1979 vauxhall Cavalier mk1 auto

Michael mcinerney

Hi all

Got my solex DIDTA carburettor from Netherlands. 

Went back to start again set timing. Looking at other I.6 engine checked all the timing marks and way dizzy was the timing was advanced. It ran perfectly before I took it out.

Back  to the 1.6 auto.set timing marks .removed dizzy and removed fuel pump. Lined up dizzy to roughly where I wanted it to be that both marks on dizzy also were matching. I then had ignition on  using a led bulb with two wires. One on earth wire in dizzy and other on green dizzy wire rotating until light came on turning dizzy  anti clock wize which according to hynes manual advanced timing. Tighten the clamp.

Fitted the solex carb.checked carburettor over before fitting looks OK.very same as my old one..

Started car ran OK until I took my foot off pedal and died.started again keeping the revs up.sounded like it was misfiring. Ran pretty rough  and was drinking fuel.

I then removed rocker cover. Checked valves and set them to 0.30mm rockers very rattley  now but set them to what was specified. Started car again ran same as before very uneven sound .again could only get car to run at slightly higher rev. sounds bit spluttery and revsuneven while doing so..

I've been over everything three or four times checking and re checking and I'm dammed if I can get it run properly and tick over.

Any body got any advice  on how I might cure this problem 🤔 

theres either a serious issue or were  missing something here.

so

points are good and set at 20 thou.

condenser is good.

rotor arm and cap are good.

rotor arm turns against springs and then returns (centrifugal advance)

firing order is correct at 1342 in rotation of distributor.

timing set to factory marks.

plugs good and gapped at 30 thou.

plug leads good(can be checked for contnuity with a multimeter,depending on lead type,make expect readings in k ohms.

coil correct and good.

ensure all that lot is good if you can ,then thats the ignition side of things sorted/ checked.

then

make sure there are no air leaks to carb. this includes the brake servo suction hose.a common failure.

a few bits there to be going along with for now !

17 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

theres either a serious issue or were  missing something here.

so

points are good and set at 20 thou.

condenser is good.

rotor arm and cap are good.

rotor arm turns against springs and then returns (centrifugal advance)

firing order is correct at 1342 in rotation of distributor.

timing set to factory marks.

plugs good and gapped at 30 thou.

plug leads good(can be checked for contnuity with a multimeter,depending on lead type,make expect readings in k ohms.

coil correct and good.

ensure all that lot is good if you can ,then thats the ignition side of things sorted/ checked.

then

make sure there are no air leaks to carb. this includes the brake servo suction hose.a common failure.

a few bits there to be going along with for now !

Thanks cam.in.head 

It was indeed  the brake servo suction  pipe that goes to carburettor manifold old and well perished. The on pipe I never taught to check .

Car starting and ticking over now.

Checked all of above you mentioned. 

New leads and plugs.

New dizzy cap and rotary arm

Checked spring on dizzy it returns back fine when twisted clockwise. 

Fireing order 1342 on dizzy cap.

Coil is original and working perfectly spark would lift you off ground as I found out earlier 😀

Brought it for a drive..drove great threw the auto box gears.

Only thing when I select drive the car dies.i think the auto box could do with a oil change..Next job.

Thank for your help in this matter  cam.in.head  very much appreciated 

8 hours ago, TheRealExile said:

Daft question perhaps but how fresh is your fuel? Sorry if mentioned earlier in the thread, if you can get 99 RON I'd give it a try.

Hi

Fuel is fresh in tank.

Went around today to six petrol stations  none have any 99ron fuel

Only 95 unleaded fuel.there is one more station I haven't tried might have it will try on Monday morning on way to work.dont have any esso stations here any more.

Circle k

Applegreen

Top oil

And very few texeco stations

they were everywhere few years ago along with shell ️ 

But I'm sure as you say 99ron would be better to run in Cavalier 

yes thats another vac pipe to check. (and gearbox vac canister as jess says)you could add a length of hose to it at the manifold end and suck on the pipe down to the gearbox.if theres a problem you should be able to detect it. the vac canister just unscrews from the rear of the box .usual for the joining piece to split at the manifold join normally.if you find an issue thats another leak sorted.

cant see why it would stall when you select drive thou. an oil change wont go amiss but check idle mixture and speed. i suppose a cloggy oil would do it but then you would have issues with more surge in drive at idle .rather than just edging you forwards or holding you on a slight incline.

at least were getting there now.   sorry i didnt mention the servo hose before .might have saved doing the carb but its all part of the fun !

