Sump gasket

mcintbg

6 minutes ago, 611 said:

Original was cork 2 piece but the rubber one is sooooo much better. i run the rubber on one the sump and the rocker and had no leaks since fitting them 🙂

Looks so much simpler than the 4 part one, £35 mind not a cheap bit of kit.

£35 + £19 postage !

2 hours ago, mcintbg said:

Looks so much simpler than the 4 part one, £35 mind not a cheap bit of kit.

£35 + £19 postage !

Ley me have a look and see where i got mine from as im sure it wasn't that expensive :-)

5 hours ago, mcintbg said:

Yes please, what did you use with the gasket ?

Nothing. I just fitted them correctly and didn’t over tighten the bolts. Sometimes over tightening them can squeeze the gasket too thin and cause it to leak. I’ll hunt it out and get picture for you 

What I do when fitting cork gaskets is use silicone to stick the gasket to the sump first, line it up with the bolt holes. Leave it over night to set, then you know gasket will not move when you fit it up the the engine, with more silicone... 

• Like 1

Just use wellseal on any gasket you use best stuff on the market. Never had an leaks using this stuff for over twenty years, even head gaskets get some. Does what it says. I use a paint brush to apply. 

Edited by rutts
Additional info

On 18/08/2022 at 14:41, H-400 said:

About the sump gasket set, in Belgium we can order all the most important gakets for the CIH at our local car-parts shop. Is that not possible in the UK? 

Not a chance. 

we have two “old school” auto shops in Stoke. One is on reduced hours and is hardly open. The other hasn’t stocked old Vauxhall/Opel stuff for years. Ok, I got a thermostat from one the other day, but it was a generic stat with gaskets which were for something else. But tell them you want an ABS sensor or a headlight for a 1993 Carlton and they run a mile. 

halfords are pretty useless. But euro car parts did surprise me a few weeks ago. I got 2x oil filters and 2x fuel filters for 2.2 CIH Carlton for £20. Bosch items too, Bargain! 

• Like 4

On 18/08/2022 at 19:23, ®evo03 said:

In my area almost all old school parts shops are gone....but we have helfords? 

Same story pretty much everywhere now. Even the little small independent shops don’t actually stock much, they just get it for you later today/tomorrow from the usual large factors anyway

• Like 1