Attention important post !!!!

lewis p

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

personally im not a fully paid up member.rather a online forum only so my opinion may be invalid anyway but here goes........

there are a few car clubs around of which im in 2 of them .they both have a similar idea.

an online one like im here on now and a facebook version too. i cannot understand why any club would want to be split in two like this.you get some people posting questions and answers in one place and some in the other. so most members end up being in 'half a club' .       to go on facebook (which i never have and never will !) you have to be on the internet anyway so why have two part clubs ?    maybee im missing a point here but i cant see it !

Choice, why have only half the number of people in the club. 

Forums are for diehards.... Like us, 

Facebook is for scrollers, see it plenty when bike commuting, it's like a weird finger dance 🤣

Alot of forums have died a death, and sometimes it's impossible to get more than a photo, spec list if your lucky, so we are doing something right 🤠

Came across a bike builders forum recently, with basically a how to section, unreal and so greatful forums like this, and THIS! still exist. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 29/01/2023 at 18:00, Rick-Manta said:

I didn't renew my membership when I was arguing with some aggressive keyboard warriors on the club's Facebook page, and rather than remove the trolls, the moderators removed my comments and not theirs. I noticed the club's Facebook page is now members only, but that's no encouragement to re-join, as I'm more pissed off about their siding with illiterate morons over a club member.

I think the Manta Magic sticker, tax disc holder and such are like that "brand new customers only" old Nationwide advert! 😁

I wrote the comment originally and yes was shocked at just receiving a membership card only for joining the club, no magazines, updates or details of the OMOC owners club facebook page.  Luckily I didn't read the comments but yes definitely feel the manta world is changing as the car values go up. So sad really as shouldn't we be working together for the love of the manta and help each other? So I literally have been slated for writing a comment like that.  As manta owners we are more than happy to help anyone out. We are friendly people and love the cars. I have asked to join the facebook page as a paid up member of the OMOC. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Angdown said:

I wrote the comment originally and yes was shocked at just receiving a membership card only for joining the club, no magazines, updates or details of the OMOC owners club facebook page.  Luckily I didn't read the comments but yes definitely feel the manta world is changing as the car values go up. So sad really as shouldn't we be working together for the love of the manta and help each other? So I literally have been slated for writing a comment like that.  As manta owners we are more than happy to help anyone out. We are friendly people and love the cars. I have asked to join the facebook page as a paid up member of the OMOC. 

There are two Facebook pages. A “fan page” for anyone ran by club members with over 4000 people (most are who just like the car) and a membership only page for those that are paid up members. 

it’s hard to slate the club for not offering anything with membership. Believe it or not, you do get something. Liability insurance at events and shows. Insurance discount with CVI. We will be getting the magazine back. Plus other small bits and bobs. I saved waaaaay more than £25 renewing my insurance with the club discount, what more do you want?

the AGM disappointed me this year. 16 hard core old school members turned up out of nearly 350 members. No new members there. Would love to see some new faces and new ideas for the club but everyone seams to just think it just comes out of fresh air. The club is built on its members and by its members. If its members have no input, then you get nothing. 

I’d love to hear what other clubs give their members and what members actually want out of the club when they renew. new stuff is coming, but you’d have to be at the AGM to discuss and put opinions and ideas across.

• Confused 1

I've never known anything like this. We have had mantas for many, many years and always have met lovely and kind owners, we still know some. I am not the only one to say this about the membership. How do you know what discounts when literally nothing comes with the card?  You seem to be quite harsh in how you are dealing with me right now rather than trying to move forward and get members.  Surely a list of benefits with the club, magazine or newsletter, how to join the facebook page. Most clubs contact members, friendly meet ups and chats. What's the point of posting a card without stating the benefits? You know I love the manta and hope that the club moves forward and increases in size. I have asked to join the facebook club, I was a member?

