Lightened fly wheel

BEEDZ

I've done it in the past, didn't take much off but it did make the throttle response more snappy, trouble was it also meant the car was more twitchy to drive, it wasn't as comfortable and would speed and slow much quicker, it took away much of the drivability and I found the throttle a bit on and off for the road driving i was doing.

If I was tracking it then it would have been ideal.

• Like 3

Not sure about road use but for rallying I took all of the step off to make the face flat for AP paddle clutches with 6 bolts fitting. Gives you a lot more options on pressure plates. 

Took a bit but not much off the back and a few drill indents to balance

Never had any problems with strength. Ran the same flywheel for 20 years on lots of different CIH combinations 

Edited by Moonmonkey
  • Like 2

Can reduce it down to approx 7kg (possibly 6.5kg!!), makes a lot of difference to the engine pickup. make sure you don't go any thinner than 10mm at any point on the casting and remove from the outer edges rather than the centre. Also make sure there are no sharp, stepped edges.... use a radius in the corners. Better still get a steel one!! 

• Like 2