Best oil catch tank for a c20xe?

Sutty2006

I fitted an oil catch tank to my XE but it blows the dipstick/gaskets out of the engine. I need a larger capacity/flow version to allow the engine to continue to breath. Can anyone recommend one? And while we are on the subject, what do you do with the smaller pipe from the rocker cover? Some sources say to blank it off but at which end? 

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’m guessing the small pipe comes up from crank case then vents through to the larger pipe in the rocker cover? 

Yeah, but did you just try to Tee thus off, or run them separately to the catch can? 
But there is a breather Mod for the cam cover on the XE to help get the pressures reduced. 
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?114039-*HOW-TO*-C20XE-Breather-Mod

Edited by Jessopia74
Correct link

personally never seen the point or reasoning behind the oil catch cans. 

it has to be vented to the atmosphere anyway otherwise pressure will build up and blow seals or gaskets and when it is vented it stinks of oil fumes from any following car. 

i understand that they allow more fresh filtered air into the engine to give a better burn but surely the differences would be minute in terms of performance anyway ? 

12 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

personally never seen the point or reasoning behind the oil catch cans. 

it has to be vented to the atmosphere anyway otherwise pressure will build up and blow seals or gaskets and when it is vented it stinks of oil fumes from any following car. 

i understand that they allow more fresh filtered air into the engine to give a better burn but surely the differences would be minute in terms of performance anyway ? 

They are mostly for when the induction system has changed. Keeping a crank case at a negative pressure will give better performance gains.
The evap oil burns just as fuel would, so the closed loop system with a lambda would make very minor adjustments to the injection pulse to compensate anyway. 
The XE head in particular, requires quite a bit of negative pressure in the inlet manifold to work correctly.  So drive style, age, oil type, older engine carbon etc slight modifications to induction tract all play their part on the XE to frustrate how it should be working, hence the modification that is extremely common.

Mine is passing a bit of oil, through the breather. I will rebuild it one day but not right now, I just need to put the oil into a tank so that it can be disposed of instead of filling up my inlet manifold. I think this engine breathes heavy and catch tanks still vent to atmosphere but collect oil and moisture from the engine anyway. 

• Like 1