Gold GTE hatch

22 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Hope the coupe gold pic didn't confuse anyone, £4.7 for a hatch gas auto...ok...... Solid roof. Brown dash? Project ! ....ok.....

Well it's a bench mark. Of some kind 👍

Probably needs a refurb injection tank too.. I'm starting to feel better about not getting it! 😆

On 29/01/2023 at 17:19, Rick-Manta said:

Yes, it's a common occurrence to see a car you were watching/bidding on "sell" for more than you thought, then a week or two later it's relisted. I do feel for the seller to be honest, as this must be a major ball ache when you're trying to sell and paying eBay for the listing. Years ago, I used to get messages offering the item to me as a "second chance," when the auction winner is non-responsive or turns down the purchase, but not sure if eBay have stopped this.

On the subject of wheel colour, the Manta brochure shows that two of the metallic paint options had colour-matching alloys. Bronze and gold if I remember correctly, silver would have matched too, but silver is the "normal" colour anyway.

Gold and white, and then later on Platinum had colour coded wheels on the GT/E.

Edited by 1900SR
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 1900SR said:

Gold and white, and then later on Platinum had colour coded whels on the GT/E.

That was it, thanks! I forgot about the white and confused platinum with another. I'll have to did out my old brochure.

You'll never guess what! I got a message from the eBay seller offering me the car as the winner isn't responding..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

There's a surprise! Room for a bit of negotiation perhaps?? 🙂

I've committed to another Manta now sadly (and not a rotter, which is a major bonus at the moment), but told the seller I'll at least bid to what is left of my budget when he relists it--unless anyone else here is trying to get it cheap, then let me know.

Edited by Rick-Manta
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick-Manta said:

I've committed to another Manta now sadly (and not a rotter, which is a major bonus at the moment), but told the seller I'll at least bid to what is left of my budget when he relists it--unless anyone else here is trying to get it cheap, then let me know.

What treasure have you unearthed?

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 12:03, Rick-Manta said:

I'm trying to get it cheap but even if you don't go for it, bound to go for 4k ish

• Like 1

On 01/02/2023 at 14:03, TheRealExile said:

What treasure have you unearthed?

It's a '79 Hatch unfinished project that's been halfway GTE-ised. What's pretty cool is that I'll be able to have an 80's looking car but with the benefit of tax and MOT exemption, and I can legally display black and silver plates which may look naff, but they can't be read by ANPR.

Sure, I'll not be bidding on the gold hatch anymore, so it'll almost certainly sell for less than the last time unless there's new interest that haven't seen it yet. I would have won for £4400 had the timewaster not bid, the bidder before the guy out at £4400 had a max bid of £3100.

I've got to list the Cav on evilBay, so I might do it as a classified ad instead. The auctions seem like a headache, attracting drunk bidders, timewasters and people who don't understand that you bid to buy--sadly, eBay don't take their own rules seriously enough either! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

It's a '79 Hatch unfinished project that's been halfway GTE-ised. What's pretty cool is that I'll be able to have an 80's looking car but with the benefit of tax and MOT exemption, and I can legally display black and silver plates which may look naff, but they can't be read by ANPR.

Sure, I'll not be bidding on the gold hatch anymore, so it'll almost certainly sell for less than the last time unless there's new interest that haven't seen it yet. I would have won for £4400 had the timewaster not bid, the bidder before the guy out at £4400 had a max bid of £3100.

I've got to list the Cav on evilBay, so I might do it as a classified ad instead. The auctions seem like a headache, attracting drunk bidders, timewasters and people who don't understand that you bid to buy--sadly, eBay don't take their own rules seriously enough either! 

That’s the best way by far. Classified ad. Ok you pay more, but it like you said it filters out all the kids bidding on cars using their dads account. (I’ve had that excuse before!) 

• Like 2

Yep had that tired old excuse myself, it was his 6 year old bidding 🤥

Had people turn up and try and haggle too, sometimes in hilarious fashion like the bloke who brought a mechanic who said it needs a new clutch (I'd fitted one 2 weeks before) and wanted extra off as the new front wings were brighter than the rest of the car, it was advertised as such and a good cutting was all that was needed, rest of the car had gone dull over the years, hence advertised as an unfinished project!!!

• Like 1

Interior is like a stuck in the 80s bungalow🤣 but different, to the more popular colours. 

Wonder could the gas tank be converted to hold petrol? 

As for price, alot of work ahead, it is a project. Part illustrate what is needed, and usually turns out alot more. 

Another one bits the dust, interesting if prices jump for hatches needing no work, turn key and go. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Interior is like a stuck in the 80s bungalow🤣 but different, to the more popular colours. 

Wonder could the gas tank be converted to hold petrol? 

As for price, alot of work ahead, it is a project. Part illustrate what is needed, and usually turns out alot more. 

Another one bits the dust, interesting if prices jump for hatches needing no work, turn key and go. 😉

It will still have a petrol tank. LPG conversion usually is a spare wheel well tank. You need petrol to start the car, then it switches over to LPG when warmed up. So the system is kind of hacked into existing injection, that turns off the injectors and possibly the fuel pump. So it probably cuts the common +ve to injectors when it starts the run on gas, that is handled by its own stand alone system. 
Not a massive job to strip out tbh, but there will be a fill valve in bodywork that will need leaving in or hold patching and paint. 

• Like 2

On 17/02/2023 at 20:06, ®evo03 said:

Ah no I was wondering if it could be used as injection tanks for hatches are hard to get, and getting harder. 

No mate, it’s a gas tank essentially. You can get a bespoke Aluminium foam tank (far superior & safer) made to fit in the space and probably will be the option in the future I guess. 

• Like 1