Cavalier Coupe

IanG

So the jobs continue, carb is over fuelling and throttle sticks, have a new Weber 32/36 so will fit that at the weekend. 
Will sell the old one for spares/repair.

Rattle from engine area is the bonnet stops perished, replacements on order!

Edited by IanG
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IanG said:

So the jobs continue, carb is over fuelling and throttle sticks, have a new Weber 32/36 so will fit that at the weekend. 

All progress ! At least some gremlins in the mechanics have been found, keep it up 😎

7 hours ago, IanG said:

The bonnet on my was rattling ( had it over a year now never driven it on the rod) when bonnet down tried adjusting the bonnet catch,ect still knocking.Fitted bonnet rubbers of a Renault working spot on 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

All progress ! At least some gremlins in the mechanics have been found, keep it up 😎

Thanks it’s a labour of love, funny how things I knew about these cars 30 years ago all comes flooding back to help me when I need to do something. Although I’m better on Vivas than Cav/Mantas but learning quick.

The car lives in our garage which has an internal door and so every time I go in to get something out I see the car and want to drive it!

• Like 1

yes its all the fun of owning a classic . what we do that we find extremely enjoyable other people would be totally bored by. every week when i go into work they ask what ive done over the weekend and when i tell them i spent a day washing and polishing they think im mad.

this weekend the plan was to wash properly 1 car and then autoglym it and wax .then possibly set up another on a level floor using various sheets to get the car level to 1mm using a water level and then check and adjust the geometry using my own designed guages for caster ,camber and toe.when i told them it may take me a whole day just to get it set up they again thought i was mad and just come out with the usual "scrap it" comments that i regularly get. no one there appreciates classics and cant understand why i would want to drive a car that has no central locking,air con,electric windows or worse: no kind of screen or interface !

as regards cav vs vivas theyre not a million miles apart especially as regards setting up the engine and ignition and to be honest for driving too although the cavs engine and suspension does improve on the vivas set up  

you mention viva ?

have you got one also or just remember working on / owning. 

i still have mine that ive had since 1990 .regularly used in rotation with my cavs and omega

4 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

yes its all the fun of owning a classic . what we do that we find extremely enjoyable other people would be totally bored by. every week when i go into work they ask what ive done over the weekend and when i tell them i spent a day washing and polishing they think im mad.

this weekend the plan was to wash properly 1 car and then autoglym it and wax .then possibly set up another on a level floor using various sheets to get the car level to 1mm using a water level and then check and adjust the geometry using my own designed guages for caster ,camber and toe.when i told them it may take me a whole day just to get it set up they again thought i was mad and just come out with the usual "scrap it" comments that i regularly get. no one there appreciates classics and cant understand why i would want to drive a car that has no central locking,air con,electric windows or worse: no kind of screen or interface !

as regards cav vs vivas theyre not a million miles apart especially as regards setting up the engine and ignition and to be honest for driving too although the cavs engine and suspension does improve on the vivas set up  

you mention viva ?

have you got one also or just remember working on / owning. 

i still have mine that ive had since 1990 .regularly used in rotation with my cavs and omega

I had a 1966 HA SL90 which I rebuilt then sold with just the bodywork to finish, it’s still SORN which is a shame.  
I sold it because my memory was great car but  really the handling was awful and my missus refused to get in it, the good news is she loves the Cav!

Edited by IanG

ah yes the original ha.

my dad had one when he worked for telecom and used it all over yorkshire in all weathers.said it was a great van to drive so maybee the weight in the back helped the handling a lot. 

i do intend to get one some day and do a telecom replica but they are getting thin on the ground now and the good ones fetch silly money .maybee one day !

6 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

ah yes the original ha.

my dad had one when he worked for telecom and used it all over yorkshire in all weathers.said it was a great van to drive so maybee the weight in the back helped the handling a lot. 

i do intend to get one some day and do a telecom replica but they are getting thin on the ground now and the good ones fetch silly money .maybee one day !

Vans had a lower ratio axle, I put one in my HA which was a 1256 Chevette lump, ported & big valve head, tuftrided & balanced crank, twin Strombergs, Brabham 4:2:1 exhaust, was very quick ( back in the day) would chew up a 2.0 capri off the lights but topped out at 65- 70 mph.

Later on it went into a Chevette which could pull 110 as I found out on the M3 one Sunday morning and got off as the copper said “no one will believe me, don’t do it again!”

• Haha 2

On 04/06/2022 at 16:40, cam.in.head said:

sounds realy nice.

alternator lower mount has a pair of rubber bushes.they can become soft. easily available on ebay if you want to swap them, (£3.70)

also a worn fanbelt can cause it to wobble.

Bushes and new bolt fitted and no more wobbly alternator!

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted the remaining rear quarterlight, new courtesy light door switches and checked the car over then took it for its longest run yet, about 3 miles and up to 60mph, all good, the engine and auto box pulls really well, very nice torque, forgot how good the cih lump is, it’s been a very long time.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rapierdave said:

What happened to the original wheel centre caps ?

They were on there when i owned it.

Still have them, well 4 out of 5 they need a clean up as rusty, they will go back on at some point in the future.

One flew off coming back from doing the tracking, several have missing tangs and a bit loose and I don’t want to lose any more…..

Meant to say keeping the car as original as possible, original rad has been refurbed, steering rack too, any other old bits like bonnet stops are all being kept in a 📦 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanG said:

Still have them, well 4 out of 5 they need a clean up as rusty, they will go back on at some point in the future.

One flew off coming back from doing the tracking, several have missing tangs and a bit loose and I don’t want to lose any more…..

Black mate 👍

• Like 1

Here we go cleaned up and rust proofed, had to solder a small strip of metal where a tang was missing does the job for now

Used some ceramic coating to keep the damp off them and stop any rust I hope

Edited by IanG
  • Like 6

Drove around the village tonight, two lads  in a Focus ST about half my age followed me and waved as I turned off to my road, not sure they knew what the hell I was driving

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IanG said:

Drove around the village tonight, two lads  in a Focus ST about half my age followed me and waved as I turned off to my road, not sure they knew what the hell I was driving

Parked outside the local shop met a nice chap in an immaculate Mk2 red Cav, he lives in the next village so swopped numbers to meet up, all we need now is a Mk3 to make the set!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IanG said:

Parked outside the local shop met a nice chap in an immaculate Mk2 red Cav, he lives in the next village so swopped numbers to meet up, all we need now is a Mk3 to make the set!

Awesome! The world is small after all 😎

On 27/06/2022 at 19:26, IanG said:
On 27/06/2022 at 19:26, IanG said:

Wiper blades, mine are 19” and look tiny, reckon I could get away with 20” or even 21”, any advice welcome!

Kadjar 2016/18 wipers will fit just have to  open up the wiper arm up a bit.Have some if interested for the cost of post 

• Like 2