Fits a Manta too?

I think there's at least 3 different lens profiles and two different reflector types (metal and plastic). So, it may not match what you already have. I've no idea what the differentiation was. The part number for this one looks to be 904120838. I have another that starts with a 301xxxxxx.

Hella and lucas are different glass patterns and also different methods of holding the bulb in. Pressed metal cup with spring on it for hella and a thin wire clip for Lucas. Plus there were none genuine ones made by various companies back in the day to add to the confusion.

On 03/11/2022 at 15:15, mantasrme said:

Hella and lucas are different glass patterns and also different methods of holding the bulb in. Pressed metal cup with spring on it for hella and a thin wire clip for Lucas. Plus there were none genuine ones made by various companies back in the day to add to the confusion.

Its a long time ago but I also think the very early lights (or maybe the ones for base model Cavaliers) were for normal tungsten bulbs not halogen. I think they had shroud around half of the bulb. The halogen ones have a ring around the bulb. The ones in the picture are for H4 halogens.

4 hours ago, mepbowles said:

I'm always surprised at the price some headlights go for, especially when it's unclear which type it is, and that there must be a few hoardes around the country.

I have a set of Hella and a set of Lucas but I’m not a hoarder 🤗.  I have Manta B’s and a Mk1 Cavalier so need the spares in case of a front end shunt.

All my spares are boxed and labelled and when I’m gone they will be offered for sale to club members first.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Yeah, I bought this one years ago brand new. I am still looking for a right side to match. If anyone sees one let me know! Or does that one in original post look the same? I’m struggling to tell. 

4FBCEABB-7E34-49F0-AD1E-6F5697F4E44F.jpeg

94A6B920-0000-4AD7-9F41-95EB2CE43FAF.jpeg

Useful pic thanks,I have now worked put how to spot a RHD beam pattern on the lens ( my car is still in the shop).

Several guys on eBay claiming their euro lamps are RHD when they aren’t.

the one in the ebay listing is a match yes (hella  h4)  but its gone now (and for silly money ! )

most cars after around 78 ish had the hella h4 units but some later cars and mantas had the lucas design with the plastic reflectors.in my experience they seemed brighter but only when very new and soon seemed to loose the edge. hella h4 best in my opinion.

so you need a hella h4 drivers side unit ?   will keep an eye out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

the one in the ebay listing is a match yes (hella  h4)  but its gone now (and for silly money ! )

most cars after around 78 ish had the hella h4 units but some later cars and mantas had the lucas design with the plastic reflectors.in my experience they seemed brighter but only when very new and soon seemed to loose the edge. hella h4 best in my opinion.

so you need a hella h4 drivers side unit ?   will keep an eye out. 

Yes I’m after a match for the left side I’ve got. I think my ocd won’t let me fit one new and one second hand. It’ll kill me lol

sorry but dont want to be the bearer of doom. but the reflectors will not polish up. they have a very very thin chrome coating that rubs off very easily. i know ive tried once ! so be very very carefull or you will end up down to the metal.if its anything like the carlton lights its usually the lower bit that fades first ! 

i also know what you mean about fitting one new thou ! it will stand out badly.  another new one will pop up on ebay eventually.they always do. i got 4 for my cavs and carlton this way.and prices vary enormously.i think i paid about £20 for one and no more than £40 for any of the others but were talking a few years back now.