Opel Manta LSD Supplier

I went for Gripper, mainly due to knowing them from my Rallying days. Wasn't aware of 3J until last years Classic Car show but too late by then as I had bought and installed the Gripper, so can't really comment on 3J. Gripper are really helpful to talk to recommending settings based on what you want. I went for a custom build in the end, with more preload than the typical trackday setting, sort of halfway between the trackday and full rally setting, accelerating ramp a bit shallower than the ZF at 40, and decelerating ramp a bit more oblique at 65 (I think ZF is 45/45). Which as I understand it gives you a bit more locking force under acceleration, and less when engine braking compared to the old ZF.

Pricing looks similar with both

Is this what you were looking for on offset John?

image.png.5935867b47ce25c029e0b17840b76666.png

• Like 3

I have both a Gripper and a 3J, if i ever need another lsd it will be a Gripper without doubt.

Don't get me wrong the 3J works as it should but its not as refinned as the Gripper. Its much noisier maneuvering at slow speeds with lots of clanking the gripper doesn't have. It also needs a long bedding in process to settle the plates to each other, which the gripper didn't.

I have the 3J in my road car currently but i'll be swapping to my gripper soon and putting the 3J in my rally project where the harshness will work fine and noise won't be out of place.

3J is what the design guys from Tran-x started up after the tranx brand name was bought by Quaife.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 01/03/2024 at 11:49, seanpren said:

Anyone have a quaife or blackline etc diff in a manta b? Would like to hear opinions, considering one. Just the odd sideways taking off planned no competition or anything 

I’ve a quaiffe ATB in my 16v hatch. It’s great for spirited dry day driving. Really transforms the power to both back wheels instead of doing 1 wheel burnouts. But in the wet, it’s very harsh. Even going around roundabouts with no acceleration it’ll go sideways because it’s putting more power to the inside wheel. It’s not so bad when you’re used to it but it can catch you out! 

• Like 1

Any links to websites.

Would invest in two, as one wheel drive is crazy, worse than.

At least with a LSD you can expect it, and control it, that's my excuse and sticking with it. 🤣

Drove a 1wd C20LET, not good. Alot of effort. 🤣

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Any links to websites.

Would invest in two, as one wheel drive is crazy, worse than.

At least with a LSD you can expect it, and control it, that's my excuse and sticking with it. 🤣

Drove a 1wd C20LET, not good. Alot of effort. 🤣

I bought mine built up in an axle, cheap. I’ve no idea where I’d order one from. Have you searched on Google? 

• Like 1

I've got a genuine ZF LSD in my Manta.  It's been excellent on slippery roads, fields, snow and ice.

Whatever brand you get it will be an good investment and make the drive more enjoyable.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 11:14, mantasrme said:

I have both a Gripper and a 3J, if i ever need another lsd it will be a Gripper without doubt.

Don't get me wrong the 3J works as it should but its not as refinned as the Gripper. Its much noisier maneuvering at slow speeds with lots of clanking the gripper doesn't have. It also needs a long bedding in process to settle the plates to each other, which the gripper didn't.

I have the 3J in my road car currently but i'll be swapping to my gripper soon and putting the 3J in my rally project where the harshness will work fine and noise won't be out of place.

3J is what the design guys from Tran-x started up after the tranx brand name was bought by Quaife.

Mantasrme, any links ? 

https://unit10-performance.com/products/opel-manta-road-gripper-diff

Plates for ZF:

https://racingdiffs.com/products/opel-zf-lsd-clutch-plate-set

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen/used Racing Diffs conversion sets before or have an idea what the drawback would be?

For the price, it seems like an okay option if your just want a the occasional bit of sideways fun. I think it's tuneable by the springs.

https://racingdiffs.com/collections/lsd-conversion-sets/products/opel-vauxhall-progressive-lsd-conversion-setsScreenshot_20240320-201125.thumb.png.4d3f19bedc0a514015a094db999200b8.png

13 hours ago, mepbowles said:

Has anyone seen/used Racing Diffs conversion sets before or have an idea what the drawback would be?

For the price, it seems like an okay option if your just want a the occasional bit of sideways fun. I think it's tuneable by the springs.

https://racingdiffs.com/collections/lsd-conversion-sets/products/opel-vauxhall-progressive-lsd-conversion-setsScreenshot_20240320-201125.thumb.png.4d3f19bedc0a514015a094db999200b8.png

Drawback is it is like semi welding your open diff. Crap basically.