Cavalier Coupe

IanG

Yep new seals and gaskets reset everything and fitted it, the splash guard needed a mod as the box bell housing was slightly different to the one in the car, replaced the ring gear (original had some damaged teeth), fixed a leak from Speedo drive, fitted my new kick down cable (works a treat) and test drove it for me.

Also they noted a few things on the car for me to look at, nothing serious, “while I was under the car I noticed” kinda stuff really helpful.

Tried the lockdown on the way home works perfectly, just on the last bit of full throttle, forgot the missus was following me and had to slow down and let her catch up…

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, IanG said:

Used wipers on the way home they work but don’t park themselves, is this likely switch or motor, I assume motor…..

Possibly not set quite right on the wiper splines or the splines on the motor.

Mine weren’t set right and the first time I used them they went down the bonnet not up the screen! 😳. Luckily they had new wiper blades so no harm done.

If you adjust them I suggest you do it with them in the elevated position until you know they’re right.

• Like 1

Had some time today to fiddle with the car, replaced the fuel tank boot trim and fitted some new HT leads, fired up fine.

Can’t anyone tell me a battery that fits under the bonnet with posts the right way around, I have a spare good battery but sadly it’s too tall.

20 minutes ago, IanG said:

Had some time today to fiddle with the car, replaced the fuel tank boot trim and fitted some new HT leads, fired up fine.

Can’t anyone tell me a battery that fits under the bonnet with posts the right way around, I have a spare good battery but sadly it’s too tall.

Got to make sure you get the right battery type (code) regardless of the batter technology type.

Have a look here;

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IanG said:

I’ve tried all sorts of batteries over the years but I think this one has been the best. It still turns the car over even when left for many months. I can’t tell you where to get one from as this turned up in a car I bought.

It also has terminals on the front if you want to connect anything else.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm local garage tried to fit my Sportex system today downpipe is fouling the auto box, looks like the old downpipe has a kink to clear the box, on to Sportex to see if they do one otherwise it all has to go back to them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanG said:

Hmmm local garage tried to fit my Sportex system today downpipe is fouling the auto box, looks like the old downpipe has a kink to clear the box, on to Sportex to see if they do one otherwise it all has to go back to them!

I am sure the auto down pipe is different 

• 2 weeks later...

So, Sportex are aware the downpipe won’t fit an auto box car but don’t offer an alternative.

Will have to go to a fabricator to get it sorted, meanwhile have been in the garage this weekend and fitted new HT leads and coil, check the plugs and  still running too rich so backed the mixture screw off a bit more.

• Like 1