john man

Hi all,

It's great to be here. Newbie from Ireland.
Join over the last few days, have been looking around the forum, there is a serious amount of info on it.
Wasn't sure what I would be getting out of the subscription but for the amount of info I have already read, I think I have gotten my value already.

Have always an interest in Manta's and final pulled the trigger a few days ago and purchased a project for myself, 1984 Manta 1.8S Coupe (no engine or box).
And it is a project to say the least. A lot of cutting and welding needed.

Have never taken on such a project and it isn't my background, so hoping this forum can help with question I may have or parts needed. 
Have no photos yet, will be picking up the car once I get sorted with a trailer.

Chat soon
John  

• Like 6

Welcome John man,

I took on a project back in 2016 with no mechanical or welding skills, I did as much work as I could and only required help with outer sills, rear arches and paint, the kind of jobs I knew I would have to get done professionally. Enjoy every minute of your build, I would take on another if the right one came up.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 3

Hi John, I'm from the northern side, think I know the car, seen it advertised silver 1.8 coupe original Irish car from new. 

will it be restored to 1.8 or something different. 

Shouldn't be an issue with finding a 1.8 block, sump, gearbox etc will be a different story.

Goodluck with restoration. 

• Like 3

Hi @john man,

The subscription is an bargain for sure - as soon as you have a problem post something here and you get genuine advice on what to do and sometimes what not to do! We’ve all made mistakes so we can help others before they do the same. There’s also more than one way to skin a cat and you can decide who’s advice or suggestion suits your car or your way of working.

And the obvious question - what engine and gearbox combinations are you considering?

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! It’d be nice to see it as a 1.8, but a 2.0 ohc engine is a good replacement if you can find one and use the 1.8 bits to run it. Unfortunately the sump and gearbox now command silly money, but I have a box full of other 1.8 parts like manifolds etc I can donate to the cause if you need! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Hi John, I'm from the northern side, think I know the car, seen it advertised silver 1.8 coupe original Irish car from new. 

will it be restored to 1.8 or something different. 

Shouldn't be an issue with finding a 1.8 block, sump, gearbox etc will be a different story.

Goodluck with restoration. 

Hi evo03, 
Correct it was advertised alright, and is an Irish car.
Funny I got advance from one or two guys and all said the same, is that the one for sale online. Goes to show there is not many up for sale anymore.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Hi @john man,

The subscription is an bargain for sure - as soon as you have a problem post something here and you get genuine advice on what to do and sometimes what not to do! We’ve all made mistakes so we can help others before they do the same. There’s also more than one way to skin a cat and you can decide who’s advice or suggestion suits your car or your way of working.

And the obvious question - what engine and gearbox combinations are you considering?

Hi jonathan
Not to sure just yet mainly focusing on the body for the next while (years probably). 
Have looked at the Opel red top would be easiest to source. I have a Ford type 9 box available. So probably in that direction.  

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

Welcome aboard! It’d be nice to see it as a 1.8, but a 2.0 ohc engine is a good replacement if you can find one and use the 1.8 bits to run it. Unfortunately the sump and gearbox now command silly money, but I have a box full of other 1.8 parts like manifolds etc I can donate to the cause if you need! 

Thanks fo the offer Sutty2006

• Like 2

Hi and welcome,got my manta from lreland ( one come back)

Got it with a MOT give a check over,it should have never passed a MOT 

Done some welding on the battery tray,inner wings and bits,not used a mig welder before it takes a bit time to work it out ,but it turned out very good. Have a look at lrish blue on on there 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 1200bandit said:

Got it with a MOT give a check over,it should have never passed a MOT

I have lost all trust in NI mot scheme, it is government run, says it all really 🤣

I just check my own, and make sure I say to them, if it wasn't save, I wouldn't be in it. 

• Thanks 1