Twin headlight wiring

JeffShaw

If I remember correctly, there isn’t one. They were wired up by dealers before being sold on the forecourt. My first E plate GT exclusive 1.8 twins were scotch locked in. 

I’ve wired my current twins up on a separate relay. Fairly easy to do. 

• 1 month later...

If I add twins to the Cav I will fit relays, assume I will need one for each side?

How do I wire these in, can anyone explain please, and what rating relays would you use?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting to read that there were no official wiring diagrams for the twin headlights.

To compare and contrast, I used to have a Taifun aftermarket twin headlight conversion fitted to my hatch, which was different in the way the lights worked, compared to the oe Irmscher lights and I actually prefered the way the Taifuns operated. I also converted them to a full relay setup.

Irmscher lights - outer dip/main beam H4 bulbs and centre spots running H1 bulbs.

On dip - outers on only in dip mode

On main - outers switch to high beam and centre spots come on.

This is great for having loads of light shining up ahead but there's less in the foreground

In contrast, with the Taifun conversion, all four lamps were running H1 bulbs

On dip - outers on only (on dip obviously)

On main - outers stay on and centre spots come on with the result that you get plenty of light in the foreground as well as up ahead. The same system is used on my Saab 9000's

I don't know if anyone else has tried this but at some point, when the car has an engine etc 😁, I'm going to design a wiring set up with relays for the Irmscher lights on the coupe which copies what the Taifun lights did - basically the high beam on the H4 lights will be non functioning and the low beam filaments will stay on when the spots come on when switching to main beam.

On 08/07/2022 at 14:52, IanG said:

If I add twins to the Cav I will fit relays, assume I will need one for each side?

How do I wire these in, can anyone explain please, and what rating relays would you use?

Did you get this sorted Ian? I could probably advise on relays etc.

Edited by 2400man

6 minutes ago, 2400man said:

Interesting to read that there were no official wiring diagrams for the twin headlights.

To compare and contrast, I used to have a Taifun aftermarket twin headlight conversion fitted to my hatch, which was different in the way the lights worked on the oe Irmscher lights and I actually prefered the way the Taifuns operated. I also converted them to a full relay setup.

Irmscher lights - outer dip/main beam H4 bulbs and centre spots running H1 bulbs.

On dip - outers on only in dip mode

On main - outers switch to high beam and centre spots come on.

This is great for having loads of light shining up ahead but there's less in the foreground

In contrast, with the Taifun conversion, all four lamps were running H1 bulbs

On dip - outers on only (on dip obviously)

On main - outers stay on and centre spots come on with the result that you get plenty of light in the foreground as well as up ahead. The same system is used on my Saab 9000's

I don't know if anyone else has tried this but at some point, when the car has an engine etc 😁, I'm going to design a wiring set up with relays for the Irmscher lights on the coupe which copies what the Taifun lights did - basically the high beam on the H4 lights will be non functioning and the low beam filaments will stay on when the spots come on when switching to main beam.

Did you get this sorted Ian? I could probably advise on relays etc.

All sorted thanks managed to buy a wiring harness made up to take std H4 plugs and then splits into two loops both with relays built in each side into H4 connectors, all I will need to do is add a feed for the H1 spots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394081005516?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JoSkOPTTSgG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=1oAQMJSaQsq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 23:15, IanG said:

All sorted thanks managed to buy a wiring harness made up to take std H4 plugs and then splits into two loops both with relays built in each side into H4 connectors, all I will need to do is add a feed for the H1 spots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394081005516?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JoSkOPTTSgG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=1oAQMJSaQsq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Glad you got it sorted. H4 plus H1 is slightly easier to setup with relays than H1 plus H1 as I recall. 

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 23:15, IanG said:

Glad to see you put them on relays, definitely the best option.

• Like 1