200hp with a welded rear differential? Manta A 1.2

Reny28

Hi, i have a Manta with 1.8 turbo nissan ca18det. 200hp and i want to weld the differential.

i think i have the 4.11 gear from manta 1.2liter, i want to put the 195/45/17 tyre. 

how should this differential behave with these specifications?  does it hold up to 200hp with those 195 tires?

or will it break in a few weeks?

I've been looking everywhere on the internet for two days, but unfortunately no one who has ever done it and documented it on the internet.

thanks all

As Jess wrote above, not gonna hold the torque. The Manta 1.2 has got the small rear axle, the 1.6S and up have the big rear axle. And even then the metal torque tube in front of the diff needs to be upgraded with a stronger axle:

7df45fbb84539699b7709a6fa65df92d2f4a42df

s-l1600.jpg

Opel had these problems with their rallycars (ascona/manta a) and to solve this problem they fitted the rear axle of a Commodore in

the later Ascona/Manta 400.

Google "Deichselrohr Opel" and you'll find more about this problem. 

Edited by H-400
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You’ve made some significant modifications to your car already @Reny28 so why don’t you swap the whole rear axle for a modern unit that you know will handle the torque. Much easier and cheaper to find parts for a later unit too and you’ll also have many more options when you start to consider brake and suspension upgrades.

Any photos of your car?

ford atlas axle,  or volvo axle.

Done before.:

SR20 nissan gearbox, Ford atlas axle.

M3 e46, 6 sp, welded axle, standard opel.

1.5jz, gearbox, jag IRS.

Looking recently, a Toyota gt86 has got an over engineered subframe!

Manta B axle is wider than A, some  manta A's had steel torque tube fitted.  Standard.

Great looking car, sleeper effect!

If you can source a spare axle why not try welding! Pick a welder who can weld weld to weld. So it's solid.

It will force stress on crown wheel, pinion or gearbox.

• Thanks 1

in September I will do some reinforcements, putting up an oversized pipe. And then i weld it.

I think it will work with that torque, 200 nm is nothing.  to think that at 200nm a 6 / 7mm life breaks but

10 hours ago, Reny28 said:

in September I will do some reinforcements, putting up an oversized pipe. And then i weld it.

I think it will work with that torque, 200 nm is nothing.  to think that at 200nm a 6 / 7mm life breaks but

Axle from 1,6/1.9 Manta A or Ascona A would be far better use of your time. The half-shafts are stronger too.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spent too much time and too much time thinking about the machine, I don't want to waste time anymore but using it I did all the jobs myself because I couldn't find them capable of doing them.  I will try to take this apart in September, and see if the reinforcement is feasible, then I balance it and we will see how long it will last.

• Like 1