• Like 1

Just to be clear saying a member is slating a club for just pointing out that all I got was a card was a bit harsh.  This club should listen and say oh yes maybe we could include details of up to date benefits of club membership.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

the AGM disappointed me this year. 16 hard core old school members turned up out of nearly 350 members. No new members there. Would love to see some new faces and new ideas for the club but everyone seams to just think it just comes out of fresh air. The club is built on its members and by its members. If its members have no input, then you get nothing. 

I think I joined the AGM by zoom, and to be honest (accepting the technical challenges) it seemed more like a clique of old time members happily discussing ancient history rather than current.  Having said that, I understand the committee are all volunteers and often with busy day jobs.  

As a club, I’m not sure this really is the Opel Manta Owners club - it seems to be more about Coupes and building rally car replicas.  I read about the club benefits before I joined - so I wasn’t expecting much but the twice yearly magazine seems three years since last issue (or that’s the one I got).  I’m a very light hobbyist owner so generally my car is maintained by a classic garage, so a lot of the technical benefit passes me by.  The club shop seems to be an afterthought.   With product way out of date (why would I want a Billing 2013 t shirt?) and two month delivery times on “in stock” items.  But again I recognise the club is supported and serviced by volunteers.  I own a few classics (and have had many more in the past) so I try and join the owners clubs and buy from them where I can, a t shirt, a body warmer, a baseball hat etc.. to help the coffers along and show others I’m a member, really what ever takes my fancy but we don’t have any.  I even got an Opel Manta Owners Club hat made up.

You’ve got my £25, what do I get?  Aside from this forum and the opportunity to vent - I seem to get nothing or access to nothing.  Maybe the club is below critical mass of members to survive? But I don’t thinks so, there’s a lot of passionate Manta people on here, the clubs finances whilst not great are well managed and growing (ish).  The spare parts remanufacture is a great initiative, but it benefits few, consumes a lot of time and club money (risk).  

So thanks Barry, always whingeing but not offering anything.  Well apart from my membership commitment, and unless I get thrown out (for owning a hatch with a factory sunroof) next year’s commitments too.  So once, I press “Submit” I’m going to see what I can do about setting up a regular OMOC  pub meet.  🤓 

it’s a great car, but it’s a 50 year old design - by any interpretation it’s a classic car so even your Grandparents Fiesta probably has more power and better road manners.  

• Like 4

The advice is worth a lot more than 25 quid alone, people helping each other out with parts and sometimes free of charge, Julian for instance gave me a clock as mine was missing. I haven't got to a meet simply as I don't have a car to bring still but I certainly plan to. Going to have a look at that red hatch Tuesday if it is still about, no it isn't perfect but it fits my limited budget (until the other Project is done and sold)

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

The advice is worth a lot more than 25 quid alone, people helping each other out with parts and sometimes free of charge, Julian for instance gave me a clock as mine was missing. I haven't got to a meet simply as I don't have a car to bring still but I certainly plan to. Going to have a look at that red hatch Tuesday if it is still about, no it isn't perfect but it fits my limited budget (until the other Project is done and sold)

I’ve for sure had advice as a member that has saved me a lot of time and money over the last year. I have quite a few spares I don’t need, any chance of a buy and sell type of web page?

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, IanG said:

I’ve for sure had advice as a member that has saved me a lot of time and money over the last year. I have quite a few spares I don’t need, any chance of a buy and sell type of web page?

Agree Ian it would be great if the classified forum posts could be a proper classified buy and sell section. I'm not sure what website capability is required but could you have listings that stay live until the seller completes the sale. I don't think it has to be as sophisticated as Ebay, more like Autotrader. Could the shop functionality be used for something like this, then you could have access to the club merchandise, remanufactured panels etc all in the same place?

