Cavalier Coupe

IanG

Spare few hours today so fitted electronic ignition, backed off the mixture as still a bit rich, fired up the Cav, let her get up to temp and think about going out for petrol, then suddenly,  hey what’s that steam wafting around?

A quick look  underneath and water is  dripping down by the bell hosing onto the exhaust, OK so relieved it’s not oil or atf but where is it coming from.

Head under the bonnet and it’s the lower hose onto the heater, so if i’m lucky it’s the hose, if I’m unlucky it’s heater out, fortunately I have a good spare. 

If I’d gone for fuel looking at the leak I’d have been lucky to get back without overheating.

So I guess I owe the car a thank you, could have been a lot worse!

• Like 1

A day of surprises, leaky heater matrix and a call from an old mate down south.

We both used to tune Viva engines some 40 years ago, he is having a clear out, has some interesting stuff like a Blydenstein 1500 Chevette engine but also a 2.4 Blydenstein lump that was fitted to one of his Exclusive Coupes.

I’m heading down to Southampton in the van at the weekend to bring back as much as I can fit in.

I met Bill at Station Works Shepreth back in the 90’s when he tuned my Cav Sportshatch, Manta GTE & Nova SR, very excited to see what else my mate has.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IanG said:

A day of surprises, leaky heater matrix and a call from an old mate down south.

We both used to tune Viva engines some 40 years ago, he is having a clear out, has some interesting stuff like a Blydenstein 1500 Chevette engine but also a 2.4 Blydenstein lump that was fitted to one of his Exclusive Coupes.

I’m heading down to Southampton in the van at the weekend to bring back as much as I can fit in.

I met Bill at Station Works Shepreth back in the 90’s when he tuned my Cav Sportshatch, Manta GTE & Nova SR, very excited to see what else my mate has.

Sounds interesting, keep us posted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Going to replace leaky speedo seals at the weekend, anything to watch out for?

Are the seals located on the speedo drive or the retaining ring or both?

On an auto box btw

On 12/02/2023 at 21:48, Trooker said:

Sounds interesting, keep us posted. 

Disappointment I’m afraid the Chevette lump is 1500 Ford pre crossflow that came out of a modded car, the 2.4 has a cracked block and damage to the head surface, the head is missing. I came back with nothing to show for my trip!

there is an o ring on its outer .thats straightforward enough but theres also a specific seal inside it too. a proper o/haul kit would have it but you could possibly replace it with an oil seal from an engineering supplier. ive yet to do mine .not playing out weather yet !

also .with yours being an auto they often leak from the o ring that holds the dipstick/filler tube. this runs along the flange and gives the impression its leaking elsewhere !

yours should be ok there but you never know ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IanG said:

Disappointment I’m afraid the Chevette lump is 1500 Ford pre crossflow that came out of a modded car, the 2.4 has a cracked block and damage to the head surface, the head is missing. I came back with nothing to show for my trip!

That is rather disappointing but hope you had a decent day out in Southampton for all that. 

27 minutes ago, Trooker said:

That is rather disappointing but hope you had a decent day out in Southampton for all that. 

Met some

old mates and had a few beers so yes good my god it’s changed though!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

there is an o ring on its outer .thats straightforward enough but theres also a specific seal inside it too. a proper o/haul kit would have it but you could possibly replace it with an oil seal from an engineering supplier. ive yet to do mine .not playing out weather yet !

also .with yours being an auto they often leak from the o ring that holds the dipstick/filler tube. this runs along the flange and gives the impression its leaking elsewhere !

yours should be ok there but you never know ?

Got a kit from Germany so should fit ok

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to think about handing the Cav over to someone who can give it a through look at and assess what needs doing.

Basically a mechanical check over and do things I can’t like the axle, swan necks and bodywork, especially the door bottoms.

I appreciate most good shops are busy so I’m planning ahead, anyone come recommended or want to take this on, preferably Yorkshire area.

