Ascona B for sale

Rapierdave

Very reluctant sale of a rare and very good condition Ascona 1.6 DL.

Some of you will know this car well having owned it in the past, 

It is a 1980 Opel Ascona 1.6 DL in an eye catching colour of Turquoise.

The car is in fantastic condition for its 42 year age & comes with an extensive history including original bill of sale.

For those that don't know the car here are some links to its more recent history from 2006

The car was first registered on 27th August 1980 & was sold by an Opel dealership in Basingstoke, it was then sold 4 months later to a chap in Basingstoke who kept it until 19th July 2006 when acccording to the old V5 well known  OMOC member Chris Burt bought it. Chris has an eye for a good car & knew this was a bloody good example.

During Chris's ownership the car was lowered, ATS classic wheels were fitted to replace the Rostyle wheels & an SR steering wheel was fitted.

Chris sold the car on 27th November 2006 to a guy who wanted to modify it (see links above) but lots of people on the omoc forum thought it was too good & original to modify so enter well known omoc member from Cornwall Mr Paul Newport, who acquired the car on 16th December 2006.

If you read the link above you will see the work carried out by Paul but briefly the following was fitted during his ownership.

Webber carb conversion but retaining the original air filter box, Replacement seats from Ian Goacher as the old drivers seat was marked & sagging. Five speed box conversion from an Opel Manta but retaining the old gear stick & console for an original look. Front subframe & rear axle removed & repainted. Engine strip down & rebuild (it didn't need it but Paul is a perfectionist)

Car had done a genuine 55000 miles when Paul bought it.

In May 2013 Paul decide to sell the Ascona & i knew the car was a "one off " " never find another" example so bought it & drove it back from Penzance to Bristol on 111th May 2013.

The car has an Irmscher back box fitted plus clear front indicator lens.

The car is now registered as an Historic vehicle with the DVLA meaning it is tax & MOT exempt.

It was last on the road in 2019 when it was used for local meets & shows & i took it to the VBOA show at Sywell plus it was on the OMOC stand at the NEC classic car show in November 2019.

Last MOT was carried out on 7th June 2019 with a mileage of 61570

Current mileage reading is 62365.

If new owner wants i can put a new MOT on for buyer confidence.

Is the car concors ?

No it is in very good condition & a potential show winner but it is not perfect, there are a few small marks on the paint but nothing to detract from the look.

Slight noise from the gearbox believed to be possible wear in input shaft bearing.

Ok i hear you asking why are you selling a car you have owned for the last nine years ?

I have two other Manta's & having three classics is just too many especially following hardly any usage over the last two years.

I would like the car to go to a good home & remain original but do realise once in a new owners hands then its up to them.

I paid Paul Newport £3800 for the car nine years ago & believe prices have doubled since then so am open to sensible offers but am looking for around £8000, its a lot of money for a 4 door Ascona i know but i believe it is one of the best examples surviving in the UK & is a really eye catching colour.

Car comes with two different front grills so you can either have the correct "cheese cutter" grill or the earlier Black grill.

Ascona VBOA 2019.jpg

167.jpg

20130512_090324.jpg

Ascona VBOA 2019.jpg

20130512_090424.jpg

Ascona 3.jpg

IMG_20190713_152723160.jpg

IMG_20190623_093407703.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

Ascona.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Very reluctant sale of a rare and very good condition Ascona 1.6 DL.

Some of you will know this car well having owned it in the past, 

It is a 1980 Opel Ascona 1.6 DL in an eye catching colour of Turquoise.

The car is in fantastic condition for its 42 year age & comes with an extensive history including original bill of sale.

For those that don't know the car here are some links to its more recent history from 2006

The car was first registered on 27th August 1980 & was sold by an Opel dealership in Basingstoke, it was then sold 4 months later to a chap in Basingstoke who kept it until 19th July 2006 when acccording to the old V5 well known  OMOC member Chris Burt bought it. Chris has an eye for a good car & knew this was a bloody good example.

During Chris's ownership the car was lowered, ATS classic wheels were fitted to replace the Rostyle wheels & an SR steering wheel was fitted.