Could this be a benefit for members who could list for free and chargeable for non members encouraging membership or creating a revenue stream?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Moonmonkey said:

Agree Ian it would be great if the classified forum posts could be a proper classified buy and sell section. I'm not sure what website capability is required but could you have listings that stay live until the seller completes the sale. I don't think it has to be as sophisticated as Ebay, more like Autotrader. Could the shop functionality be used for something like this, then you could have access to the club merchandise, remanufactured panels etc all in the same place?

Could this be a benefit for members who could list for free and chargeable for non members encouraging membership or creating a revenue stream?

OST forums, if not websites have plug in for such things. Having a quick look they does seem to offer onehttps://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8311-classifieds-system/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Angdown said:

Just to be clear saying a member is slating a club for just pointing out that all I got was a card was a bit harsh.  This club should listen and say oh yes maybe we could include details of up to date benefits of club membership.  

it’s not harsh at all. Not in the slightest. I appreciate things aren’t handed out on a card when you join, it isnt right. But we have @lewis p as a new chairman who is so far doing a great job behind the scenes sorting things out and coming up with new ideas. Ideas that people should put into context on a new topic maybe in the general section? I’m happy to start one up so the powers that be can look into it. 

8 hours ago, BarryD89 said:

I think I joined the AGM by zoom, and to be honest (accepting the technical challenges) it seemed more like a clique of old time members happily discussing ancient history rather than current.  Having said that, I understand the committee are all volunteers and often with busy day jobs.  

So thanks Barry, always whingeing but not offering anything.  Well apart from my membership commitment, and unless I get thrown out (for owning a hatch with a factory sunroof) next year’s commitments too.  So once, I press “Submit” I’m going to see what I can do about setting up a regular OMOC  pub meet. 

there’s no click in the club. I turned up into the meeting thinking “yay here’s my second family” because that’s what £25 a year has bought me. Like said above, I have turned up to visit a club member and come home with free parts for a needed project. One was a 4 speed box which I rebuilt and is now in my B that Mr Collier gave me. Hell, I’ve been pissed as a fart with most of these folks, we’ve had such a good time at shows and meets! It was great to see folks tuning into the AGM on zoom. It’s a shame the hotel didn’t provide us with good enough internet until half way through the meeting! 

And Barry, stop moaning about having a hatchback. I’ve got a Carmine red hatchback too, they’re much better and more practical than a coupe ANY DAY of the week 🤣 , keep at it. I just accept that we while coupes are more desirable, they’re also more expensive and thus, hatches are a bargain. And I’m a tight git with a tight budget. Lol. Be good to hear if you can organise a monthly meet in your area! I used to arrange staffs meets but when only me and one other went, it got pointless. The same with organising local shows. I get very little interest. Which is a shame, because some of them are really good and very cheap to display at (or even free!). Another perk to club membership! 

• Haha 1

As I understand the shop has nothing to do with OMOC, as a member of the OMOC. 

It sells remade panels under the OMOC SHOP therefore no liability to OMOC members. 

Private adverts can be left open, and are always open, but should be closed if asked to by a moderator. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

As I understand the shop has nothing to do with OMOC, as a member of the OMOC. 

It sells remade panels under the OMOC SHOP therefore no liability to OMOC members. 

Private adverts can be left open, and are always open, but should be closed if asked to by a moderator. 

Yes, once a part has been sold we can lock it, saves folk replying to it 10 years later asking if it’s still available 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Angdown said:

Some of the trolls said that I wasn't fit to sleep with pigs. Luckily the club had my back and told them I most definitely am! :D

I haven't re-joined as yet, but most likely will when my hatch is near completion. So at least I can put across some of my ideas to be ignored! :lol: But on a serious note, a few other clubs I'm in (MG Owner's Club, Mitsubishi GTO Drivers' Club, The Leather Bondage Boys Motorcycle Club, etc) do send quite a lot of stuff, like stickers, keyrings, even birthday and Christmas cards, and I like the membership cards are nice plastic ones like a credit card, but they're £35-£50 a year membership and some have a "joining fee."

