New member saying hi

Gordy

Hi all, just bought a Cavalier sport hatch 1600 GLS (I know it’s no Manta). 
I haven’t seen the car with my own eyes yet as I’m at work in Abu Dhabi just now. 
Bought the car on a bit of a whim. My late father had a 2000 GLS sport hatch in sapphire blue when I was a kid. When I seen it, it reminded me so much of my dad and how I thought it was the coolest car ever when I was a kid :) . First car I’d ever seen with pillarless windows back then!

Anyway, some of you may have already seen the car that was listed on Car Cave’s Facebook page. 
By the description and pictures it’s going to need a fair bit of work. 
I’ve not totally figured out what I want to do with the car yet. 
Not sure whether to restore it, keeping it stock or go down the route of a somewhat resto mod. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1acsg1e4qn1fyqv/Photo 17-08-2022%2C 09 17 35.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kr7ni318bnf2440/Photo 17-08-2022%2C 09 17 30.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pp0s1tjhpjw3wud/Photo 17-08-2022%2C 09 17 19.jpg?dl=0

• Like 6

Bar a couple of bits of trim it looks complete and original and I would suggest keeping it that way. If it’s a complete rust bucket, and there are plenty of those around (I know - I’ve got one) go crazy and build something special 🤪

I look forward to seeing some more photos when you get your hands on her and will follow your project with interest whichever route you take. Good Luck!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Welcome indeed. 👍

Hiws you finding working out there? Been offered a position on the Neom project in Saudi, but it’s long stints away from home so not sure about it. 

Hi mate, I don’t particularly enjoy it here. Maybe look for a change next year. I’m offshore and the only westerner here so you can feel a bit isolated at times. Plus sat in an office by myself most of the day doesn’t help. 

7 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Looks like a good base for a nice little project there. The earlier cars were made from much firmer steel, but don’t be afraid to go poking around! Welcome! 

That’s good to know, I know it’s needing quite a bit of work though. 
I believe it’s needing front chassis legs and sills. Will need rear arches and possibly front wings. Will know better when I get a look over it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, the folks on here don't have a problem with the Cavs, well they are the same car just different badge, helped me out loads over the years.

Here's my old gal, looking good thanks to the help of local Manta guys, especially, Rutts, Carl & Danny (RIP).

20220717_114619.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, plumster said:

Welcome, the folks on here don't have a problem with the Cavs, well they are the same car just different badge, helped me out loads over the years.

Here's my old gal, looking good thanks to the help of local Manta guys, especially, Rutts, Carl & Danny (RIP).

20220717_114619.jpg

Here’s another built in Ghent 1976

B97600C3-5408-42D8-BAE9-855B489DDA5B.jpeg

• Like 2