Attention important post !!!!

lewis p

So for anyone who doesn't  know early this year I was voted  in as chairman of the club. The club has been going many years (39) and obviously  in that time car clubs  have changed ...

So as part of trying  to make a difference I'm just after some feedback .
Who is not a full member of the omoc ?
If not could you say why and what would help encourage  you to join ?

If you are a member any feedback to what we could  do better or different please let us know.

Many thanks.

• Like 3

I've seen a similar post on bookface but prefer to answer here. I think the club is good value and I don't mind spending the £25 membership.  The free year last year was a bonus too. Getting a magazine is great. Website is a bit clunky but works fine and has so much information and old threads I always have something to read. The members are excellent and I always get useful answers to all my questions which is worth the subscription alone. 

Improvements? 

A register or members by location would be nice. There must be members in the North East or am I not looking hard enough?

Spare parts. I've read loads or posts that say, 'clutches are getting hard to fine' or 'windscreens can be bought new, but you have to buy ten' etc etc. Is this not something the club could help with? Smoothing out parts supply for the rare items by either buying them up when they are available or buying in bulk and selling them on. 

Suggestions, not complaining.

Well done to everyone who keeps the club going.

K.

• Like 6

I am a web member,because l didn’t have a manta and was looking for one 

First joined the club in 1996 , 

joined again in about 2010 life got in the way 

Rejoined again in 2019 

Got last year free ,do have some trouble renewal of membership 

Will go for a full membership on Christmas Day this year 

It is interesting to have a look at what members are doing 

The club is the best way of getting information and where to get parts all so if a manta comes up for sale it gets posted on quick,

When l see someone on Facebook looking for a manta tell them to look on here 

968CB521-05E7-4EC4-846E-292AABA8602B.jpeg

Edited by 1200bandit
  • Like 4

The club is great and i had been a member for a number of years even when there was no hope of the Opel being on the road as it was handy to see what others are up to.

Its great for help and i hope i might have helped a few out along the way as well as getting help myself.

These types of forums are all based on the same software so none will be prefect and i have never had any issues with uploading images, renewing when renewal came up but the main reason for not renewing this time was that the valuation side of things was frankly pretty pathetic for a main club. I ended doing it all myself and probably ended up with a slightly lower valuation and as the car is finished and the valuation side was rubbish i decided not to renew.

I may again in the future, i will have to see.

Features that the club should have is a proper parts list for all models that can be added to by members (maybe moderated by an admin) places where you can find hard to get parts (like windscreens etc..) and probably a list of recommended places to get parts from (and maybe some people might pay to be promoted? it would help the club and them) i have my own blog for my build and have pages that i have setup myself from some part numbers and useful places for parts.

Im always on the site seeing what people are up to so i have not exactly left the club! just found the valuation and lack of any info on reps in my area a real letdown.

I hope this helps.

Andy

• Like 4

On 22/08/2022 at 17:50, 611 said:

The club is great and i had been a member for a number of years even when there was no hope of the Opel being on the road as it was handy to see what others are up to.

Its great for help and i hope i might have helped a few out along the way as well as getting help myself.

These types of forums are all based on the same software so none will be prefect and i have never had any issues with uploading images, renewing when renewal came up but the main reason for not renewing this time was that the valuation side of things was frankly pretty pathetic for a main club. I ended doing it all myself and probably ended up with a slightly lower valuation and as the car is finished and the valuation side was rubbish i decided not to renew.

I may again in the future, i will have to see.

Features that the club should have is a proper parts list for all models that can be added to by members (maybe moderated by an admin) places where you can find hard to get parts (like windscreens etc..) and probably a list of recommended places to get parts from (and maybe some people might pay to be promoted? it would help the club and them) i have my own blog for my build and have pages that i have setup myself from some part numbers and useful places for parts.

Im always on the site seeing what people are up to so i have not exactly left the club! just found the valuation and lack of any info on reps in my area a real letdown.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Andy! Come on board, you are a techy guy and we need all the help we can get. One of the main issues the club has faced in recent years is lack of help. It’s all voluntary and very few we’re running it. There are now more on board and we are keen to keep the club alive and improve things for existing members and potential new and returning ones.

you are A man so maybe an A series parts and register role…….

• Like 4

On 23/08/2022 at 21:26, Paul Barrett said:

Andy! Come on board, you are a techy guy and we need all the help we can get. One of the main issues the club has faced in recent years is lack of help. It’s all voluntary and very few we’re running it. There are now more on board and we are keen to keep the club alive and improve things for existing members and potential new and returning ones.

you are A man so maybe an A series parts and register role…….

Hey Paul

It might be an option, maybe we should have a chat about it?

Im trying to work less and spend more time getting out an about in the car and on the bike as Covid has made me realise that there is more to life than just working!! Now im charging more and working less!!

I could probably spare some time each month to do some stuff for the club with A series stuff. 

Andy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 611 said:

Hey Paul

Im trying to work less and spend more time getting out an about in the car and on the bike as Covid has made me realise that there is more to life than just working!! Now im charging more and working less!!

I could probably spare some time each month to do some stuff for the club with A series stuff. 

Andy

That’s great andy, 

Ill get Lewis to get in touch see what we can get going

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 18:37, 611 said:

Hey Paul

Andy

Hi Andy sorry only just picked this up.

Help and assistance is always welcomed mate.

