Manta clutch

Ems

I removed the clutch from the Manta today and noticed the springs have been rubbing against the ARP bolts.

It's a C20XE with flat flywheel and Manta 1.8 gearbox. 

On one spring it's worn through a third of the wire's diameter, is it safe to re-fit or do I need a new clutch?

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thank you.

image.thumb.jpeg.21ea42efe942eeb786899b24df3f2815.jpeg

Edited by Ems

Hmmm that’s odd. 

My money is on one part is 100% wrong. Are the bolts sticking out too far? Is it the correct friction plate for this setup? Is the friction plate in the wrong way round? 

if those springs snap, and I’ve had them snap on my Landrover and seen them explode on tractor units, you will not be able to select gears properly. 

out of curiosity what is the friction and pressure plate out of? I think mine is calibra turbo but can’t remember. 

No help to you but I have this problem but on my CIH setup.
Still running with flattened/worn springs well over a year on since discovering the issue but had little choice but to put it back together. I have a new clutch ready and been looking for a 8.5” GTE flywheel to no avail. 

Thanks for the replies, I have no idea what clutch kit is fitted as I got it with the car. 

It's done between less than 10k miles since it was fitted.  There's still 7mm of friction material on the plate.

I changed the original flywheel bolts for ARP ones.

What individual parts do I need to replace the clutch?

Edited by Ems

Thank you for all your help.  I haven't got an original flywheel bolt and no history of the flywheel unfortunately.  The area where the friction plate touches the flywheel is not flush with the outer part - should it be?

flywheel.jpg

Edited by Ems

The flywheel has a recess that is correct. I had same problem using a calibra turbo clutch in my flat flywheel xe with the clutch hub rubbing on flywheel bolts. Took it out and had one made at c+g clutches Leeds to avoid this issue. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rutts said:

The flywheel has a recess that is correct. I had same problem using a calibra turbo clutch in my flat flywheel xe with the clutch hub rubbing on flywheel bolts. Took it out and had one made at c+g clutches Leeds to avoid this issue. 

That’s possibly the difference between the pot type and the flat type flywheel clutch (drive) plate. I have been trying to find thus info for ages as there is conflicting info about the difference. Some say none, others say there is.

F28 16v(none turbo) pressure plate should be correct type as it’s the engine that used same splines and flat type XE flywheel. But I wonder if sone manufacturers have standardised the part for the latter that actually does not 100% fit flat flywheel 🤔💁

Thanks for the updates, so I need a Calibra Turbo clutch plate and a Manta thrust bearing, what cover plate do I need?

2 hours ago, rutts said:

Do you have any part numbers for this clutch?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

16v flat flywheel cover.

I just had a 230mm plate made by c+g to fit a getrag 240. With a small 215mm Gte size hub with six load springs . £120 think the turbo plate is 228mm. 

Talk to mick he will sort you out great service every time I have used them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rutts said:

16v flat flywheel cover.

I just had a 230mm plate made by c+g to fit a getrag 240. With a small 215mm Gte size hub with six load springs . £120 think the turbo plate is 228mm. 

Talk to mick he will sort you out great service every time I have used them.

I've sent the flywheel, bolts and all the clutch components to him.  The cover plate must have been wrong as well as they said the fork had been hitting it.

• Like 3