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Rick-Manta said:

Some of the trolls said that I wasn't fit to sleep with pigs. Luckily the club had my back and told them I most definitely am! :D

I haven't re-joined as yet, but most likely will when my hatch is near completion. So at least I can put across some of my ideas to be ignored! :lol: But on a serious note, a few other clubs I'm in (MG Owner's Club, Mitsubishi GTO Drivers' Club, The Leather Bondage Boys Motorcycle Club, etc) do send quite a lot of stuff, like stickers, keyrings, even birthday and Christmas cards, and I like the membership cards are nice plastic ones like a credit card, but they're £35-£50 a year membership and some have a "joining fee."

Tell me more about this “interesting” motorcycle club. 🤔🤣

one thing was discussed at the AGM. Membership cards. Someone pointed out that the card is pretty pointless (used to use it when proving proof of membership when getting discount on Vauxhall trade parts but they axed that years ago) and the cost of the cards could potentially go towards something else. I suggested replacing the card with a printed certificate of membership on headed paper, to reduce cost and still have proof of membership. Again, all good ideas that will change over the next 12 months as new ideas are set in place. Stickers and key rings would probably get a bit repetitive when you’ve been in the club for over 10 years and ran out of room on your bumpers for more stickers lol 

Someone said about the amount of help and info from club members, that's club members, and I agree, its great, but it is not a benefit or perk of paying membership fees. 

Info is and will always be...........free. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 19:31, Jessopia74 said:

OST forums, if not websites have plug in for such things. Having a quick look they does seem to offer onehttps://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8311-classifieds-system/

Certainly worth looking into that….thanks for the link. I’ll mention it to our webmaster and see what’s involved. We actually need to move the forum onto a new server in the near future, and we are currently looking at hosting it in the cloud. This will enable some good upgrades and we could look at this classifieds feature. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

Certainly worth looking into that….thanks for the link. I’ll mention it to our webmaster and see what’s involved. We actually need to move the forum onto a new server in the near future, and we are currently looking at hosting it in the cloud. This will enable some good upgrades and we could look at this classifieds feature. 

If you are looking to move I can recommend https://krystal.uk

Used them many years and they offset my carbon footprint with a tree planting program (not a fake one). Very professional outfit, but not a corporate so service support is superb. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 30/04/2023 at 10:05, Sutty2006 said:

members like me would have to drive 250 miles 5 hours total to be in person for the AGM ..... the ZOOM thing didn't work either until right at the end when I missed all the previous discussions ...... this is why I proposed last year to have the AGM at the July meeting at the VBOA (only for it to be voted out by the die hard core members) because it's the only time we'll have the most members attending in person ...... makes sense to me .... it would only take up 1 hour of the day for the AGM 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gtwist said:

members like me would have to drive 250 miles 5 hours total to be in person for the AGM ..... the ZOOM thing didn't work either until right at the end when I missed all the previous discussions ...... this is why I proposed last year to have the AGM at the July meeting at the VBOA (only for it to be voted out by the die hard core members) because it's the only time we'll have the most members attending in person ...... makes sense to me .... it would only take up 1 hour of the day for the AGM 

Pretty much same problem I have tbh. And had issues with the online joining. I think they fixed it later on, but I did hang about for a while without access so thought it broken.

• Like 3

On 04/05/2023 at 14:44, gtwist said:

Didn’t know you suggested that but it’s a good idea. The only problem I can see is there’s a lot of organisation going on for the show, and a lot goes into the AGM. Maybe they don’t want to burn themselves out doing two jobs in one weekend? It’s a good idea, but there’s always going to be a downside. Then the committee won’t want to spend all weekend doing official stuff when they’re there to enjoy themselves. 

I have suggested an omoc only show, later in the year….when all members can meet up and bring cars, camping stuff and beers….. a more relaxed social gathering spread between 4 locations (north south east and west….) could put the AGM in with that.