Gold GTE hatch

James Coghlans (Stradacab on the forum) old car sold it in 2020 for £2200 as a project, current owner has bought some chassis rails for it now.

It's a good car inside, engine was running quietly, auto gearbox.

Body up top is pretty good but it does require welding underneath be interesting to see what it makes now 2 years later.

• Like 2

Looks like a great subject for a home restoration for someone. I can cope with Gold Mantas a lot better nowadays - as Mick said on FB, they were never very popular back in the day but now, there is a bit of retro cool about them (I have to say that, as Ive got one!) I still dont like the gold ATS’s though..silver look much nicer. 

• Like 4

Don't knock Gold, I used to have a Gold Berlinetta in the 1980's before I could afford the insurance on a GTE, and then when I reached the average mans utopia of Manta ownership, a GTE Exclusive I had to sell it when I moved to N.I. as the insurance was £1,000/year.

There are only two things that get better as you get older, wisdom and car insurance. 

Doh! I'm out at £4700. The welding (mainly) and having to get rid of the LPG rubbish and subsequent problems from the conversion won't make sense spending any more and I'm surprised it passed £4k; love the gold and it being non-sunroof, but this much interest for an auto! 😳

• Like 2

Apart from the Subaru and the Clio Williams what have gold wheels ever given us.

I think the wheels need to contrast with or complement paint colour, not camouflage. In this particular case the silver wheels in evo03 photo look great. 

It will be interesting to see if the new owner changes them or not?

55 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Apart from the Subaru and the Clio Williams what have gold wheels ever given us.

I think the wheels need to contrast with or complement paint colour, not camouflage. In this particular case the silver wheels in evo03 photo look great. 

It will be interesting to see if the new owner changes them or not?

*ahmem* 

*cough cough*

The one and only! 

DE715970-7653-4D6B-B7D4-5C7C13A767E0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

Doh! I'm out at £4700. The welding (mainly) and having to get rid of the LPG rubbish and subsequent problems from the conversion won't make sense spending any more and I'm surprised it passed £4k; love the gold and it being non-sunroof, but this much interest for an auto! 😳

Let’s see, the top bidder has to actually turn up and pay yet. However, I though around 4500 💁

• Like 1

Yes, it's a common occurrence to see a car you were watching/bidding on "sell" for more than you thought, then a week or two later it's relisted. I do feel for the seller to be honest, as this must be a major ball ache when you're trying to sell and paying eBay for the listing. Years ago, I used to get messages offering the item to me as a "second chance," when the auction winner is non-responsive or turns down the purchase, but not sure if eBay have stopped this.

On the subject of wheel colour, the Manta brochure shows that two of the metallic paint options had colour-matching alloys. Bronze and gold if I remember correctly, silver would have matched too, but silver is the "normal" colour anyway.

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 3

The winning bidder made his top bid 4 days ago (I'd have won it for £4400 had he not) so it wasn't one of those "bid sniper" last few seconds bids.

I wonder if it will get restored, or just flipped like a lot of hatches we've seen? Getting it to run by junking the LPG and fixing the fuel tank would probably add a bit, because then it's "just" some welding to get it roadworthy. Saying that, I was going to have to get the swan necks professionally done, which I doubt would have been cheap.

could still be a good project for someone even at the selling price,providing its a self restoration there is still money left in this one.

The gold wheel thing always used to be associated with the totally naff gold medallion craze of the day..apart from the odd exception as mentioned above...😎

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, evo3000 said:

could still be a good project for someone even at the selling price,providing its a self restoration there is still money left in this one.

The gold wheel thing always used to be associated with the totally naff gold medallion craze of the day..apart from the odd exception as mentioned above...😎

I agree, definitely got a good margin in it