Manta B Lower Steering Column Spring??

Jonathan Pounsett

Is there a spring between the lower bearing and the UJ? I’m sure there was one when I took it to bits, but the diameter of the spring I have looks too large. If it were a bit smaller it would fit nicely into the groove in the lower bearing.

Thanks 🙂

Edited by Jonathan Pounsett

4 hours ago, mantasrme said:

It measures 24mm diameter 36mm long and has 4.75 full coils with the top and bottom flattened out. The wire is 2mm thick and is not a stiff spring at all. It does sit into the circle in the lower bearing plastic.

Great info that, turns out this reminded me I have one missing and perhaps the other one I do have might have lost its strength anyway over the years. Is that 24mm Inside diameter mate?

Flexosprings.com seems to have a great tool for specifying a replacement, possibly a group buy.

• Like 1

Yes all measurements are external. They don't have a lot of strength to start with they  are only to stop the inner plastic race from dropping down. Although if its ion good condition it souldn't be able to drop out anyway. They certainly take some levering to get the inner to pop out from the outer when i take the bearings apart.

Thomas has them at https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Compression-spring-steering-rod-on-U-joint-Opel-Ascona-Manta-B although they look slightly different to the ones on all the columns in my place. They don't flatten at the ends like all my originals do. Not that it matters but i wonder if they changed them or its a superseded part thats different

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mantasrme said:

Yes all measurements are external. They don't have a lot of strength to start with they  are only to stop the inner plastic race from dropping down. Although if its ion good condition it souldn't be able to drop out anyway. They certainly take some levering to get the inner to pop out from the outer when i take the bearings apart.

Thomas has them at https://www.edelschmiede.com/shop/Compression-spring-steering-rod-on-U-joint-Opel-Ascona-Manta-B although they look slightly different to the ones on all the columns in my place. They don't flatten at the ends like all my originals do. Not that it matters but i wonder if they changed them or its a superseded part thats different

Probably aftermarket replacement.

• Like 1

just checked mine for you. mine definately sits nicely in the lower bearing groove.and acloser fit on theshaft although ANY spring   if located between the uj and the nylon bearing should do its job. 

its not there to stop the inner race falling out ( obviously it could do without a spring albeit not easily) but its the fact that the inner race has a curved inner side and the matching surface on thestatic part also has a curved outer side. between these are the small ball bearings .the spring pushes both curved sections into the balls eliminating any sideways movement. known as an angular contact or thrust bearing.  often used in more extreme structure in electric motors running downward mounted pumps where the downward weight pulling the bearing takes up all the play and allows it to run "shaft weight down"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1