Cavalier Coupe

IanG

On 26/04/2022 at 14:31, IanG said:

Been searching does anyone do inner rear arches/repair panels?

Most posts seem to suggest fabricating a repair.

Will stop cluttering  up the thread and next time go to parts wanted!

I used another wheel arch repair to do repair look on my cavalier resto

• Like 1

Meant to add apart from the steering rack issues and petrol fumes the car was great, the 2.0 engine pulls really well with the auto box, checking under the bonnet someone has fitted a Weber twin choke.

Just now, IanG said:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by IanG
  • Like 3

hi. yes the 2.0 and autobox is a good combo. (once had an ascona auto with a 1.6 ,that was definately lacking thou)

lots of people slate the autobox but its a tried and trusted design that been around for years and works well when in good order. i have a 2.2 auto in mine and thats even better.(and more economical  too !)

when or if you get to check your steering rack just make sure that it is actually faulty or worn.they usually last well and dont give much trouble.obvious places to check are outer and inner joints and the adjustment preload too.if you get a recon rack you dont always get a good unit.sometimes they still have the original bush on the paasenger side end. they can wear giving a lot of up and down movement.

if you are running standard wheels and tyres and standard springs you should set it up to aim for around 2-3  mm toe in. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 20:18, Kurtupsin75 said:

I used another wheel arch repair to do repair look on my cavalier resto

Same here, bodyshop used another pair of outers to make really tidy inner wheelarches.

• Like 1

Quick update, four jobs to do over the next week, replace the rotten fuel tank breather pipes, fit the new steering rack and track rod ends (nos unipart rack from eBay), check the prop and diff for play to stop the clonk when selecting drive & reverse  and get the rad re-cored as it’s leaking badly, had a very helpful chat with Northern Radiators at Leeds.

Then I can drive it a bit more!

Edited by IanG
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 08:42, ®evo03 said:

Was wondering recently if later cars where painted underneath,  as I think earlier cars have body colour paint underneath.  Original,  from the factory.

Also wondered if people ever had issues with previous weld repairs,  I haven't been around long enough to witness issues with previous repairs. 

Northern are great tbh, he has my rad there currently for refurb.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IanG said:

Quick update, four jobs to do over the next week, replace the rotten fuel tank breather pipes, fit the new steering rack and track rod ends (nos unipart rack from eBay), check the prop and diff for play to stop the clonk when selecting drive & reverse  and get the rad re-cored as it’s leaking badly, had a very helpful chat with Northern Radiators at Leeds.

Then I can drive it a bit more!

Fuel lines done today, radio fitted, cigarette lighter refitted, dash wiring loom tidied up, boot light repaired, good to tick a few things off the list - which keeps growing!

Might try to fit the rear seat belts tomorrow, and plant some veg as everything keeps growing, must be that time of year!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

Nice to see a flush radio!  The only one I ever had that was flush in the past was from blaupunkt  and it cost a weeks wage back in the day!

These modern retro ones are snazzy 😎

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

didnt know they were still going. 

they used to do a repair service on fuel tanks called "renew" with a lifetime warranty (hopefully!).

my hatch tank was done many moons ago .

Yeah, i]they are still doing fuel tanks. He made a point of mentioning it to me.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

thats good then because as we all  know finding a good hatch tank is hard these days.

Once upon a time you could just go to the scrappy, not these days!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanG said:

Once upon a time you could just go to the scrappy, not these days!

Sadly that us due to the rarity of the Manta. They are too rare really for a big aftermarket following, meaning the pattern manufacturers basically want their costs covering for making any die. Like the Battery tray deal - we needed a large initial order before they would be viable.

so the best deal is either the "renew" system or maybee even finding a modern tank of similar dimentions to fit in its place ? 

some would say a custom tank could be made also ?

at least its only hatches. saloon / coupe tanks dont rust !

• Like 1

Well, a few weeks into having a cav after 30 years since the last one and I’ve learnt a lot already, thanks for the good advice from the forum, this weekend rad comes out for refurb, and a bit of cleaning and tinkering!

Edited by IanG
  • Like 2

hi. easy enough to  convert .

you will need 

6 dial dash obviously !(with the half moon connector plug if poss)

2 terminal oil pressure sender unit, (either the correct fine thread unit and angle adaptor or a course thread type and fit it above the oil filter into the blank plug there)

the main dash connector you have now can be re-used but you have to relocate the wires as for some stupid design they are all different on a 6 dial dash ? i did have the pinout and colours somewhere BUT if you get a cut off of wires with your new dash with plug on the colours will speak for themselves .

you then just need 2 wires extra to engine compartment. one to the coil green wire for tacho and another for the oil pressure extra wire. 

if you get an age related dash your existing speedometer will fit in .

hope this helps a little

• Like 3

Found out today why radios reception was rubbish aerial lead plug into radio looked someone had wired it in blindfolded, new lead fitted and all is well. 
Radiator is out now ready for refurb, trans oils pipes securely protected. 
Found out the carb is indeed a Weber complete with a leak on the top housing, another job for eBay…….

• Like 2