E720 PEE

Paul Barrett

Haven’t added much content for some time to the forum so I’ll add the latest Opel to grace my list. 

Bought last year in june from the north of the country from a guy known to a few from the club. He had passed away and the car had changed hands to a collector/dealer that I purchased from. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Sywell 2021

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Shaun400r said:

Nice looking car By any chance does it have red lights on the door when you open them ? It looks like one I saw along with a matching silver hatch belonging to a lovely old guy called Derek ? 

Yes it was dereks car 

10 hours ago, Shaun400r said:

That’s a shame he’s passed away I spent almost a full day with him while buying a van full of parts he loved silver for his cars I saw the coupe was a very clean car 👍

It looks good and is good solid base for a manta hence why I bought it, but is full of filler in areas. But it has survived well. I did understand it was his pride and joy. 

there was a lot of hassle after I purchased the vehicle with people claiming it was a stolen car and all sorts. But the bottom line was that some local to him were trying to lay claim to the vehicle. 
I eventually received all the paperwork for the car int the end form the solicitors dealing with estate which was nice as it adds history to the car. 

• Like 1

The spoiler has so much paint on it it has peeled off mostly (with a lot of effort). Have strengthened it up with some some steel flat bar and epoxy resin set into the tapered ends. 

The painted quads rebuilt with new lamps. 

And the wheels……

Bucket loads of hours in these. Not perfect but I’m happy with my current limited workshop facilities. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Paul Barrett said:

The spoiler has so much paint on it it has peeled off mostly (with a lot of effort). Have strengthened it up with some some steel flat bar and epoxy resin set into the tapered ends. 

The painted quads rebuilt with new lamps. 

And the wheels……

Bucket loads of hours in these. Not perfect but I’m happy with my current limited workshop facilities. 

How many hours on the wheels - they look fantastic. Did the behave on the wheel balancing machine?

Bumper and bonnet have been painted already, as have the skirts. Bootlid and rear bumper this weekend I’ve been told. 

Infill panel I’ve repainted too but it reacted. Got a feeling it’s had a lot of bumper shine thrown on it over the years. So I’ll have to mega degrease it and knock it back with 120grit then seal it. 

driver handle source from mr Meadon, thank you mate! Repainted with halfrauds finest bumper paint. 

picked up a 2.4 from our new chairman Lewis recently too, thank you again sir. This may go into this car or may not. I have a 3.0 inlet to cut down for it and Itl need a cam (and a rebuild everyone tells me, but I’ll risk it for a biscuit and just tart it up)

had a dabble at tinting some rear lights too. 
Did this to a few novas 20 odd years ago and loved it then. Not everyone’s cup of tea but do I care…… lol. 

Bumper built up now with new indicators and new plate.

the correct steering wheel sourced and refurbished, aka black boot polish. Cheers mick maher for the swaps! Top man for digging it out of his Aladdin’s cave of manta heaven. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

On 04/03/2022 at 22:07, Paul Barrett said:

Repainted with halfrauds finest bumper paint

You'r doing fine, love those rims. About that rattle can: Got identical door handles but the previous owner was a smoker so it is stained with tabacco residu. Can't get them clean again. So you painted the handle with ordinary grey bumper spray? Does not crack? 

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

You'r doing fine, love those rims. About that rattle can: Got identical door handles but the previous owner was a smoker so it is stained with tabacco residu. Can't get them clean again. So you painted the handle with ordinary grey bumper spray? Does not crack? 

Thanks.

no cracking it’s good stuff, slightly flexible for painting direct to plastic. I’ve used it a few times. 
degrease the handles like mad, I use bug and tar remover solvent, then a couple of light coats of the bumper spray. 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, evo3000 said:

Paul, would you consider banding the standard GTE alloys for other manta folk...could be a nice little sideline😎

I did not do the actualise  banding work. 
Pawl from sunny north wales threw them in his lathe and did his magic. My work was making them look pretty again. 
he is doing a few members wheels currently. Mine have been the first set. 

Tyres on and balanced, one needed quite a bit of weight hut at least it has worked 

Edited by Paul Barrett
  • Like 4

I sourced from eBay uk, but came from Germany.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-TRAFFIC-headlights-Opel-Manta-Irmscher-Vauxhall-headlamp-2000-GSI-/282676689326?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I’ve seen these cheaper from a uk supplier, but I can’t think where 

Spent the day stripping the interior out today and various other bits whilst the sun was shining. 

found a kill switch in the rear ashtray I never knew was there lol. 

Fitted a new passenger wing and then gave it clean up as he lots of small rust haze and the primer was god know how old. Then cog of zinc rich primer 

I need to ge the rear arches repaired still. Time is ticking as the punter wants it now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Thanks for the link. Did you just swap the plastic black trims over to the new lights then? I have never been able to get them off without damaging them 🤣

Yes swapped over. But have used a metal mgb light bezel that I had to cut down for a slip fit. 

• Like 1