Bulkhead insulation help

Metalbasher

Second of two questions this evening. Having dug the original bulkhead insulation out of storage, to get ready to refit, the various pieces aren’t in the best of condition but I think are salvageable. Has anyone refurbished these items and if so with what? Any idea what type of rubber it is, so that I can select the best glue type?

47C1D4F3-CBE9-487C-94B8-69DBEE933DDD.jpeg

B25781B8-1918-47F4-877A-E8BBC841BFAA.jpeg

• Like 1

Warm it up and it become much more pliable, it needs softening too before you go trying to reshape it back to its desired form.

I use the sun to warm it or a hairdryer, to soften the rubber i use standard beige waxoyl, it seems to feed it and if you wipe the excess off with a cloth it brings the colour up to almost as new.

Been using waxoyl on my rubbers on my coupe for 20+ years and its not rotted them. in fact, they are all still in good nick.

Contact adhesive sprayed onto the rear of the rubber when you put it on the car in position is the best thing to keep it in place, its pretty much what Opel used.

• Like 1

Used tiger seal on mine, it's black. Once dried it can be cut shaped and painted over, rubberised black as mentioned above.

Small cracks can be deemed out a filled.

Granville Tigerseal, it will dry hard but is slightly Flexi, used in bodyshops for panels, bodykits or add ons. 

• Thanks 1

We have spoken on the committee about potential remake of the bulkhead rubbers recently. 
we will taking a trip to a 3D printing company soon that specialize in car pet reporoduction to have other smaller items looked at but they also do rubber extrusions too so may be able to advise or help with this