cleaning this up the hole will grow substantially!  Hence after as much metal as I can.  Ideally the whole windscreen pillar up into the roof to keep it whole.

This is the worst part of the whole car.  There is other stuff to do but in the usual places and where new panels can be had. So this is top of priority list fr the whole car.

Great pics, not so great theme!

Think the a post cover and section in front should replace most, worth a buy, as you are gonna need them, unless someone has one stashed away.

If you peel off the panels, below, rust converter treatment and protection should fix inner A post.

CA-5066411.jpeg

20211025_143413.thumb.jpg.be9db800813131cd16e27f801bcb7673.jpg

Borrowed this pic, to illustrate where section meet, from mr Abbott. 

Have to admit, its gonna be a hard section to repair, but most dont give bother here, bet there was road muck stuck up in there! 

Good luck and keep us posted, be interesting seeing this get done. 

If the inside door jam is ok, i would template it and have go, making it. 

Must look very closely at my own project here, see whats, what. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

I think my attitude is - its getting fixed, whatever is needed effortwise.  Its my first car, and I am doing this with my daughter who has shown a massive interest in it, and that's worth it more than the car!  I have trusted her with the look of the finished article, so it will have wide arches, big spoiler  - etc..   We have the colour decided (San Marino Blue - BMW / Porsche colour). 

I need to learn how to weld - always wanted to.  She thinks the car is very cool.   It will just bring extreme joy doing it - I suspect this is true for a lot of people on here with their projects...   Then there is engine choice etc - will bring that up in the coming months...  I am torn very much but its worth a separate topic.

On the weekend I am off to cut / collect a section that should allow me to repair this area - a very kind member of here has what's left of a car that has apparently saved 3-4 other cars in its demise.

I really appreciate all your opinions and help - it makes the project a lot more fun for me.

Cheers!

• Like 4

Cant go wrong with welding, just ask for advice, some experience on here, plenty of welding done.

I borrowed a welder before buying my own a few yrs back, its a sealey 150 mightymig, impressed so far, had a 380 mig borrowed, far to strong for body repairs.

Great way to learn is two strips on the floor, wack the gas on pull the trigger, found really clean steel works best, wire wheeled, a slight rough with a cutting wheel, then sanded with soft sanding pad, the steel is shining, weld seems to penetrate better, with any effort, (skill) :)

nothing to loose, well done on gaining the section you need, crack on! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you to Martin, I have a big chunk of his dead car in my front garden now after quite a long road trip.  So on we go with the rest!  I shall be doing a parts run into Europe at some point for chassis and other bits.   And I need to decide on engine and other upgrades.  New topic about to be posted!

Cheers Everyone.

• Like 4