Clutch release bearing noisy

Brown Job

it could be that he didnt manage to get any on the part of the fingers that the release bearing touches ?   it certainly worked on mine and only required a tiny tiny amount on the end of a long thin strip and by pulling the release lever away from the clutch to get it in. 

the fact that the noise dissapears when you either lift or add pressure to the pedal would say to me that its definately this issue. 

the clutch cover spins with the engine and theoretically touches and spins the release bearing too ,but the release bearing can have some slight stiffness due to it being grease filled.this means it doesnt always spin the same speed as the clutch cover.hence lifting the pedal stops it spinning and adding pressure makes it catch up with the clutch cover. 

thats how i reckoned it to be anyway,

its a pity youre not nearby or i would have had a look at it for you !

Yep, it could be.  Trouble is, it's such a pig of a place to even get a sight of it.  Like a lot of jobs, what is required is a highly trained snake with 20 luminous fingers to crawl in there and do it for you.  Wouldn't be so bad if it was on the other side of the exhaust pipe...

Hadn't considered the grease filling of the bearing.  BUT - would there not be a tendency for the bearing to heat up over time (especially given proximity of downpipe), so reducing the viscosity of the grease and allowing it to spin more freely, hence reducing the noise?  As it is, there is no noise on startup or for a few hundred yards down the road, while everything is cold, and the noise starts once things have warmed up a little.

As I am a bit fitter now, I may have a crawl under for myself and try to see where the dab of grease is sitting.

BJ

3 hours ago, Brown Job said:

Hello and welcome back to this everyday story of country folk.

I finally managed to get someone to put an appropriate lump of grease on the clutch fingers for me.  Result - absolutely no difference to the bloomin' noise whatsoever.  And, thinking about it, since the whole lot is meant to spin together, what is the grease actually meant to lubricate?  It certainly lubricated a fine flow of language from my mate trying to reach into the hole and get the grease into the right place rather than where it would work its way onto the friction plate.

So I still have the noise.  It's not worrying me a lot right now as I can't afford the fuel to go anywhere.  Stationary, with the engine off, the clutch release bearing gives no trouble at all....Looking on the bright side, I may have a small lottery win and be able to buy a few gallons, so are there any more ideas for stopping the release bearing from singing?  Could put a cloth over its cage like we did with our canary, I suppose.

BJ

You could release the fork and let the bearing back from the pressure plate best you can, then rotate the engine through 360deg by hand, all the while watching the fingers on the pressure plate. What you are looking for is one (or more) out if line. They should all be the same distance out at the tips(where bearing sits) and the shape should be equal too over the length of each finger, if you get what I mean. 

Yep, totally get what you mean.  But I would need VERY long arms to rotate engine by hand while underneath watching fingers on clutch ... will save this one until I am round at my mate's so I can turn while he watches, or vice versa.  One of those jobs where you wish you had access to a 2 or 4-post lift.  Which we don't.

BJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brown Job said:

Yep, totally get what you mean.  But I would need VERY long arms to rotate engine by hand while underneath watching fingers on clutch ... will save this one until I am round at my mate's so I can turn while he watches, or vice versa.  One of those jobs where you wish you had access to a 2 or 4-post lift.  Which we don't.

BJ

Yes would be easier with two. And the luxory if a lift ( Apologise as this is something I overlooked).The alternative is marking every 30deg . I can Reiner the number of fingers to devide into a full rotation 🤔

Edited by Jessopia74