Heater blower replacement

Sutty2006

For a mk2 Carlton. 

yes I know it’s not a manta, but I’m up shit creek without a paddle. The blower motor is kaput in my Carlton and it’s a dash out job to replace. I can’t find ANY replacements apart from a 250€ brand new one from Germany. Can anyone recommend an easy round motor that can fit in this gap? And that I can wire up fairly easily to use the variable speed switch? 

C5006EB0-CACE-4B03-9873-FFFC56783C47.jpeg

0BE50541-591C-461B-BCC7-ACCF404CAB7B.jpeg

• Confused 1

Is it just the brushes that are gone? The rest is pretty rudimentary bits to replace (resistor, even bushes) stator usually can be saved too.

Otherwise there might be sone way to make up a solution. My son used to fly model helicopter/planes and although they have gone brushless there was some larger DC brushed can motors that might be adaptable. 
Is shaft 8mm or 1/4” (6mm)? 

hi. the usual failure mode on the carltons is the slider switch that controls it but if it is definately the motor then no doubt it will be either the bearings  that have stiffened or the resistors.

i fitted a new one to mine a few years back and although its a dash out job theoretically if i remember correctly it doesnt have to be fully removed just pulled forward enough to get the housing assembly out

i may still have a spare motor. will check at weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

hi. the usual failure mode on the carltons is the slider switch that controls it but if it is definately the motor then no doubt it will be either the bearings  that have stiffened or the resistors.

i fitted a new one to mine a few years back and although its a dash out job theoretically if i remember correctly it doesnt have to be fully removed just pulled forward enough to get the housing assembly out

i may still have a spare motor. will check at weekend.

Yeah I took my dash out, so I could see what I was doing. 

7E122236-9978-426D-9F66-90761A8CAA0C.thumb.jpeg.6eb95c58aa6872a47be93221c2cb64d5.jpeg

I’ve pulled the variable switch apart and cleaned the copper contacts up, and I’ve got a spare which I’ve done the same to and it’s exactly the same on both. 

I wonder if this would fit. From a curryola. It’s the wiring that would confuse me. As it looks like it’s only got 2 wires. 

E4C1D844-6CA1-4C0F-BD34-02A651A2CE6A.thumb.png.262c368cef95da733dcadf2911a2fcfd.png

not sure. it depends if you could mount it and if it rotates the same way. (brushes MAY be slanted ?)impeller looks to scoop oposite direction ?

to add speeds you would just need to mount extra resistor or two. 

from what i remember the carlton one has 4 wires. one is an earth the rest are speeds via resistor. 3 terminal type i think. or was it 2 separate.