2.2 CIH thermostat housing top cover ORDERED

Sutty2006

While repairing the cooling system on the 2.2 Carlton the top cover for the top hose has gone brittle and broken. Anyone got one lying around? It’s different to manta, so hoping there’s one knocking around somewhere… 

11A3C337-DE38-4664-BF60-0BB0A606E5E1.jpeg

744F88C0-949E-4143-884C-8E790227D949.jpeg

I've just replaced one on a customers car for the same reason. After a bit of a hunt using the part numbers I found the lotus carlton ones are the same fit.

Randomly there is a seller on ebay that has a whole bunch on new old stock ones here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300285187696 its a perfect fit and bolts down fine.

Although they don't have a bleed screw in the top. So just be sure that the thermostat you fit has a bleed hole in it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

Thanks, yeah I spotted that but didn’t think it was the same, not having the bleed screw. I’ll bear it in mind, would you just drill a small hole in the thermostat to allow coolant through? 

Most new thermostats will bleed themselves either via a small hole or a slot in the piston.

• Like 1

• Sutty2006 changed the title to 2.2 CIH thermostat housing top cover ORDERED

The thermostat I got for it didn't have a bleed option in it (think it was an old one judging from the box). So I drilled a small hole in the flat part to prevent the possibility of an air lock.

I've done so many times in the past and it's always worked fine

• Like 3

I could f**king kick myself if my legs were long enough. 

new housing came yesterday. Got my engineering mate lined up to drill and tap it to m14 x 1.5. Great. I’m going to need a new thermostat too, pretty sure I’ve seen one somewhere. So I go routing through the box of spare parts…. Nothing. Through the glovebox and back seats…. Nothing. Look in an old bag in the boot and what jumps out at me? 

03B20C15-0C25-4F0A-B2FF-0F83B689F77C.thumb.jpeg.b360c665397410638f677d0d9168cef8.jpeg

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

52 quid lighter for ordering one of these off eBay!!!! 

@mantasrme if you need any more give me a shout first, I’ll sell you one a bit cheaper 🤯🤣🤣

• Haha 5

Great success. Mate of mine bought the proper tool (m14 x1.5 taper tap) to put a tapered thread in this and did it on his pillar drill.

if anyone needs that job doing in the future let me know and I’ll see how many beers he wants for doing it. 

2507671A-0775-47F4-BEE7-2B1DB365F4A8.jpeg

21 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Think Iwould gave tapped it BSP taper still so it’s genuinely self sealing, might be better with a flat head & fibre washer with a parallel thread m14?

Dunno but it’s worked and it doesn’t leak so I’m happy . 😎

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Very interesting post guys.

So I'm guessing the Frontera C24NE top cover that I have is the same part number as the Lotus Carlton variant, as this also has the bleed hole blanked off. Will have to check next time I'm at the man cave.

I was wondering if it would be advisable to swap it for the 2.2 variant or drill and tap it. Might be asking you to check with your mate about the beers Steve! 😁

On a related topic, does anyone know what top hose I would need to install to connect between this top cover and a standard GTE rad? The original hose is slightly too short.

Cheers D

3 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

You might get away with a Carlton top hose if you can find one, the inlet is in the similar location. 

Yes thanks Steve...... I have wondered about that.

BTW I have a Haynes manual for the Carlton 1978 - 1986, if you ever need any info copying, assuming you don't have one already of course 😊

13 hours ago, 2400man said:

Yes thanks Steve...... I have wondered about that.

BTW I have a Haynes manual for the Carlton 1978 - 1986, if you ever need any info copying, assuming you don't have one already of course 😊

I’ve got two Carlton Haynes manuals now after I found my original after someone sent me one lol. Thanks anyway. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’ve got two Carlton Haynes manuals now after I found my original after someone sent me one lol. Thanks anyway. 

No worries 👍. Always handy to have a duplicate. 

I also have an Autodata manual for the Manta. Dunno how hard to come by they are but happy to scan stuff for people. Better than the Haynes for certain things - diagrams clearer than photos in Haynes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

You could give these guys a try https://www.vauxhallgreenparts.co.uk/Carlton.html , might be one in the list anyway if your willing to pull it all and sort in excell etc

Thanks Jess, been checking out their site, though realised that I'm already watching one or two of their items on ebay 😉

Still trying to figure out how to pull all the data and import into Excel - the data isn't in a table format as such 🤔 .......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2400man said:

Thanks Jess, been checking out their site, though realised that I'm already watching one or two of their items on ebay 😉

Still trying to figure out how to pull all the data and import into Excel - the data isn't in a table format as such 🤔 .......

If I get chance tomorrow will pull it as back in the office for a day.

• Like 1