Steering wheel removal

mepbowles

I've finally got a 4 spoke wheel so I'm trying to get the 2 spoke wheel off but it won't budge. I've tried penetrating fluid, nut back on loosely and a little bit of brute strength. But either I'm not strong enough, I'm not doing it right or I need to get a puller.

• Like 1

I bought a Sykes-Pickavant one some years ago specifically for GM cars, it was a two leg and worked well. I've heard the legs on the Laser one are too big to use on a Manta. I'm not sure if a 3 leg would work, someone else may know.

Ah, my thinking was to hook on the bottom of the wheel but it seems the two armsl ones go through the holes either side of the nut. More like this one.

Realistically, I'm going to use this less than 5 times in my life so I may just ask a local garage to do it tbh. Don't have to store the tool. My brother would buy the tool from Screwfix and then return it, but that's too dishonest.

IMG_20230212_172941.thumb.jpg.55f196098942e15a129e2f4ac1fd97d7.jpg

The correct two leg puller is required so you don't shear the nylon rods that join the two halves of the column to each other at the sleeve joint, if you "rag fยฃ$% out of it" you often will have a rattly column afterwards and if its really bad an MOT fail because of up and down movement.

The correct puller is this:ย 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175452460988?hash=item28d9c817bc:g:RDIAAOSw2aVjJxHd&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsIUiI1zvGLqxX2zYn0zflDdts9SByF5Y%2FWawbdqJAF0TGcPY6EukConwlC057WNHb7qS0K%2FsBP5C5fsDoEIrBrplQysE4OgCYErSBmcBtHacqzYygn%2Bfv0J3ZMxTmw63Ph671ufV4ANBgK9SOC1nxPp3x8yDTX%2FwnAPIVpXhdkXtfN%2BuqzGeZlZpYWRV40P4b4XSmiKoViUJi3zH2ITQvE1J9xPKnpJkxGxcraKm5SYT|tkp%3ABk9SR6bBt-GAYQ

Its cheap and will remove the wheel without needing to beat anything and risk damage.

If you have a damaged column it can be repaired by removing the rods from the column, pulling them apart, cleaning them and then removing the broken bit of nylon from the outer rod.

Then you mark the inner rod where the nylon went into the outer shaft and pop the outer one back on, line up inner and out to the mark.

Use a fine drill bit to make a hole right through the inner and outer (its easy because you are drilling nylon all the way through.ย  You then need to insert a fresh piece of super thin nylon rod (same size as you drilled) or use a piece of mig wire.

The idea of the nylon is to stop rattles but the column is split in two so in an accident the nylon rods break and the column can collapse at the lower lattice.

Another reason not to beat the wheel to remove is the lattice can get damaged and so can the shear mounts at the top.

ย 

Do columns properly, they are required to be safe.

• Like 2

Yes, good information there for sure. There's a warning in Haynes but the fix is often what's missing. Fortunately, my brute strength was applied evenly in the direction of the column but it did nothing at all regardless.

ย 

For whatever reason, you eBay link doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps it's an old listing that ended some time ago and has been deleted.

9 hours ago, mepbowles said:

Yes, good information there for sure. There's a warning in Haynes but the fix is often what's missing. Fortunately, my brute strength was applied evenly in the direction of the column but it did nothing at all regardless.

ย 

For whatever reason, you eBay link doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps it's an old listing that ended some time ago and has been deleted.

Its a copy paste of an old post I made on exactly this topic a while ago, the link puller looks just like the one you posted.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks all, I got the wheels swapped with the correct tool just before my time got robbed by another child coming along.

The horn was abit flaky at first but for whatever reason it soon warmed up to full volume.

• Like 1