Jump to content

Exclusive coupe for sale


Recommended Posts

Manta prices seem to be on the rise again, this one seems heavily undercoated on the chassis rails, front inner headlight area, looks presentable on top and interior though.

 

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154990029649?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0dmT5t3tQLa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=EzFkRTiTQ2G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Danny D114BCW said:

That’s car dealer advert bollocks who knows little about what they’re on about/selling I think.

Thought as much, gauging by the rest of the typos. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With that exclusive hatch recently selling for £17300..could the asking price of this be somewhere near, given that its the more desirable coupe perhaps.

The underseal on the frame rails in the engine bay is just wrong and a complete eyesore🤢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, evo3000 said:

With that exclusive hatch recently selling for £17300..could the asking price of this be somewhere near, given that its the more desirable coupe perhaps.

The underseal on the frame rails in the engine bay is just wrong and a complete eyesore🤢

Could be legit protection. 
 

could also be legit hiding something more sinister. 
 

Only the one that coughs up 18 large will find out! But I wouldn’t want to spend that kind of money and find hidden rust. I can deal with hidden rust on my 200 quid shitter! 🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/05/2022 at 18:51, Jonathan Pounsett said:

It looks ghastly, but if it was put on years ago may have preserved swan necks very well.

I had the same worries when I bought mine. Under seal all over the underside, suspension, brakes, axle, engine, under the battery, inside the sunroof well etc. Some of it looked new probably to tidy it up before sale and some was old.

I am slowly cleaning it off with white spirit and a kitchen scourer as I upgrade the suspension etc. To date everything underneath the under seal has cleaned up really well back to the original paint. I have only repainted stuff because of chips in the original paint where it was back to bare metal, and to have a consistent colour. The story of the car is that it had been garage stored for 20years and it has only done 25k miles. So it looks like the intent was to preserve rather than conceal.

I do have a worry around the spare wheel well as it looks like there is some badly applied glass fibre but it’s definitely steel underneath. Wondering if a new well has been badly welded in and the glass fibre was an attempt to waterproof, but will get to it.

 

11DF7F5E-45B5-4770-9044-FF60E8E77C74.jpeg

0EDAA5CA-3F84-482D-AAD0-82C1FA4EB90F.jpeg

D66023FE-E156-4C9F-BA8D-3B13613E1739.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, evo3000 said:

With that exclusive hatch recently selling for £17300..could the asking price of this be somewhere near, given that its the more desirable coupe perhaps.

That was £17300 plus fees which put it up to £18800 according to the new owner. After seeing that hatch this week on my ramp it is mostly nice but has some issues and only went to that amount as the buyer got a little carried away in the bidding and went over his planned max. But he is happy with it and will enjoy driving it (once i fix the brakes and suspension, and steering, and wiring, and a few other things :wacko:)

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was a bit miffed when my manta got delivered ( bought it with out seeing it) as it was in lreland 

got told never been welded,that because it had glass fibre on the inner wings,a small part of the battery tray.

As the inner wings need attention,wiring, but the swan necks jacking points floor are solid 

For the price and it’s only light welding required is not so bad for the price 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the thing is. if you buy an unknown car,not knowing whats under any paint or underseal and intend to keep the car then the best bet is once you know the metalwork underneath is good.be it like that or after you have repaired it then get the underseal of your choice on there as quick and thick as you can. these cars (and most cars pre 90's) rust for fun.i used to rebuild my cars underneath regularly.deoxing arms etc and painting everything ip to look like new but it doesnt last.so now i think the best bet is to keep it covered.it helps with soundproofing as well to a degree !.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

the thing is. if you buy an unknown car,not knowing whats under any paint or underseal and intend to keep the car then the best bet is once you know the metalwork underneath is good.be it like that or after you have repaired it then get the underseal of your choice on there as quick and thick as you can. these cars (and most cars pre 90's) rust for fun.i used to rebuild my cars underneath regularly.deoxing arms etc and painting everything ip to look like new but it doesnt last.so now i think the best bet is to keep it covered.it helps with soundproofing as well to a degree !.

If you are keeping a good build log as most OMOC members do, showing what/how it has been repaired, and more importantly, what the under-seal etc is protecting, then it’s fine. The issue is we all know what the majority of bodge artists use under seal to hide crud. 
so as you say, there is a level of trust required when buying a car. But definitely better the devil you know 👍

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

the thing is. if you buy an unknown car,not knowing whats under any paint or underseal and intend to keep the car then the best bet is once you know the metalwork underneath is good.be it like that or after you have repaired it then get the underseal of your choice on there as quick and thick as you can. these cars (and most cars pre 90's) rust for fun.i used to rebuild my cars underneath regularly.deoxing arms etc and painting everything ip to look like new but it doesnt last.so now i think the best bet is to keep it covered.it helps with soundproofing as well to a degree !.

Isn’t Upol raptor truck bed liner the stuff to use underneath nowadays as it’s tough aka under seal but can be tinted & applied like paint?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Trooker said:

Isn’t Upol raptor truck bed liner the stuff to use underneath nowadays as it’s tough aka under seal but can be tinted & applied like paint?

 

Yes, but it us expensive. Upol also do a paintable under seal too, that is a cheaper option. It’s the cheap black crap that worries ppl. Although I do prefer the wheel arches to be be black 😬

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

If you are keeping a good build log as most OMOC members do, showing what/how it has been repaired, and more importantly, what the under-seal etc is protecting, then it’s fine. The issue is we all know what the majority of bodge artists use under seal to hide crud. 
so as you say, there is a level of trust required when buying a car. But definitely better the devil you know 👍

I have photos of bit of welding,repair that l have done.is more for me than anything else 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah the cheap underseal stuff that eventually hardens and flakes off is no good. waxoyl,dintrol,supertrol etc are all useable . paint or colourable stuff is good to a point. i always prefer black underneath.

colour is great in theory but if you use the car all year round and in all weathers(as it was designed for) then it soon gets dirty anyway.

yes a car would look fantastic as a museum piece underneath with the metal as good as outer panels and arms,bolts etc perfect but thats all it would be,an unuseable museum piece.

ive had one of my cavs now since 1986 and it gets used (in rotation) every week. every season. its had repairs obviously but is well covered underneath and gets up on the ramps every spring to get it back to tip top !

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...