E10 additives for old carburetted cars

Thomas77GR

Hi all,

can you recommend something or share the stuff that you use. My local garage stocks the Forte additive (which is for injected engines) so not sure if that's any good. I've used redex in the distant past but some will claim this is waste of money. Apologies if this thread has been raised before..(?)

• Like 1

I use classic valvemaster plus on mine, I won't let e10 near any of my cars though. I use the 99 RON fuel with the valvemaster, not cheap but I'm not risking that crap attacking everything rubber or corrodeable, I'm sure someone on here has a method to extract the crap from the modern fuels. 

• Like 1

It still not remove the ethanol, so try not to use it. This is what destroys the seals and fuel lines. As a fuel to run in the engine, no real worry apart from a slight tweak to ignition when we start to get to E25 etc. so long as your engine has an unleaded head, otherwise as you say redex.

Good use of money now is to be switching all fuel lines and o-rings etc on the fuel lines side to ethanol safe stuff. 

Think the best stuff to get is the Esso 99. As it’s ethanol free. 

found the article and it is Esso.

https://www.wheels-alive.co.uk/esso-launches-synergy-supreme-99-premium-petrol-and-its-ethanol-free-at-the-moment/

Edited by Jessopia74
Fixed link
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

😎 110RON stuff? Yeah that would be noticeable 

This is 105 but looks good.

https://www.classicfuelsolutions.co.uk/collections/all

10 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

It still not remove the ethanol, so try not to use it. This is what destroys the seals and fuel lines. As a fuel to run in the engine, no real worry apart from a slight tweak to ignition when we start to get to E25 etc. so long as your engine has an unleaded head, otherwise as you say redex.

Good use of money now is to be switching all fuel lines and o-rings etc on the fuel lines side to ethanol safe stuff. 

Think the best stuff to get is the Esso 99. As it’s ethanol free. 

found the article and it is Esso.

https://www.wheels-alive.co.uk/esso-launches-synergy-supreme-99-premium-petrol-and-its-ethanol-free-at-the-moment/

Yeah that's the stuff I use couldn't remember the name.

• Like 1

Yes I’ve heard esso high powered stuff is free from that crap. Start replacing your rubber fuel lines to better Coden stuff that is resistant to ethanol. I’ve just replaced about 17/18 fuel pipes on the Carlton with the better stuff (cost about 40 quid) but still running higher octane fuel anyway. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas77GR said:

I can only see the E5 in pumps up this part of the world. Do you adjust timing/dwell for the E5/E10+additive mix? thanks to all who provided answers so far! 

No, the point is to try and buy zero Ethanol really. Lower the E% the better. Problem with ethanol for us is;

1. It will perish older rubber items in our fuel circuits (seals, o-rings , pipes etc.) 
  2. its Hygroscopic, so if you had half a tank of E10 and left the car for a year, it would end up with water sat at the bottom of the tank and lots of moisture trapped in vented area too. So water is crap for our engines and the moisture is will rot the tank from inside out.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I try and stick to the E5 fuel for all the Mantas and the Monaro. I’m pretty lucky round here as it is easy enough to find E5 and I use Millers additive too. 

I’m also lucky because I can still get 102 octane fuel from my friendly local Gulf garage! This was previously Ethanol Free but I’m not sure if that is due to change in the future. It’s expensive but hey…..can’t take it with you!
https://gulfoil.co.uk/about-us/endurance/

• Like 3

It’s worth checking what’s actually being stocked in a ‘rural’ filling station.
You will see E0 at some places but remember that E5 means “up to 5% ethanol” so a pump can say E5 but is actually 95 octane unleaded you’re getting.  It keeps the activists at bay while folks with everything from lawnmowers to outboard motors swap out cork floats & rubber rings…

You are likely to find that it’s not worth the fuel distribution companies time to mess with Ethanol in tanks & tankers beyond major conurbations. 

If you’re out for a run on B roads & you see an owner/occupier station then stop & ask. I’ve found a few around Sussex who don’t stock ethanol laced petrol. 

As for lead replacement, some great answers already. 

Oh, back in the day it was possible to get Avgas (5 star leaded) from a friendly flying club but I haven’t been anywhere near such places in years. It’s probably obsessively regulated now though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Trooker said:

It’s worth checking what’s actually being stocked in a ‘rural’ filling station.

It’s always worth asking the manager what fuel they are buying in for resale, as many of the additives are mixed in the distribution tanker from what I’ve been told in the past.

I shouldn’t have been so cryptic with my comment. The friendly local Gulf filling station I’ve used in the past is located in Silverstone, not the pretty village over the dual cabbage way, but at the circuit.  Not many places that sell racing fuel anymore but it’s all road legal. Good knows what it’s selling for now as I havent been yet this year!

• Like 3