Cavalier Coupe

IanG

On 01/07/2022 at 22:21, IanG said:

Yes please let me know what the post is and how I can settle up :)

Please let me know how that goes, had the same thought last time I was out that the wipers seem tiny.

Been gathering parts for cavalier twin headlight conversion, what am I missing?….

Light units obviously but the frame only has two holes so how does the other side fit in place?

Also the light housing has threaded screw holes but how do the attach to the frame for the lights?

Any help appreciated, want to be able to revert to stock as well, so will need to keep the loom intact and piggy back off it.

The mounting frame is Hella.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The two screws in each unit are the adjusters, they adjust from the front so,  you need to remove the bezel.

So the screws gets all the adjustment, other two corner sit on plastic spacers, stays. 

As for fitting the bezel, best I've seen is threaded bar,  penny washer,  and wing nut, very agricultural. 

27 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

The two screws in each unit are the adjusters, they adjust from the front so,  you need to remove the bezel.

So the screws gets all the adjustment, other two corner sit on plastic spacers, stays. 

As for fitting the bezel, best I've seen is threaded bar,  penny washer,  and wing nut, very agricultural. 

Thanks makes sense. The original lights are held in by 4 screws the new units only have two on one side, guess I need to offer them up and see if I need to make a plate up or drill holes.

Edited by IanG

• 4 weeks later...

OK so can’t find these Cavalier door release trims so getting my local 3D printing company to make some, if anyone wants some (unpainted) let me know as once they are scanned should not cost a lot to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/07/2022 at 14:10, plumster said:

Please let me know how that goes, had the same thought last time I was out that the wipers seem tiny.

Sorry chaps,did miss this,over the weekend will try and find some wipes,as the manta is on axal stand’s 

7 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

She's almost lookin starmist black in the pic

It looks like bright blue in the sunshine,not that it gets in the sunshine much.

lan have found 2 wipes,use but in good condition.

if PM your address will get them posted out to you 

• Like 1

Not finding the time I need to work on the car, haven’t touched it for over two weeks.

So the missus said why don’t you book it in at Marks (my local old school village garage). Now why didn’t I think of that, going to see him in the morning get him to fit new shocks, new pinion bearing & doughnut, renew the flexi fuel lines. I have all the parts just not the time.

He will be glad to see me, likes working on a car with no black boxes.

So went to cinema to see Thor film, first cinema in over 2 years.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

Well said MrsG. A bit of extra help with focussed work can really help deal with the whole time availability & subsequent frustrations. 

I hope it all goes really well 👍

Thanks Trooker, she understands my obsession, also a good reason to keep working after I retired in early 2019, pays for the hobbies!

• Like 4

On 31/07/2022 at 12:18, IanG said:

OK so can’t find these Cavalier door release trims so getting my local 3D printing company to make some, if anyone wants some (unpainted) let me know as once they are scanned should not cost a lot to make.

These are being printed next week, I will get a CAD file which I’m happy to share with the club so anyone can get them printed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got some time to work on the Cav today, new alternator, points, plugs, new gearbox filter and ATF, cleaned inside & out and back in the garage before teatime!

6 minutes ago, IanG said:

Got some time to work on the Cav today, new alternator, points, plugs, new gearbox filter and ATF, cleaned inside & out and back in the garage before teatime!

Oh and most importantly the opening rear windows don’t leak now with the new seals!

Edited by IanG
  • Like 5

On 14/08/2022 at 16:50, IanG said:

Oh and most importantly the opening rear windows don’t leak now with the new seals!

Just looking at the height of your car sitting on the rostyle wheels, think they are 13”? Are your springs original? If so could you take a measurement from ground to arch for front/rear please? 
had a few ppl buy springs just lately and a true std. road height is what we seem to be missing.

5 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Just looking at the height of your car sitting on the rostyle wheels, think they are 13”? Are your springs original? If so could you take a measurement from ground to arch for front/rear please? 
had a few ppl buy springs just lately and a true std. road height is what we seem to be missing.

Will do the don't know if springs are original but I’m happy with how it sits 

1 hour ago, IanG said:

Will do the don't know if springs are original but I’m happy with how it sits 

So just measured up 63cm from 66cm rear. Just gives it a slight nose down stance.

Very happy too that both sides are the same height!

Just now, IanG said:

So just measured up 63cm from 66cm rear. Just gives it a slight nose down stance.

Rostyles are indeed 13 inch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IanG said:

Rostyles are indeed 13 inch.

Thanks for that. Yeah I do think the std stance has always been a little higher at rear. Good easy number to keep in mind too.

6 hours ago, IanG said:

I have my eye on a Berlinetta 3 speed auto box off a 1979 car I assume there is no difference to my 1976 auto cavalier, looks the same but worth checking!

Edited by IanG