Manta B Front Seats Wanted (1979 vintage - any colour/condition)

Irmscher Man

Hi,

I am going to try and have a bash at refurbishing the front seats on my '79 B series. I have got some really good seat covers in the right material (I picked them up 20 years ago) but before I destroy the perfectly usable seats in my car, I would like to have a go on a scrap seat frame. I'm not looking for the Recaros - just the standard B series tilting front seats (picture for reference).

So - does anyone have an old Manta B seat (or pair of front seats) kicking around that they don't need anymore?

Condition of seat covers is irrelevant really, as its only the frames that I am after. I am going to try and cut new foam (since buying an electric foam cutter at the weekend) and will get my spare covers fitted to the frames and see whether or not I have a future in auto upholstery 🙂

The annoying thing is that I had a really rough B series drivers seat that I used to use whenever one of the cars had any work done and I chucked it out when we moved.....why do you always regret throwing stuff like that away!

image.png.c314d0d1d5e819882adab92d61d8d54e.png

Same!  Chucked two,  as removed material, and the seat was made up of weird stuff, honestly can't even describe it,  it was like hay, straw,  some kind of hair etc, and it was standard!

Wonder would lower spec later mantas have better filling, ie 1.8 non recaros.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Fairly certain I have a pair of beige gt seats standard that I’m not going to need. Let me know if they’re any use to you. 

Thanks mate, I will let you know. I’ve been offered another set by Lewis, so we will see how easy it is to pick them up. I think there are a few bits I said I’d got for you too, so we could sort out a bit of a parts swap.

17 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

Thanks mate, I will let you know. I’ve been offered another set by Lewis, so we will see how easy it is to pick them up. I think there are a few bits I said I’d got for you too, so we could sort out a bit of a parts swap.

Yes that sounds like a plan. 
here they are. Don’t think I can afford to buy a seatless coupe to put them in, (have rears as well, bought from Ian Virco moons ago)

2177041D-0653-4796-915C-62BB24711882.jpeg

26 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

I wouldn't mess about...... I would you material to recover recaros, its tge seat everyone wants,  and they make a manta....

Exactly what I plan to do..... Although fully adjusted back, still not enough leg room. 

I wouldn't say it's what everyone wants, Recaros are great seats, but I wouldn't want them in a B1 personally.

• Like 3

I’ve got several sets of Recaros, Including a Blitz set but Im keeping the B original. They are without a doubt the best for a sporty drive but part of the charm of an early B is the comfy armchairs!

I think you are right Steve, chrome bumper seats are different.