Chris sold the car on 27th November 2006 to a guy who wanted to modify it (see links above) but lots of people on the omoc forum thought it was too good & original to modify so enter well known omoc member from Cornwall Mr Paul Newport, who acquired the car on 16th December 2006.

If you read the link above you will see the work carried out by Paul but briefly the following was fitted during his ownership.

Webber carb conversion but retaining the original air filter box, Replacement seats from Ian Goacher as the old drivers seat was marked & sagging. Five speed box conversion from an Opel Manta but retaining the old gear stick & console for an original look. Front subframe & rear axle removed & repainted. Engine strip down & rebuild (it didn't need it but Paul is a perfectionist)

Car had done a genuine 55000 miles when Paul bought it.

In May 2013 Paul decide to sell the Ascona & i knew the car was a "one off " " never find another" example so bought it & drove it back from Penzance to Bristol on 111th May 2013.

The car has an Irmscher back box fitted plus clear front indicator lens.

The car is now registered as an Historic vehicle with the DVLA meaning it is tax & MOT exempt.

It was last on the road in 2019 when it was used for local meets & shows & i took it to the VBOA show at Sywell plus it was on the OMOC stand at the NEC classic car show in November 2019.

Last MOT was carried out on 7th June 2019 with a mileage of 61570

Current mileage reading is 62365.

If new owner wants i can put a new MOT on for buyer confidence.

Is the car concors ?

No it is in very good condition & a potential show winner but it is not perfect, there are a few small marks on the paint but nothing to detract from the look.

Slight noise from the gearbox believed to be possible wear in input shaft bearing.

Ok i hear you asking why are you selling a car you have owned for the last nine years ?

I have two other Manta's & having three classics is just too many especially following hardly any usage over the last two years.

I would like the car to go to a good home & remain original but do realise once in a new owners hands then its up to them.

I paid Paul Newport £3800 for the car nine years ago & believe prices have doubled since then so am open to sensible offers but am looking for around £8000, its a lot of money for a 4 door Ascona i know but i believe it is one of the best examples surviving in the UK & is a really eye catching colour.

Car comes with two different front grills so you can either have the correct "cheese cutter" grill or the earlier Black grill.

Ascona VBOA 2019.jpg

167.jpg

20130512_090324.jpg

Ascona VBOA 2019.jpg

20130512_090424.jpg

Ascona 3.jpg

IMG_20190713_152723160.jpg

IMG_20190623_093407703.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

Ascona.jpg

That’s how to write an advertisement. Great looking car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Just going to throw this in the mix - I feel it’s too cheap to be honest. 

nice car and best of luck with the sale. 

I based the price on what a similar achieved at Matthewsons last year. It made £6700 (£7500) with buyers premium, it was in good restored condition but it was a base model with no brightwork & was hearing aid beige so a pretty uninspiring colour.

An auction would obviously find the value of the car but by the time you take sellers premium off the price achieved & the fact that buyers premiums exist at most of the well known auction houses which can put people off bidding then the only options are

Classified advert with someone like Car & Classic

Auction with Car & Classic (no buyers fees, sellers fee of £600 inc vat)

Auction with Ebay, sometimes can work but is a haven for tyre kickers & messers.

13 hours ago, paulmanta said:

Hi,  id have that back in an instant if i didn't already have 9 cars and an Astramax van here.

Would love you to buy it back Paul,

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ascona now provisionally sold, deposit taken.

Car is off to the Emerald Isle, in fact most of the enquiries were from Ireland.

It would have been nice for it to have stayed on the UK mainland but no meaningful offers came in from UK buyers.

Coincidentally the last two cars i sold also went to Ireland, My Sunbeam Rapier in 2010 & a Manta Berlinetta Hatch in 2017.

Image051.thumb.jpg.742609bff5311807b276ba69159b70a1.jpgIMG_20171213_145155023.thumb.jpg.e978ee5571561d75c4aa0537c98b944a.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I missed this being for sale, as not been getting my updates through. I would have been interested, but the car would still have left UK mainland. May be more chance it will come back from Ireland than if it had come to me in NZ! 😉