Manta GTE 1984 Silver Hatch

Glyn H

Posting here for true interest, tried eBay and no one was serious! Have to part with it to make way for a learner car

The car is very tidy and clean inside and out with:

Four new tyres

New decals

New headlining professionally installed

Reupholstered front seats

Reupholstered front headrests

New fuel tank and sender

New brake discs and pads

New battery

5 speed manual gearbox

Sunroof

All dashboard gauges and lights working

Slight wear on gearstick gaitor

Original radio/cassette player

27k miles.

The last MOT was on 20/07/2022, passed straight away with no warnings or advisories

I bought this car in 2019 and had one of the foremost classic car restorers in the UK working on it to return it to full glory.  It had been off the road for close to 25 years.  Since then it's been garaged, covered and very well looked after, starts first time and runs great.

Only a few things not working which are easily fixed; the rear wiper doesn't work and the cassette player doesn't play cassettes but the radio is working.  There isn't an aerial on the vehicle so whilst the radio works you can only hear static (I haven't tested it with an aerial)

Looking for serious interest only for £11k asking price.  DM me if you want any specific pictures or have any questions

20220923_140531.jpg

20220923_140557.jpg

20220923_140544.jpg

20220923_140659.jpg

20220923_140649.jpg

20220923_140639.jpg

20220923_140823.jpg

20220923_140544.jpg

Edited by Glyn H
Updated with price
  • Like 2

Nice example, had many messers over the years on Fleabay, my kid bid, idiots turning up with a so called mechanic telling me the car had a certain fault when said part was brand new 🙄 he had even pulled a wire and then claimed the towing electrics didn't work 🤣 good luck with the sale, I'm promised my Project will be finally painted in the next two to three weeks then it will be up for sale and eventually I will be on the hunt for another Manta .

Edited by TheRealExile

• 3 weeks later...

Interested. Is the mileage backed up with old MOTs or service history, or is it likely to be 127k miles? Thanks.

Who restored it? The rear wiper is parked in the wrong position--it's supposed to be up--so they may have just reassembled it incorrectly.

Nice Manta, like the job done on the seats. Did the seats need repaired. 

Is it Matt finish, or Suede finish? 

Great price for a very low mileage car, would be harder to find a year old car now with less mileage.

Why not get a EPS steering fitted, and Learner ready! Then they get to sell it in ten years for profit, opposed to .......u know.

Best of luck with sale. They do make a great useable car, especially with the back seats down, that lay flat. 

Manta van 🤨

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

Interested. Is the mileage backed up with old MOTs or service history, or is it likely to be 127k miles? Thanks.

Who restored it? The rear wiper is parked in the wrong position--it's supposed to be up--so they may have just reassembled it incorrectly.

Rear wiper isn't working, needs a new motor so likely to be in the wrong position. Mileage has been recorded since I took it for the mot when I got it, it was off the road for a good 25 years before that so not 127k.  Happy to send any pics if you DM me

6 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Nice Manta, like the job done on the seats. Did the seats need repaired. 

Is it Matt finish, or Suede finish? 

Great price for a very low mileage car, would be harder to find a year old car now with less mileage.

Why not get a EPS steering fitted, and Learner ready! Then they get to sell it in ten years for profit, opposed to .......u know.

Best of luck with sale. They do make a great useable car, especially with the back seats down, that lay flat. 

Manta van 🤨

Learner would never drive again after trying without power steering!  Seats are matt finish, they needed reupholstering and bolsters redoing

• Like 1

Thanks, Glyn. Is there no paperwork or service history at all from before it was stored for 25 years? I appreciate it's a probability, but from a buyers' perspective, between 1984 and 1997 and given the need to reupholster the seat bolsters, it's still very possible to have done over 100k. As far as low mileage classics go--at least as low as 27k in 38 years--some degree of history is desirable.

I'd love to see a few extra pics though. If you've got any close ups of the pedals, steering wheel and gear stick would be handy please. I'll message you with my email if easier.

Was there any welding done during the resto or for the previous MOTs? Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 24/10/2022 at 00:31, Rick-Manta said:

Thanks, Glyn. Is there no paperwork or service history at all from before it was stored for 25 years? I appreciate it's a probability, but from a buyers' perspective, between 1984 and 1997 and given the need to reupholster the seat bolsters, it's still very possible to have done over 100k. As far as low mileage classics go--at least as low as 27k in 38 years--some degree of history is desirable.

I'd love to see a few extra pics though. If you've got any close ups of the pedals, steering wheel and gear stick would be handy please. I'll message you with my email if easier.

Was there any welding done during the resto or for the previous MOTs? Thanks again.

The issue with the assumption that high miles = means interior wear is definitely wrong, and vice versa.  At some point you can only go off the evidence in front of you. If you really want a full an complete history then it’s likely to be 1cowner. Back when these cars 3as parked up the values was low, the historic paperwork’s value even less value. The value is the car survived, it’s history ties face just far enough to be relevant enough the car was still valueless as such to ‘clock’ So a level of pragmatism needs to be applied here. 
if I turn up tomorrow with a car that. I claim us 15K from new a]but she’ll us FUBAR, but some one was to re-shell the car, where does that put the opinion on the real history etc.  Think we need to take it on face value unless otherwise disproved 

15 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

The issue with the assumption that high miles = means interior wear is definitely wrong, and vice versa.  At some point you can only go off the evidence in front of you. If you really want a full an complete history then it’s likely to be 1cowner. Back when these cars 3as parked up the values was low, the historic paperwork’s value even less value. The value is the car survived, it’s history ties face just far enough to be relevant enough the car was still valueless as such to ‘clock’ So a level of pragmatism needs to be applied here. 
if I turn up tomorrow with a car that. I claim us 15K from new a]but she’ll us FUBAR, but some one was to re-shell the car, where does that put the opinion on the real history etc.  Think we need to take it on face value unless otherwise disproved 

That's not a good premise unless you want to overpay (since the super-low mileage is adding the most value to it, over than it simply being a "survivor") for a car that's advertised as low mileage on the assumption that it is, over actual evidence, as it not only becomes a gamble, but then you now have the same problem in future of convincing someone it's that mileage on your say-so. The onus of proof that something is so, is on the one who claims/asserts it--otherwise, if you can forgive the cliche: I have a bridge to sell you.

I think your keyboard is a little broken, so apologies if I haven't quite understood what you were explaining. In this car's case, I didn't want to make an argument with the seller, so just left it. Several things suggested to me that it wasn't 27k, such as having half worn through pedal rubbers, indicative of a Manta that's done over 100k, thus been around the clock, rather than "clocked." That was never my suggestion. It was more likely that the Manta served someone well and covered average mileage from 1984 before being put away in 1997 when it was near valueless as you say, to be later restored as it is now. My interest in the car, or rather being willing to spend anywhere near the £10k-£11k for a hatch, was on the low miles specifically. I completely understand someone not caring so much about that and just wanting to own a newly-restored Manta with no rust or much work needed, and that's what the new owner has. I too ended up with a completely mint silver hatch (that covered 90k miles) that along with this car, has a considerable amount of its value in the fact that's it's rot/rust free.

18 hours ago, Chris Bennett said:

Is this car now sold

It ended up on eBay and I'm pretty sure the listing showed as sold.

Edited by Rick-Manta