If you don’t mind me asking what is the cost, been on eBay found this one for £6.99

So of the prices range for £17 to £23 for the same stuff 

This is only a 100mm , so it depends how often you use the manta 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by 1200bandit

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Update on Cavalier. Had to remove engine head is gone.also oilseals on crank shaft front and back leaking. rear seal quie a bit.so engine had to come out any way.so replaced it with the other 1.6 I have from other Cavalier. Cleaned and replaced gaskets.just few bits to finish off.should have up and running shortly. Auto box a heavy bugger.got old engine and box out and other engine back in in 5hours thank to the help of my two sons. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 4

On 11/09/2022 at 11:19, 1200bandit said:

If you don’t mind me asking what is the cost, been on eBay found this one for £6.99

So of the prices range for £17 to £23 for the same stuff 

This is only a 100mm , so it depends how often you use the manta 

Sorry only just seen this, it's about 16 quid a bottle on Amazon. Seems to do the trick.

if you have a dizzy (andcoil,electronic trigger and mini loom) from a gte then it will physically fit and work. the supply needs to be a full 12v from ignition switch rather than resistive fed.

obviously the gte distributor will have a different advance curve to the 1.6 so may not run 100% but then any engine that was originally designed for 4star leaded will run a little different now with modern (crap) fuel so worth just trying it to see and playing with the timing if needs be.

that said.  changing the points every couple of years is not much hassle anyway but going electronic does make it maintenance free in thatdept.(checking wear and oiling apart !)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Michael mcinerney said:

What exactly do I have to change.do I need to change dizzy as I have a few from gte..coil as well

Can get option if type so it just replaces the where the points go in the distributor and a plastic 4 bladed part that pushes down over the lobe. Then it’s just wire as normal, no need to mess about changing the distributor type. 
take a look at this https://simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/

The issue is not really just the points/condenser as such, but as the lobes are a mechanical interference part on the metal disi lobes, bearing, mechanism, is they  wear over years. And if you don’t know how to set the points using a dwell angle, it will never be correct, it will work ofc, but you you can better spark with an optical system and they are not much money.

• Like 1

yes ive always thought the 4 speed box one of (if not the) nicest gearchanges around .sure beats the short throw notchy 5 speed !  many would dissagree however but thats how life goes. 

and again the 1.6 is perfectly capable power wise of blending in with modern traffic ,(driven normally why wouldnt it !)

only issues power wise i would question are the 1.3 and the 1.6 auto. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

yes ive always thought the 4 speed box one of (if not the) nicest gearchanges around .sure beats the short throw notchy 5 speed !  many would dissagree however but thats how life goes. 

and again the 1.6 is perfectly capable power wise of blending in with modern traffic ,(driven normally why wouldnt it !)

only issues power wise i would question are the 1.3 and the 1.6 auto. 

That auto box is a heavy beast, waiting for my car to come back with the refurb box fitted.

My memories of 70’s/80’s boxes is that they were slow and lethargic, was pleasantly surprised by the 2.0 auto combo but would prefer a manual for spirited driving.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, H-400 said:

I  purchased items last night from them also rubber grommets for floor pan and boot.great site highly recommended. Thanks for information H-400

On 23/10/2022 at 16:31, IanG said:

That auto box is a heavy beast, waiting for my car to come back with the refurb box fitted.

My memories of 70’s/80’s boxes is that they were slow and lethargic, was pleasantly surprised by the 2.0 auto combo but would prefer a manual for spirited driving.

It's heavy for sure.must check if there any place here to refurbish the 3peed Cavalier auto box.i have yet to bring mine for a long drive.had a few short spins seems to drive nice.

Never had an automatic Cavalier mk1 before.every thing nearly back together  few bits need doing looking forward to finally seeing how it drives with other engine 

• Like 1

Finally got Cavalier up and running. Put original solex carb on.but it ran as rough as he'll no matter what I did with it.tried second solex DIDTA carburettor pretty much same no leaks all pipes checked.so decided to put webber carburetor on and not a problem runs perfectly  smooth. 

I also have another webber carburetor thermostat choke .has anyone got this setup in there car any pics.i  take it that one of the heater box pipes either  thermostat  or one from water pump connect to thermostat choke.? I've not seen this set up before.as I need to use it on other Cavalier  as I put good webber carburetor on red automatic Cavalier. Two solex carburettor are for the bin as far as I'm concerned  or may dig a nice deep hole for them they wrecked my head.lol

• Like 1