Again with the GSI to the Pyrenees.

Hi everybody, well I'm back after three weeks in the south of France. My wife and me had a great time. The trip to our location was without any problems. Our Manta in front of the place we stayed:

Ntz2ubt.jpg

The second day we went to an oldtimermeeting organised at the ruines of a castle only some km's from our place. My wife found this on the website of a local Opel club:

gMu9qLV.jpg

Still asking why that ugly rather recent Peugeot is parked next to me? 

I was not the only Opel, a nice GT:

arCmS9X.jpg

As you all can see it was terrible hot and no place to hide for the sun. So there were always cars leaving but other ones arriving. We spoke with a friendly French guy that loved our GSI and was also a member of that local Opel club. 

Had also some work over there, the old Rocky jeep (Daihatsu) had warnings at the French MOT cause of the brakes at the front, so I had to remove the front hubs, repaired the front locking system at the hubs etc... 

Tb5EeTI.jpg

Using the back of the jeep as a workbench:

WD4fGaF.jpg

The brake pads were also completely worn, only 1 mm of lining left... Cause of that the pistons of the calipers were stuck with rust and debris:

ij99Xxg.jpg

Had luck I could repair them. Ofcourse we visited also some nice places, our car in the shade of trees:

pahRGbO.jpg

Cause of no airco I tried to park the Manta in the shade, but the rear quarter windows are still open so it gives some coolant.

R6yWfQS.jpg

A friend arrived with a Dodge Ram (New) and complained about the explosion somewhere in his car and not be able to run with gas anymore. (LPG injection) So his car runs only on petrol. Together we checked his gas lines and the main suply line was off the electricle security valve to the gas pressure reducer. We noticed the clamp wasn't even tightened. Am lucky I'v got that pair of pliers to fit that line again:

pl2oU86.jpg

Gonna call this picture "The beauty and the beast" 😄

While  we visited a French castle we found this nice Volkswagen T-bus:

NhHb53f.jpg

Ofcourse everything 's got to end, checking the car and fitting the luggage:

gdaeIXy.jpg

The way home was also without problems, but with some complications. 

Grts, Herman

• Like 8

It's great that you are still using it like this.

For me, taking the Manta on holiday makes the journey as special as the holiday itself, so we always go the longer more scenic route, instead of just jumping on the motorway and getting there as quickly as we can.

• Like 6

I always love seeing your pics and write up Herman, its seems you have a great time and always find something to fix while you are away!!

I have a friend who lives in the South of France and tells me i can come down anytime and i would love to take the Opel but i think these days with the price of petrol and the tunnel crossing it would cost me a small fortune, maybe one day!

• Like 2

Done some calculating and on the highway I pushed the GSI always at 130km/h chrono and the car used 8,5 liter/100km. Think this is a nice figure but if you want to drive on highways in France you'v got also to pay "Peage" (toll). 

54 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Done some calculating and on the highway I pushed the GSI always at 130km/h chrono and the car used 8,5 liter/100km. Think this is a nice figure but if you want to drive on highways in France you'v got also to pay "Peage" (toll). 

Yep, there are the toll's but those roads are so much better so sometimes worth it. Did Germany many years ago and only had to do the 1 toll road in France 🙂

Worked out mine is doing about 35 miles per gallon on a run and on average i was doing about 65 miles per hours due to the alternator issue!

What does yours calculate at in miles per gallon (as we still like to work in those figures 🙂

Andy

If my calculations are accurate it must be 28 miles/gallon at 81 miles/hour.

Miles & gallons is strange for me, but inches not cause I used to work a lot on US and UK made armoured carriers etc.

• Like 1

Quick maths is 60miles, 1.9gallon, so about 32mpg

1 minute ago, H-400 said:

If my calculations are accurate it must be 28 miles/gallon at 81 miles/hour.

Miles & gallons is strange for me, but inches not cause I used to work a lot on US and UK made armoured carriers etc.

Ah, and here is the thing. US and British Gallons are different measurement 😂

British = 4.54L

USA =  3.78L

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Quick maths is 60miles, 1.9gallon, so about 32mpg

Ah, and here is the thing. US and British Gallons are different measurement 😂

British = 4.54L

USA =  3.78L

Trust the Yanks to be different 🙂

• Haha 1