New forum member, OMOC member from LONG ago

Kr1s

Hi Guys

Just saying hello.

A little bit of my Manta background:

I owned Mantas from 1994 to 2001 and was a member of the club for some of this time - I used to meet the guys in South Wales (I was based in Gloucester at the time) and went to the Billing event once.

I've joined the forum now as it's possible I am going to take on the car that my father has had stored in his dry garage for the last 30 years - a one-previous-owner, ~30k mile, 1980 Berlinetta SR Coupe in non-metallic blue. (Sorry, don't know offhand the exact colour name, and can't remember whether it's got a sunroof or not).

My first steps are to get the car moved into storage closer to where I live (now near Portsmouth), then assess exactly what needs doing to it. The last time I saw it, it still looked mint, but it hasn't run for a good few years now, so who knows?

Anyway, if I decide it's worth hanging on to even just until the summer, I'll almost certainly rejoin the club and will be pestering you guys with questions about where to get work done or source parts.

Any tips on things to get checked on a car like this that has not been used would be appreciated -thanks!

I have a tentative plan to drive the car to Billing in July.

Sorry I've not got any photos of the car yet - when my Dad bought it digital cameras didn't exist and I think even when it was last covered in its sheet, phone cameras were primitive!

Look forward to being part of the community again

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back Chris! 

If it’s been layed up for 30 years, it won’t take much to get it running so long as it was dry stored. First take out the sparkilators and get a spanner on the crank. See if it turns. If it doesn’t, put some wd40 down the bores and let it soak. Make a brew. Ponder your life. Once about 30 mins has passed try again. It should be free, CIH engines are tougher than Chuck Norris at an ass kicking event. Depending on how good you are with the spanner’s, do a compression test. If not, put a battery on and check for smoke. Just incase the meeces have been chewing some wires. Happy there’s no fire, see if she cranks over. If it does, you’re nearly there. Change the oil, use something thick like 20/50 castrol classic or Halfords equivalent. It’ll have all the minerals and dinosaurs these old engines need. Once that’s done, hook up a fresh can of higher octane (low ethanol) fuel to the feed connection on the manual pumpalator. You don’t want to be dragging old fuel out of the tank! Check for spark, if you have sparks, and fuel up to the carb, give it a go. She might run! Then you can assess the condition of the carb, fuel lines will need to be replaced. Drain the tank and clean it if you can. Plenty to be going at! I’ve just done the same with a 2.2 Carlton. Hasn’t run for 14 years. Engine was stuck a little but the ring lip soon buggered off with some lubricant and spinning it over with the plugs out 👌

And that’s just the start! 

good luck! 

043C96DF-BEB8-4D8D-825D-C8241908B6EC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies and the tips guys. Actually it has been started and moved within those years, and was actually MoTd a few years ago so may not be too bad.

A 2.2 Carlton huh? That's the engine that my last Manta ended up with - it was quite a fast car in the end.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kr1s said:

Hi Guys

Just saying hello.

I owned Mantas from 1994 to 2001 and was a member of the club for some of this time - I used to meet the guys in South Wales (I was based in Gloucester at the time) and went to the Billing event once.

I've joined the forum now as it's possible I am going to take on the car that my father has had stored in his dry garage for the last 30 years - a one-previous-owner, ~30k mile, 1980 Berlinetta SR Coupe in non-metallic blue. (Sorry, don't know offhand the exact colour name, and can't remember whether it's got a sunroof or not).

My first steps are to get the car moved into storage closer to where I live (now near Portsmouth), then assess exactly what needs doing to it. The last time I saw it, it still looked mint, but it hasn't run for a good few years now, so who knows?

Anyway, if I decide it's worth hanging on to even just until the summer, I'll almost certainly rejoin the club and will be pestering you guys with questions about where to get work done or source parts.

Any tips on things to get checked on a car like this that has not been used would be appreciated -thanks!

Sorry I've not got any photos of the car yet - when my Dad bought it digital cameras didn't exist and I think even when it was last covered in its sheet, phone cameras were primitive!

Chris

Hi @Kr1s and welcome back to the club. Glad to here you are near Portsmouth you may be not too far from me - I’m in Fair Oak.

My car has a similar story as it was my mum’s!

Good luck with the car and let me know if you need a hand with anything.

5 minutes ago, Kr1s said:

Just dug this out - my 2.2 hatch - I wonder whether there's anyone here who remembers it...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e9a7cl1wjd1cu22/MANTA05.jpg?dl=0

It would be great to track her down - I doubt she’ll look so tasty now though 🙁

I’ve just done a quick search on that reggo, tax ran out in 2004 and it’s not been MOTd since the new electronic version came in circa 2006/7. Last V5 issued 10.09.2003. So who knows. It could be tucked away.

yes I’ve been tryin my hardest to get a 1986 Carlton back on the road. I was going to rebuild the lower dash between Xmas and new year but so far all I’ve had are the shits. Typical. 

7 hours ago, Kr1s said:

Hi Guys

Just saying hello.

Chris

Hey Chris

Im down the road from you in sunny Bournemouth 🙂 and took my A series up to Northampton this year for the first time since its been on the road and was thinking i might go again in 2023, so if you are thinking of going maybe we could meet up along the way and travel up?

Andy