Fitting polly bushes issue

Kenny G

Hi guys, hope someone can assist with an issue I have come across when fitting pooly bushes. I stripped out old bushes on my front wishbones along with ball joints and sent them to be powder coated. I ordered a full front end set of Powerflex polly bushes to find the upper wishbone bushes will not fit, looks like they require the shells for original bushes? Also the front Subframe rear bush has the same issue. 

Strange thing is the lower arm bushes look like they will fit OK as will the anti roll bar etc.

Has anyone ever come across this issue. The only option I can think of would be get a polly bush that fits or has a metal sleeve, failing that try and get an original bush and use the shell to fit existing bushes?? 

Typical though I was doing the right thing stripping all old bushing out and getting arm re-furbed 🙄.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S swan neck and chassis rail done after 4 speed manual conversion, new brakes and suspension here but I'm held up with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Kenny.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Jess, I pressed all of the bushes out yet the lower ones seem to fit OK? I wish the info was out there before I stripped it. I did do a little research before purchase and went for Powerflex as i presuned the more expensive option would be the complete bush. I fid read others that stated you had to leave all sleeves in and for that reason went fir these as the video tutorial shows removal of complete bush!

Thanks Mike 👍 

I’ve done exactly the same as you with Powerflex bushes, no external sleeve was needed, they would not have fitted if a sleeve was added. The only issue I had was the rear panhard rod to axle bush, it was too long.

Thanks! I used a bench top hydraulic press to push out the bushes, the sort you get from machine mart. I think I still have the originals I pushed out, but not in the best of condition as you’d imagine. I had the same thoughts that maybe a new sleeve was needed, but on all new bushes I’ve fitted (front and rear) the bushes alone have a good fit, I imagine that if an external sleeve was needed Powerflex would have included, since the originals would be damaged or corroded.

1 hour ago, Kenny G said:

Jess, I pressed all of the bushes out yet the lower ones seem to fit OK? I wish the info was out there before I stripped it. I did do a little research before purchase and went for Powerflex as i presuned the more expensive option would be the complete bush. I fid read others that stated you had to leave all sleeves in and for that reason went fir these as the video tutorial shows removal of complete bush!

Thanks Mike 👍 

I think there is a lip piece missing where I have highlighted, on the ones I got they came with a sleeve you pressed in first before the bushes. I sadly did not take a lot of pics when I did mine, but you can see the edge of the insert.

rears did not have an insert, but was tight when compressed at fitting, the nuts only just started due to the width of the bushes.

Edited by Jessopia74
Add rear bush info

I have obviously cut out the part that houses the bush thinking it was the outer part of bush!

So now I will need to get another right hand top wishbone and a right hand crossmember subframe. 

Nightmare but this should teach me to double check.

What I don't understand is that I followed the same process with the lower wishbones and the bushes seem a tight fit??

Anyone got a top wishbone and sub frame lying around?

What a Plonker!!!.

18 hours ago, Kenny G said:

Hi guys, hope someone can assist with an issue I have come across when fitting pooly bushes. I stripped out old bushes on my front wishbones along with ball joints and sent them to be powder coated. I ordered a full front end set of Powerflex polly bushes to find the upper wishbone bushes will not fit, looks like they require the shells for original bushes? Also the front Subframe rear bush has the same issue. 

Strange thing is the lower arm bushes look like they will fit OK as will the anti roll bar etc.

Has anyone ever come across this issue. The only option I can think of would be get a polly bush that fits or has a metal sleeve, failing that try and get an original bush and use the shell to fit existing bushes?? 

Typical though I was doing the right thing stripping all old bushing out and getting arm re-furbed 🙄.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

P.S swan neck and chassis rail done after 4 speed manual conversion, new brakes and suspension here but I'm held up with this issue.

Thanks in advance

Kenny.

Thanks, I havd had a look through these posts and yes it looks like the sleeve needs removed in lower arms when fitting Powerflex. I will fit these later today and update.

Kenny

No more stripping / painting until I'm sure things fit.  

Thanks Mickfrad, you had the same issue.  

• Like 1

Lower arm bushes fitted lovely. Just need to start again and learn a lesson. Ordered replacement top arms and stabiliser. I won't be removing any more shells until I'm sure. Though the Powerflex kit would have mentioned this.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the pointers and advice, replacement parts arrived this morning so it's back to the drawing board and only remove the rubber this time. Shocked I got them delivered as quick. Thanks Carl1971manta. 

Kenny .

• Like 3

with the bottom arm .the sleeve is realy part of the arm rather than the actual rubber bush so without it would the outer of a polybush be supported correctly ? 

i know this because mine was once noted that part of this sleeve which was visible had rusted and you could see the rubber bush under it. mot tester noted at the time .

this sleeve is quite thin anyway 

by bottom arm im actually meaning the very bottom one. the crossmember outrigger one !

• Like 1

Yes, you are correct, the only sleeve you remove when fitting Powerflex bushes is the lower wishbone. I have just removed the rubber part of the bushes in this lower arm and the top wishbones I had to get and have tried the bushes. All seems 👍.  Off to powder coating (AGAIN). lol. 

• Like 1