Help with project

KristiyanMitev

Hello and greetings,

I've recently come into possession of a 1977 1.9 75hp Opel Manta B. While initially I was planning on swapping the engine out with a 3.2 V6 from an Opel Omega, I've since decided that I want to keep the carbureted engine and squeeze out of it what I can (goal is to get around 180-200 hp by the end of it). With that in mind, I would like to please ask you for your opinion and help on what can be done to increase power output as well as the parts necessary.

I would like to preface this by saying that I by no means consider myself competent when it comes to cars or engines so please feel free to let me know if what I'm expecting or want is unrealistic.

1. I would like to make the engine a bit more high revving. I have seen videos of Mantas with the later 2.0 engine going up to 8000+ RPM. Granted those are newer engines, and I would be happier with even a minor increase. Would this make maintenance and relatively frequent usage a nightmare in your opinion?

2. I would like to eventually add forced induction to the car in the form of a supercharger. I've seen custom carburetors which are made with putting a supercharger in mind, and have read that I should expect a power increase of about 30% of the hp output of the engine. What kind of modifications would be needed to the engine to accommodate the new carburetor, and to the chassis/ transmission to be able to withstand the increase in hp?

3. What would I need to do in order to increase the amount of power made by the engine? I have read that good places to start are the fuel pump, spark plugs, exhaust system, increase of engine volume (stroke; what do you reckon the volume I could get out of it is), air filter, new carburetor

In terms of modernizing the car a bit, I've considered adding an AC unit, heated mirrors and power steering. Keeping in mind that the engine bay is massive, I don't think space would be a problem. However, would it be at all possible and if so, what would I need to do in terms of electrical wiring? Also, do you think it would be possible to hook the AC to the current heat controls as I would like to keep the stock look of the dashboard if possible.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and assistance with this project!

Wishing you all a great day!

Cheers,

• Like 2

Welcome Krisiyan.

In all seriousness, getting close to that power from a CIH is possible, depending on your budget. But you will be needing a lot of engine work, and massively improve the breathing of the engine.

2,2 Crank, HC pistons, Forged rods and all balanced.   Twin Weber (or Dellorto) Carbs OR ITB and management, spicy camshaft, head ported and larger valves fitted. 4-2-1 exhaust manifold. So it’s a big shopping list of parts. Lots of posts about these type of items as individual in the forums over the years. 

Supercharging has been discussed recently, I will find the discussion and link it as there is some good thoughts in it.

To see a lot of that content, you will need access that is granted by joining the club as a web member. It’s cheap and definitely worthwhile.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 4

If you don't want to spend a fortune (and you would to get that sort of power out of a CIH) and you want to use the 1.9. Get it bored out as far as you can. Spend the money on a good cam, get the head sorted with bigger valves and the head properly flowed and then go with throttle bodies and full injection like the Omex 600 and a good exhaust and you should be around 160bhp+

The CIH is not like the ford crossflow where you can squeeze lots of power out of them as it needs a lot of work to get some decent flow for the full power range.

As soon as you get into stroking the 1.9 your are starting to get expensive.

What sort of budget did you have in mind?

and as @Jessopia74 says, join up and you will get lots of help.

Andy

• Like 1