A-series suspension options

moodoo

5 hours ago, rutts said:

Top new metal bush replaces the middle pic rubber bush to fit arms in bottom picture. Removes roll bar completely.  I run 600lbs springs on front with koni adjustable set in middle setting. 

aseriesrollbarbush_zps8c0f9718.jpg

bushing 1.jpg

asconaarebuil002.jpg

Hmm, interesting. That must make it so much easier to get a nice big exhaust on with no roll bar at the back as that was always the issue with with the A.

Is it a kit you can buy?

Andy

Would have been much easier to get my 2 1/2" system in without the roll bar in the way 🙂

but getting back to suspension Fin. Koni sport adjustables with Koni sport springs, except i had the front made to the same rating as the koni but shorter to drop the front a bit.

Thanks guys . That’s an interesting looking front suspension mod…any more info?

Andy, so you have Koni springs on the rear, and custom made ones on the front? Sorry for the stupid question, but did you have to buy a set of koni front springs, for someone then to match the custom rate to?

Where did you buy your dampers?

45 minutes ago, moodoo said:

Thanks guys . That’s an interesting looking front suspension mod…any more info?

Andy, so you have Koni springs on the rear, and custom made ones on the front? Sorry for the stupid question, but did you have to buy a set of koni front springs, for someone then to match the custom rate to?

Where did you buy your dampers?

Hey Fin

That setup is quite interesting. I wonder what it handles like compared to standard??

I already had the front springs but they made it sit too high, so i worked out the hight of the spring so it would sit just right (i cant remember exactly how i calculated it as it was years ago!!) then sent the spring off to Coil Spring ( i think) and they made the new spring the right height and rate for it to all work and they are spot on.

There are a few places selling the shocks again as Koni started to make them again.

These are the numbers for the A

KONI 82-1739SPORT Shock Absorber Front
Koni Shock Absorber Manta A/Kadett C-Rear (82-1740SPORT), Yellow KONI

Mine are set to the lowest setting for the road as the roads are so crap these days! But did wind them up years ago for a track outing! I had Koni's before the rebuild and just replaced then for new when i did the build. I think you can get rebuild kits for them. I have the old rear ones sat in the loft and you can have them for the cost of delivery if you can get a rebuild kit for them. Think the fronts went with some of the stuff i was selling off a while back.

Andy

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/koni/7279254

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. For road driving, do you think will I ever notice the difference between say, Gaz, Koni, KYB etc? I can see that something adjustable will be better than non-adjustable, I don't want to end up with something that rattles my teeth out every time I drive it. Is there any way to tell how the settings on one companies dampers compare to anothers though? For example Andy, you say you've the Konis on the softest setting, but if I buy Spax/Gaz whatever, might all their settings be harder than the softest setting on a Koni?  

Hey Fin

The Yellow adjustable Koni's are quite hard. I know i also have uprated springs but its quite a harsh ride.

I thought the red Koni's were suppose to be softer but im not sure if they are adjustable.

I was looking for a stiffer ride as the old A did you to roll a fair but on the standard stup! You just have to pick your route based on the smoothest roads 🙂 which is getting harder as in the UK they just bodge the roads as they think everyone now drives big willowy 4x4's 🙂

I have never used anything else so im not sure. A friend ran Bilstein's and i thought they were a bit softer but i dont know what spring setup he had.

Andy

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

All depends on springs rates too. 
I run the GAZ so I had the option to soften them up 

Think my springs are quite hard and i could probably go softer and get a better ride on our roads but then it does corner nice like it is 🙂

ive had people ride in mine and say how smooth and comfy it is .probably expecting an old car to be all creaky and uncomfortable.(cav / std spec in every way).

then ive driven my mates mx5 with rock hard suspension that drives like a brick but goes round corners like a gokart.

its all down to what you personally prefer.i know what i like best !

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 07:21, Paul Barrett said:

It’s a tough isn’t it andy, nothing worse than a wallowy car imo

Paul, if i drove it every day i would probably go softer but when its just used on sunny days for having a bit of fun or for the odd trip out then i can live with the harder ride.