Sill Repair Panel

GTEPETE

Thanks Herman....as a comparison, due to a lack of new panels, I had to remove a rear quarter panel from a 2004 3 Door Ford Focus MK1 to replace my damaged panel. 

Once removed (long job!) the underpanels were like new, just some surface rust at the lower sill lip,,,Although older, if only Manta were better protected fron new....my front A panels under the wing were not even primed, underseal directly onto steel, luckily car was only three years old when I found this out, so could treat it myself....my dealer told me this was not covered by the 5 year body warranty as there were no holes showing!

Yes the later B2 Manta's were not so well protected against rust as the B1's. And from '84 they used recycled metal...My '87 GSI needed a lot of new panels, the bottom of the A-pillar was vanished as all the well known rust places of a Manta.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H-400 said:

Yes the later B2 Manta's were not so well protected against rust as the B1's. And from '84 they used recycled metal...My '87 GSI needed a lot of new panels, the bottom of the A-pillar was vanished as all the well known rust places of a Manta.

WoW didn’t know that!

butbthere is a pic somewhere of sheet steel rolls in storage OUTSIDE open to elements, so they are all rusted before they pressed the panels 🤦‍♂️

Seen a modern car recently with paint falling of it. In fact most paint had disappeared on trim panel 

Or for mantas, wonder if late 70s cars where pampered more, bought as a luxury. Polished weekly, serviced regularly etc. Where as in 1988 they where bought by a different customer, and different use. 

Look at modern cars now, seen a 18 month old car recently 160k miles. Used for work duties! 

As for rusty manta, that's what we are for🤗

On 18/08/2022 at 20:18, ®evo03 said:

Seen a modern car recently with paint falling of it. In fact most paint had disappeared on trim panel 

Or for mantas, wonder if late 70s cars where pampered more, bought as a luxury. Polished weekly, serviced regularly etc. Where as in 1988 they where bought by a different customer, and different use. 

Look at modern cars now, seen a 18 month old car recently 160k miles. Used for work duties! 

As for rusty manta, that's what we are for🤗

There was an issue with my first X3M that was delivered with peeling paint, dealer called me as they spotted it at checking. Wanted to repaint it before it was delivered. But as I said what is going to be like in future if it’s peeling now? So rejected it and they ordered another in. Luckily it was only 5months wait 🤦‍♂️.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 21:28, ®evo03 said:

Was gonna mention BMW new with orange peal effect, not sure about the high end stuff, but it affects the basic models. What's going on! 

Yeah, I hear about paint peeing from plastic trim on even the higher end models, especially the lower parts of the bumpers/air dam etc.

On 23/08/2022 at 21:28, ®evo03 said:

Was gonna mention BMW new with orange peal effect, not sure about the high end stuff, but it affects the basic models. What's going on! 

Was in the Toyota showroom with the Mrs waiting on her service, 40k cars with orange peel all over the place, shoddy for the price, if a bodyshop returned my car like that I'd reject it how they think it is acceptable on a 40k motor I do not know.

• Confused 1