Paint remover

jamie077366

Hi guys , not been on for a while, hope alls well.

iv just been pottering with the gold b coupe, trying to sort roof before it worsens, it’s in quite good shape but was some rust under vinyl roof.

whats the best pain remover? I got some from Halfords but... it’s not really getting through....anything more industrial?

thanks guys 

Hi Jamie, had the same rust problems with my vinyl roof. Pulled all the vinyl of but the residu of the glue was hard to remove. When I wanted to clean some carbs I layed a rag with petrol on the roof and the glue melted away. This was in the eighties so I hope modern feul can help you also.

Edited by H-400
  • Like 1

Thanks guys... so iv been out with kids all day... I get back and a pal has stripped all paint of and sanded, result!! 

ok... so roof is relatively solid but as can see in pics.. does have rust... some slightly pitted but no pin holes evident.

whats the best plan? I really don’t want to do another roof swap and vinyl roof will be on as I want this one as it came out the factory, so rust converter? Etch primor? por15? 

im currently using rust remover to get into slightly  pitted Areas...

I honestly don’t want to bodge it but also don’t want to do any welding to roof? 

feel free to tell me if I’m being a div.

Thanks guys 

0DE1D099-CBA5-4AF9-89CC-19C34C3EA1A4.jpeg

• Like 2

Bilt hamber has a rust removal gel, non toxic, biodegradeable, and safe to use, i would use this along with a paint removal pad available for angle grinder. Then as jess said, etch primer and high build primer. 

Is the vinyl porous? How does the water get in? Is there a better grade on vinyl, or a better glue, or a better top coat, maybe enamel paint? 

Roof looks good, and could have been alot worse, great save! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Bilt hamber has a rust removal gel, non toxic, biodegradeable, and safe to use, i would use this along with a paint removal pad available for angle grinder. Then as jess said, etch primer and high build primer. 

Is the vinyl porous? How does the water get in? Is there a better grade on vinyl, or a better glue, or a better top coat, maybe enamel paint? 

Roof looks good, and could have been alot worse, great save! 

Always baffled me how much moisture gets under the vinyl on to the steel, I think the primer used was a single 'waft' not  even a proper coating. It seems the glue was the main issue though, as it seems to go bad over the years or it was just never bonded properly, and then just lets moisture trap under the vinyl (like the bag in the desert at night time thing) . If it was done properly you would expect the glue + vinyl to be actually better protection then paint.

Edited by Jessopia74
Desert not dessert stupid lol

• 3 weeks later...

Bill umber deox C gel, and wash off as per instruction then. Bill hamber hydrate 80 to seal it all. Then away you go with whatever primers etc you want. 
have the ceilign of the grey A series treated with hydrate 80 and all good still over 4 years later, nothing showing 

• Like 3