If you have time and would like to get involved thatbwould be amazing thank you.

Im into many different Vauxhall/Opel models so joining members club for every model isnt justifiable, I do visit here frequently but not being a member limits my input, In the wanted section a guy wants and exhaust front pipe for a Manta A so I was going to pop the GM part numbers up for him but I cant even do that

7 hours ago, green diamond said:

Im into many different Vauxhall/Opel models so joining members club for every model isnt justifiable, I do visit here frequently but not being a member limits my input, In the wanted section a guy wants and exhaust front pipe for a Manta A so I was going to pop the GM part numbers up for him but I cant even do that

Let me know the part number if its for an A and i will add it here:

https://www.theopelproject.com/part-numbers/

Andy

• Like 1

On 11/09/2022 at 09:19, lewis p said:

Hi Andy sorry only just picked this up.

Help and assistance is always welcomed mate.

If you have time and would like to get involved thatbwould be amazing thank you.

Hey Lewis

I have a bit of spare time so let me know what i can do to help. Web stuff would be quite easy for me if you want to setup any sort of part numbers list. I happy to do it initially on my blog if you want and then we could move it over to the Opel site if that's easier to manage to start off with?

Just let me know what works for you and what i can help with.

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

You also get a great deal of information and encouragement from people in the club can save you a lot of money,

l have just paid out over £65.00 for a pressure switch by doing trial and error ( many errors) 

when it has cost £23.00 with the right information. Which l have posted and hopefully will help someone else 

• Like 1

On parts lists, can you not purchase the electronic parts list on CD from the club? I was sure I bought one from here but it might have been the Cavalier and Chevette club 

If not it's a good place to start, along with the various service manuals (Haynes, Euroservice and the euroservice bible one).

The club is well worth the £25 for the information and the chance to meet other people who have similar classics. 

I have just renewed for a second year, last year I gained access or information and links to various parts required for my B1. Some of the information was also priceless.

Keep it up, Can't attend most meets as I live in the West of Scotland. Hopefully this will change in the summer ☀️

Kenny.

• Like 5

I didn't renew my membership when I was arguing with some aggressive keyboard warriors on the club's Facebook page, and rather than remove the trolls, the moderators removed my comments and not theirs. I noticed the club's Facebook page is now members only, but that's no encouragement to re-join, as I'm more pissed off about their siding with illiterate morons over a club member.

On 18/01/2023 at 20:34, Angdown said:

I rejoined and was a bit shocked that all I got was a membership card...........not quite what I expected.

I think the Manta Magic sticker, tax disc holder and such are like that "brand new customers only" old Nationwide advert! 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

I didn't renew my membership when I was arguing with some aggressive keyboard warriors on the club's Facebook page, and rather than remove the trolls, the moderators removed my comments and not theirs. I noticed the club's Facebook page is now members only, but that's no encouragement to re-join, as I'm more pissed off about their siding with illiterate morons over a club member.

I think the Manta Magic sticker, tax disc holder and such are like that "brand new customers only" old Nationwide advert! 😁

I don’t remember that one, so it wasn’t me 😁.

that’s the issue with the fan page. It was set up by club members who wanted to communicate through Facebook. And the even bigger issue is Facebook is full of keyboard warriors and arseholes that think their wrong opinion is gospel. This is one reason I don’t go on it anymore. I just hover around here, annoying you guys through different means 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

They wouldn’t say it to your face. 

• Like 1

personally im not a fully paid up member.rather a online forum only so my opinion may be invalid anyway but here goes........

there are a few car clubs around of which im in 2 of them .they both have a similar idea.

an online one like im here on now and a facebook version too. i cannot understand why any club would want to be split in two like this.you get some people posting questions and answers in one place and some in the other. so most members end up being in 'half a club' .       to go on facebook (which i never have and never will !) you have to be on the internet anyway so why have two part clubs ?    maybee im missing a point here but i cant see it !

I'm a fully paid up member, and happy with the OMOC as value for money at £25 compared to the other car clubs I'm in (everything else is more than twice the price). The most useful thing some of the other clubs offer, is club discount on OEM Parts, which I appreciate is a little difficult for a Manta. I think the work on replacement/repair panels is good, and  I think Suttys offer with Edelscheide group buy (while not well supported) was a good idea and something maybe we all should continue. One thing which could be useful (and I noticed Paul Barratt mention this) is facilitating group buy/manufacture of more consumable parts like radiator hoses which are getting more difficult to get hold. 

Regional meets or a drive out in the summer would be good, but i guess there is nothing stopping any of us organising those (they may be happening, and I'm just not aware)

Also think the deal with CVI is really good, with my valuation easily agreed with a few pictures.  Certainly one happy customer here🙂.

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

an online one like im here on now and a facebook version too. i cannot understand why any club would want to be split in two like this.you get some people posting questions and answers in one place and some in the other. so most members end up being in 'half a club' .       to go on facebook (which i never have and never will !) you have to be on the internet anyway so why have two part clubs ?    maybee im missing a point here but i cant see it !

I agree re Facebook, but I understand its a difficult conundrum. I to have never used and also probably never will use facebook. I'm just one of those people who does not get it, but appreciate many people do, and its how younger generations work.  That said I do feel you miss out on stuff by only being on the internet site. It would be great if there was a way of linking the content. How and is it even possible is far too technical for my pay grade, but we do link twitter (something else I never have and never will use!)

• Like 3