I’d like to get the car to a standard where it can be driven daily with confidence and without rust :)

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

they are not a complicated car by any means and the idea of 'making them suitable for eveyday use 'is a strange expression. mine are used as everyday vehicles on rotation every week including winter. i simply get them up on the ramps in spring for a full clean and check over.there is usually very minimal work to do to keep them up to better than mot standard .mine are mot'd as normal.

as for reliability then a component or wire can fail on any car,old or new so as long as you have got it maintained to a good standard with everything fitted and functioning as it was intended all should be well.

rust however is another matter and i would strongly advise learning and doing your own repairs in this matter. if you have a mechanic or garage reccommended and you think you can trust what they are telling you and doing then thats fine also.

when you recently buy an older car they need fully going through from top to bottom because you never know what has been done over the years,how its been done ,wether is correct or bodged. you just dont know.

from what pics ive seen of yours theres not a lot wrong about it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Finally have some time to spend on the car early Sept have a week off and will finally get to replace the fuel lines and fix the heater rad water leak, then I can put a few miles in before autumn/winter.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Been away and not started the Cav for over a month, needed to move it to get Xmas lights out of the roof, guess what would not start grrrrr…..

Eventually fired up rough as hell, reverting to my basic training I pulled plug leads off one by one to find no3 not firing, ht lead to dizzy was loose, brooom now it’s fine, just to be sure took it out for a spin in the dark, omg forgot how far headlights have come since the 70’s!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

TRUE BUT

sorry if ive mentioned this before. a major bugbear of mine is the stupidly bright lights on modern cars. they are not necessary in any way or form and only serve to distract oncoming drivers. 

the headlights fitted to our cars as standard were and still are perfectly capable .nothing wrong with a good 55w halogen at all.

not that i am reffering to anyone here / just a general note .anyone who cannot see to drive properly with normal headlights just shouldnt be driving at all. progress is one thing ( to a point) but making things brighter and brighter doesnt acheive anything in my book. 

same as making tv's videos dvd's etc hd,then blueray ,then 4k .  what the hell next. whos got 4k ( or better ) eyes anyway .lol !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

TRUE BUT

sorry if ive mentioned this before. a major bugbear of mine is the stupidly bright lights on modern cars. they are not necessary in any way or form and only serve to distract oncoming drivers. 

the headlights fitted to our cars as standard were and still are perfectly capable .nothing wrong with a good 55w halogen at all.

not that i am reffering to anyone here / just a general note .anyone who cannot see to drive properly with normal headlights just shouldnt be driving at all. progress is one thing ( to a point) but making things brighter and brighter doesnt acheive anything in my book. 

same as making tv's videos dvd's etc hd,then blueray ,then 4k .  what the hell next. whos got 4k ( or better ) eyes anyway .lol !

I needed a new bulb before my mot and bought a pair of xenon bulbs off eBay. It failed the mot because the bulbs had no pattern! People think they are getting better / brighter lights but they are blinding people because the bulbs are just bulbs and not “headlight” bulbs. My garage is failing loads of cars for this reason.

When I reread the eBay add I noticed it said “Not for Road Use”.

• Like 1

yes this is true. 

you cannot fit zenon (or led bulbs ) to any headlight not designed for it.

you cannot technically fit a zenon headlight to a car even if you have the correct actual headlight either as in most ( if not all) cases it has to have auto levelling and cleaning systems too.

both my cavs have normal bulbs and are perfectly fine. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 15/12/2023 at 17:50, cam.in.head said:

Yes! It's been shown that modern cool white LEDs create more dark shadows than warm white lights like traditional halogens. This means despite being able to see the road better, you can have much worse visibility of anything in shadow like people stepping out to cross, animals, etc.

There's also the argument that in clear weather, if you're going fast enough to need full beam, perhaps you're going too fast. Motorways are designed for comfortable driving at speeds in excess of 80mph+, other roads not so much.

I have had very good headlights on the last few daily drivers I have owned over the last few years. I completely agree that the fixed super bright lights are bloody annoying. My X3Mc has fully adaptive headlights that move depending on the oncoming vehicle. They push the headlights out N/S or dip the O/S as needed. 
But, it’s not on default, it needs to be switched on even with the normal swatch on Auto. 
Without, I guess it would be pretty much just like any of the other glaring at me coming head on, worst ofc on fast A-roads that I seem to drive an above amount of miles on.

Can’t say I immediately miss them when driving the Van or any other of our cars, but I do think the newer cars suffer far more for dirt so perhaps something in that about the LEDs making more shadows. 

No one else has said it so I might as well, headlight brightness sums up.......that attitude, as long as I'm alright, I'm brighter than you, i don't give a......yuck

Try it on a B road, dark, rain on helmet visor, it's kinda trippy at 60 mph. But hey that doesn't matter. Does it......😎😎😎