Ebay: 35K mile 84A GTE Hatch for sale

6 hours ago, BarryD89 said:

Makes my recent win look positively expensive… 

Nah, both proven low milers and I'm sure this'll go for close to yours. This seems to need a lot of welding too, and he doesn't have an Irmscher leather wheel! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That’s a decent set of photos the seller has uploaded now, they show what needs to be done quite well. It certainly isn't going to be heading off to the MOT centre anytime soon. Be a good project car though as parts of it look quite good. Engine bay looks like someone took care of it back in the day and the interior certainly looks like the 35k mileage is genuine. 

• Like 1

Pretty good if you think what a proven 35k GTE is objectively worth, even if you had to pay to have a lot of that welding done by a small restoration business, you'd still be quids in unless there's anything even nastier hidden to make it terminal. Do you reckon this is the result of driving on salt/grit roads then putting the car away wet? Also, I wonder why the headlamp is actually missing, instead of supplied broken or rusted out?

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rick-Manta said:

Pretty good if you think what a proven 35k GTE is objectively worth, even if you had to pay to have a lot of that welding done by a small restoration business, you'd still be quids in unless there's anything even nastier hidden to make it terminal. Do you reckon this is the result of driving on salt/grit roads then putting the car away wet? Also, I wonder why the headlamp is actually missing, instead of supplied broken or rusted out?

Completely agree on price.

I have seen issues with cars parked on gravel and sheeted with none breathing tarpaulins. Weeds grow under the car and the Tarpaulin traps moisture. So owner thought they was doing the right thing, but woukd have survived better been left uncovered.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Getting to be the hub for mantas, Mathewson's 👍

Great useful tool for evaluate what they are making, paying, selling for and buyers willing to pay. 

I would imagine viewing is essential on this one, don't know it, resurfaced? First time seeing it.

Overall would make a great classic car, CIH unbreakable, hatch, van. It can be anything.....😜

• Like 1

If it were just a matter of sorting the bodywork and a re-spray.....

Will probably need a new/refurbished fuel tank as well.

On the plus side, if it's been laid up for the last 30 years, it is an 8-year old Manta! 🙂 The interior looks as good as new!

One previous owner.
First registered November 1984.
Last VED expired November 30th 1992.
Used car bill of sale.
Part service history in original service booklet.
Hand books and instruction manuals plus some invoices in the original wallet.
Previous MOT's back up the low mileage.
Car is complete less the headlight wiper arms (the blades are in the boot).
Haynes manual included.
Interior is excellent in my opinion.
2 keys (one key fits all but fuel cap lock is stuck).
I'm informed it runs and drives like a 35,000 mile car, but I (the seller) have not driven it.
It is a restoration project but as far as I can tell its not been touched in any major way, so it's a "clean slate" vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the eBay purchaser was flipping it from the outset--nothing wrong with buying a car to simply present it better for an onward sale--or bought it with the intention of restoring, took a good look underneath and thought "Naaaah!"

There seems to be a bit more interest nowadays from smaller workshops that will buy up Mantas just like this one and polish a bit of value into them before a quick flip. Nothing wrong with that, as it keeps the cars out there but it does push prices up a bit - some might say that is not a bad thing either. It doesn’t help those folks that are looking for a project car though, as there is a bit more competition on the auctions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irmscher Man said:

There seems to be a bit more interest nowadays from smaller workshops that will buy up Mantas just like this one and polish a bit of value into them before a quick flip. Nothing wrong with that, as it keeps the cars out there but it does push prices up a bit - some might say that is not a bad thing either. It doesn’t help those folks that are looking for a project car though, as there is a bit more competition on the auctions.

And yet people still buy Fords mate ! 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Irmscher Man said:

There seems to be a bit more interest nowadays from smaller workshops that will buy up Mantas just like this one and polish a bit of value into them before a quick flip.

That describes how mine arrived with me:

“Friendly” neighbour sons - new tyres, minor recommission to MOT, nothing done drivetrain wise or scabby looking paint. £4,500 (appears to have forgotten to tell the original owners wife her sold it, she thought he was still doing it up)

Dealer 1 - spray wheels and new hub caps, buckets of water, polish gently.  £6,700

Dealer 2 - cover and wait a year, then blaze away with a machine polisher (oops) back to the primer in places .  £5,500 (ish)

Me: Full service all fluids, belts, interior clean new MOT and body repairs.  Ahh…. 

Edited by BarryD89

3 minutes ago, BarryD89 said:

That describes how mine arrived with me:

“Friendly” neighbour sons - new tyres, mInor recommission to MOT, nothing done drivetrain wise or scabby looking paint. £4,500 (appears to have forgot to tell the original lower her sold it, she thought he was still doing it up)

Dealer 1 - spray wheels and new hub caps, buckets of water, polish gently.  £6,700

Dealer 2 - cover and wait a year, then blaze away with a machine polisher (oops) back to the primer in places .  £5,500 (ish)

Me: Full service all fluids, belts, interior clean new MOT and body repairs.  Ahh…. 

We’ve seen it plenty of times in the club. Manta passing from dealer to dealer with a few extra grand added to it each time. That’s exactly what pushes the prices up. It’s it’s worth what someone one is willing to pay. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...