B1 Gearbox conversion to manual

Kenny G

Hi all,

I am new to this forum / club as I have just purchased a nice 1979 B1 coupe.

I want to convert it from an automatic to either a 4 or 5 speed manual and will be looking for the parts required. 

Any tips / pointers would be appreciated. Will I need a pedal box or just a clutch pedal? Also the prop shaft I presume will also be different at gearbox.

I wish someone had one breaking where I could get the lot in one stop as I will need centre consoul etc.

Thanks in advance

Kenny

someone on here will no doubt be able to help.

you will need.

flywheel,bolts ? ,3 part clutch and spigot bearing.

gearbox complete with bellhousing,clutch fork,mounting block,and crossmember ?

clutch cable,bulkhead block and rubbers.

clutch pedal

brake pedal    (idealy just complete pedal box unit)

centre console

transmission tunnel top section ( bit that gaiter clips onto)

gearlever.

propshaft

speedo cable and reverse light wiring should be fine although the cable is longer you should be able to pull it back looser .

i would have said not long ago to just buy a scrap car to get all the bits and i would have had a car you could have had for free if you had asked a couple years ago but people are now asking silly money for piles of rust on ebay.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

someone on here will no doubt be able to help.

you will need.

flywheel,bolts ? ,3 part clutch and spigot bearing.

gearbox complete with bellhousing,clutch fork,mounting block,and crossmember ?

clutch cable,bulkhead block and rubbers.

clutch pedal

brake pedal    (idealy just complete pedal box unit)

centre console

transmission tunnel top section ( bit that gaiter clips onto)

gearlever.

propshaft

speedo cable and reverse light wiring should be fine although the cable is longer you should be able to pull it back looser .

i would have said not long ago to just buy a scrap car to get all the bits and i would have had a car you could have had for free if you had asked a couple years ago but people are now asking silly money for piles of rust on ebay.

Thanks for all the info. Now need to try and source parts! 👍

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Cam has pretty much nailed the parts list for you.

And when you have got all your stuff, I will buy your Auto prop-shaft if you message me when you ready 👍

👍

Thanks guys, 611 I will come back to you if/when I can source a gearbox. 👍. Cam you must have done one or two of these 🤔. If anyone comes across any available parts please keep me in mind.

Kenny

The clutch and brake are combined in the pedal box, only the accel pedal is seperate. I have several complete pedalboxes spare. I also have at least one 5 speed tunnel tops metal section. Might even have a propshaft, but i need to check whats left on the shelf in the unit.

From memory you can use the original hole in the shell with a little re-engineering of the gear linkage on the box to move it to match the hole. Sure i've read that before but not done it for an autoshell myself. I have moved them to get the 5speed in a kadett through the original hole and its not hard.

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Different length 

Maybe its just an A series thing 🙂

2 hours ago, mantasrme said:

The clutch and brake are combined in the pedal box, only the accel pedal is seperate. I have several complete pedalboxes spare. I also have at least one 5 speed tunnel tops metal section. Might even have a propshaft, but i need to check whats left on the shelf in the unit.

From memory you can use the original hole in the shell with a little re-engineering of the gear linkage on the box to move it to match the hole. Sure i've read that before but not done it for an autoshell myself. I have moved them to get the 5speed in a kadett through the original hole and its not hard.

Not sure on the B but with the A you can shorten the linkage on the box to come up in the right place. Got some pics if needed.

and ditch the clutch cable and fit one of these 🙂

https://www.theopelproject.com/hydraulic-clutch/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaun400r said:

I will check at weekend to see if I have a gearbox I know I have centre consuls /props/ and an assortment of other parts will let you know Saturday 👍

Thanks Shaun, Any help is more than appreciated.

Kenny.

44 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Is it the red one from Ebay that has a thread on here? If not pictures please 🙂

Yes it's the red one! I will hopfully get a dry day at the weekend and will get some pictures up. 

I have not seen the thread, still navigating my way around when I get a minute. 👍

18 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

No mate 🤣

Yes this is the one I have bought, good to read through previous posts to see work being done. Car starts and drives no problem. No rattles etc. I just would prefer it to be manual.

Thanks

Kenny

• Like 1

its a relatively straightforward conversion. 

ive actually done it the other way around.converting from a 1.6 manual to a 2.2 auto. but i did have all the parts ready at the time, .only issue i found was finding an insurance company that were happy with modified vehicles.i ended up with footman james for mine.

are you going 4 speed or 5 ? .personally i prefer 4 but most people seem to prefer 5. they both alter the driving experience greatly. 

Don't even consider 4speed, I made that mistake when I converted my SRB auto at first. But as said it is relatively straight forward, just bolt on bits once you collected them all, apparat from the trans tunnel plate, that will need spot welds drilling out and the 5speed welding back in.

3 hours ago, Kenny G said:

Yes this is the one I have bought, good to read through previous posts to see work being done. Car starts and drives no problem. No rattles etc. I just would prefer it to be manual.

Thanks

Kenny

Pictures on Ebay and the threads on here show it being a nice solid car, enjoy it! 

30 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

its a relatively straightforward conversion. 

ive actually done it the other way around.converting from a 1.6 manual to a 2.2 auto. but i did have all the parts ready at the time, .only issue i found was finding an insurance company that were happy with modified vehicles.i ended up with footman james for mine.

are you going 4 speed or 5 ? .personally i prefer 4 but most people seem to prefer 5. they both alter the driving experience greatly. 

I would also prefer a 4 speed but can't b too fussy. Had the same conversion done on a identical B1 but that was 30 year ago when I was an apprentice. Tradesman done it for me, It helped that at that time a mate also had a breakers so parts wasn't an issue.

21 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Don't even consider 4speed, I made that mistake when I converted my SRB auto at first. But as said it is relatively straight forward, just bolt on bits once you collected them all, apparat from the trans tunnel plate, that will need spot welds drilling out and the 5speed welding back in.

its all personal preference realy. i hate the short throw 5 speed boxes and have yet to find a nicer gearchange feeling than the long lever 4 speed. but then i like an old car to have an original driving feel about it.

everyone to their own i suppose. no offence intended.

the later mantas ( with bodykit) suit the 5 speed but just doesnt feel right in a pre 82 car.