2.2 OR 2.4 HEAD ? WHICH IS BEST ?

ANDY ABBOTT

On 06/07/2022 at 09:09, Moonmonkey said:

It’s a lot easier to do with the engine out, I’ve never done it with the engine in situ but i can’t see why it couldn’t be done. It’s just more awkward to set up and see the timing marks/protractor. The biggest issue is finding an accurate measure of TDC with the cylinder head on. You could work it out from the ignition timing marks, and some engines have a ball bearing and a pointer on the flywheel. You could strip off some ancillaries and take the radiator out to make it easier to work on.

I would be happy to come over and help you do it, I’m just getting over Covid but should be ok in a few days😊

I may just have to take you up on that 😆

On 07/07/2022 at 16:15, Jessopia74 said:

yeah, it’s hard to find a guide that would not introduce more confusion unless you have done the task before. But fair play for some having a go to help others out. 
The Cam Andy has should be on solid followers anyway (if not then that’s an issue in itse, but yeah it’s worth a point that they should be swapped 👍

We fitted brand new solid lifters along with the new kent op254 cam 

3 hours ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

I may just have to take you up on that 😆

We fitted brand new solid lifters along with the new kent op254 cam 

That’s good, expected you would but as it’s turned out to be a topic for general info on how to, it’s worth noting 👍

I will just reiterate the point about setting an accurate TDC. Do not rely on any markings currently on engine, make a pointer from a welding rod etc. when you fix the wheel to the crank / crank pulley, and use the DTI gauge down the spark plug, you can get an accurate reading on the CIH this way, but I do agree on some engines it’s not possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1