Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YEHOOOOO!

She's Alive[:D][:D]

Got this thing started this afternoon for the fitst time in near 2 years[8D]. Have a couple of teething problems tho, the exhaust is knocking, that and its too close to the ground. I may or may not have a water leak at the top of the rad and there sounds like a washer has ended up in the bell housing[:I]. wondered where it went. I had the starter off for a long time while I was working at the engine.

It doesnt sound like I imagined and TBH the 2.5" exhaust seems quite tame and no louder than std. One good thing is that it started quite easily. Only took about 15 mins of tinkering, I'd forgo to connect the cranl sensor to start, then the fuel pipes were the wrong way round and finally the injection loom wasnt seated properly on top of the injectors. Its giving really good oil pressure and seems to run quite smoothly. Here's a vid and I hope it works some kinda way[:D]

th_MOV00340.jpg

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 3 weeks later...

Just getting back tot his project after a couple of weeks mucking about with our daily drivers. Both myself and the wife changed out daily cars, the wifes had no MOT and mine needed a few jobs. Back on track now tho.

Got the car mobile now but I am a bit concerned over the engine (may be unjustified[:D]) Theres a bit of a tick from it and I'm hoping its not a broken ring[:(], its a bit smokey too but I'm hoping that will go out of it too, I let it come up to temp this time, the last time it was only for a few secs. the new paint ont he manifold did a bit of smoking[:D].

It gives a great feeling to have the car mobile under her own steam again and the sunshine on her back. Really happy with the wheels (although one has a slow puncture, its new tyre on refurbed rim[:(!])

heres a pic as she sits now:

100_1624.jpg

Close up of the wheels:

100_1625.jpg

'improvised' seat[:D]:

100_1627.jpg

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Fuel injecton systems make a just audiable ticking noise when working,might be this your hearing,as for the smoking might just be because the engine needs a bit of running to clear itself out.

This Manta is looking good,dark/black centered wheels always work well on a red car,better than Silver.hope you can bring it to Billing so as we can all see it 'in the flesh'.

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

2 problems with bringing it to Billing:

1: I am now skint plus the wife wants a new kitchen, Billing will cost me over £500 before I buy anything[:0][V]

2: The exhaust scrapes reversing out of the garage so theres no fecking chance of getting it up the ramp on the HSS[:D].

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, I think its time for a bit of an update, the completion of the is car is now within sight, I have now got the bonnet sprayed, the front valance is back on as is the bumper, the headlight surrounds are also sprayed and the new lamps are fitted.

I wasnt over happy with the way the car was sitting, it qas quite high at the front, too low to the back and seemed lower at one rear corner so an e-mail was sent to tjm and a set of new avo 30mm lowering springs were purchased. Also, the spax adjustables I got off Rab at billing last year were calling to me so they got fitted as well (the car had new shocks anyway). Sits better now IMO )

Atlantean sorted me out with a new battery today so I can now close the bonnet with the battery fitted, makes it easier driving in and out the garage I must say (cheers Peter).

heres some pics of it now:

Sitting better:

100_1692.jpg

Looks like a car again from the front:

100_1691.jpg

back of the car together now too:

100_1695.jpg

Clives Quarter blanks making it look better:

100_1693.jpg

New lamps hmmmmm....

100_1694.jpg

front end got painted with waxoyl on the flat bits and pumped with dinitrol in the cavities (above headlights and crossmember), under all arches also painted with waxoyl just to make sure, I have some arch liners for the front too just to make it extra protected .

After having a very close inspection of your Manta today Mark I have to hand it to you mate - it is a beaut :thumbup

It has come a long way since I last saw the car. Your focus and direction has been spot on IMO. I can't wait, as I'm sure you can't either to see it out on the road in all it's glory.

• 1 month later...

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

This yoke is now MOT'd icon_biggrin.gif , It's been 2 and a half years coming but shes road legal. Northern Ireland doesnt do advisories, but if it did it would have gone something like this 'see if you can find your rear number plate on the way home and re-attach it!'

Couldnt believe it, when I got out of the car the guy says 'just one question, had you a number plate on the back when you left home? oooooooo.gif ' Last time I trust those wee sticky pads you get with new number plates mad.gif . didnt fail me on it, TBH if he had of failed me on just that I'd have lost it icon_confused.gif . You could still see the pads attached to the back of the car.

Anyways gonna try to tax it tomorrow and get a new number plate then gonna try and break it joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

What will I do with myself now? hmmm.gif

Got the car taxed this morning and took it a wee run, drives well, the seh seems to have a bit more torque than the 20e, does liven up after 4000rpm too , ended up with a bl00dy nose and coming home with no T shirt., its Ok tho the manta didnt get any of it

Heres a couple of pictures:

000_0159.jpg

000_0162.jpg

000_0163.jpg

000_0164.jpg

000_0161.jpg

000_0166.jpg