Cavalier Coupe

IanG

Where can I get coupe rear quarterlight seals, opening windows? I’m halfway through bonding the catches and found the seals are quite perished.

Another day another credit card spend!

3 hours ago, IanG said:

Radiator back from Northern Radiators at Leeds looks like a good job, plumbing it in at the weekend. 

Holy feck, you better have not got mine!  I was waiting over 3weeks for it and not picking it up till weekend 😬🤦‍♂️😂

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Holy feck, you better have not got mine!  I was waiting over 3weeks for it and not picking it up till weekend 😬🤦‍♂️😂

Ha ha if it is I will fetch it over, mine was auto so with oil cooler, looks like a fine job of work, too, shame to spoil it by using it really…..

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IanG said:

Ha ha if it is I will fetch it over, mine was auto so with oil cooler, looks like a fine job of work, too, shame to spoil it by using it really…..

Yeah, tbh he said he needed to get some cores in when I was there. So I guess they have ready for the influx. I need to send them another one anyway, so that would work out well if the turn around time us back to a couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Yeah, tbh he said he needed to get some cores in when I was there. So I guess they have ready for the influx. I need to send them another one anyway, so that would work out well if the turn around time us back to a couple of weeks. 

Damn we should have asked for discount on 3 rads, sorry I work in procurement, it’s a habit :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rad in and leak free, trans pipes are easier to get out than put back grrrrr!

One rear quarterlight seal and catch done, do the other one tomorrow, whoever designed the pins and hinges was a sadist!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IanG said:

Rad in and leak free, trans pipes are easier to get out than put back grrrrr!

One rear quarterlight seal and catch done, do the other one tomorrow, whoever designed the pins and hinges was a sadist!

Are you just changing seals or swapping from non opening ones?

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

Are you just changing seals or swapping from non opening ones?

Just changing seals non opening if these still leak!

Also found out why it’s been a faff starting, choke is half open! Now disconnected, very frayed cable need a new one, hoping I can run a new inner through so I don’t have to take the dash apart……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

should just be able to thread a new inner through.

so long as its a similar style as regards the twist and lock or pull type 

Just ordered the same cable from weber, done a temp fix with an old cable repair kit, have found the 2.0 does need a little choke when starting up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IanG said:

Just ordered the same cable from weber, done a temp fix with an old cable repair kit, have found the 2.0 does need a little choke when starting up.

Definitely, even the GTE us a pig to start without the 5th injector for cold start working. But the Weber card is a good match for the engine, so should run sweet. Only issue I remember was on very hot days having vapour locking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Definitely, even the GTE us a pig to start without the 5th injector for cold start working. But the Weber card is a good match for the engine, so should run sweet. Only issue I remember was on very hot days having vapour locking. 

Seems carb was re-jetted for the 2.0 a few years back it does run nice, putting a pancake filter in place of the monster air box tomorrow, do love to hear the air being sucked in!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IanG said:

Seems carb was re-jetted for the 2.0 a few years back it does run nice, putting a pancake filter in place of the monster air box tomorrow, do love to hear the air being sucked in!

Grin factor 10😁

Noticed the alternator is wobbling a bit another job to check the mounts and bolts, have taken out the other opening rear quarterlight, both clips need fixing to the glass and new seal to go in, had to cut out the retaining pin again as was seized solid, at least it will be waterproof, the list of jobs is getting shorter - for now!

57 minutes ago, IanG said:

Air filter on, had to extend the rocker breather pipe, it is running nice now.

This short clip cost me £1.34 in petrol 🤔

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

sounds realy nice.

alternator lower mount has a pair of rubber bushes.they can become soft. easily available on ebay if you want to swap them, (£3.70)

also a worn fanbelt can cause it to wobble.

Just checked and bushes are toast thanks for the advice new set are on order!

Car is back from having new steering rack fitted and 4 wheel alignment so I managed a drive in it for the first time on a few weeks, back to work with a grin on my face 😁 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, IanG said:

Car is back from having new steering rack fitted and 4 wheel alignment so I managed a drive in it for the first time on a few weeks, back to work with a grin on my face 😁 

Yay! They certainly produce a grin factor 😎

• Like 1

Two people stopped and said “ nice car mate” and I only drove 1/4 mile to the garage in my village, will have to get used to the stares. Funnily enough kids seem to like it too although they have no idea what it is 😂 

• Like 4