Another 400r raffle

In the space of a year, I spent over £2k on these car comps! :unsure: Mainly that featured Nissan Skylines and a few MK1 Golfs. This one is like they used to be, with a high ticket price but low number of tickets (which is how I ended up spending so much) as most of them now are 99p-£10 with tens of thousands of tickets available on each competition.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

In the space of a year, I spent over £2k on these car comps! :unsure: Mainly that featured Nissan Skylines and a few MK1 Golfs. This one is like they used to be, with a high ticket price but low number of tickets (which is how I ended up spending so much) as most of them now are 99p-£10 with tens of thousands of tickets available on each competition.

Are they even legal? 

• Like 1

Just now, seanpren said:

I know someone who won an R33 skyline from R Kings and also a fella who sold an E30 Hartge to them. They're legit but it's some kind of loophole how they do it I reckon 

I would be more concerned about actually having a fair & adjudicating draw + actually getting said prize 

£35.9k, all cars are bought before raffle. So if car was say £25k, 10.9k profit.

898 tickets at £39.99, = £35.9k, minus purchase price of car.

Everyone is a winner, car gets sold by owner, raffle winner gets a car for ticket price, and the company makes a sizeable, profit.

So, who is the looser, the other 897, who bought and got nothing, hey, that's life. 

It not run as a traditional auction. 

The winner is selected randomly, usually live, a live feed. 

4 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

I would be more concerned about actually having a fair & adjudicating draw + actually getting said prize 

Like I said I personally know a lad who won an R33. Draw is done live but like you said may not be fair or whatever. But Mick got an R33 for 25 euro lol 

5 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Are they even legal? 

Yes, they're legit. In fact some of the earlier ones were run by car dealers who decided to "raffle" a car rather than sell it directly. You'll notice as well as buying tickets, they have to ask a stupid question--such as: which manufacturer made the Skyline? a) Nissan b) Sony c) Microsoft--and also offer an option for "free postal entry." This is so they're legally classed as running a competition raffle instead of a lottery, which has a much more complicated set of regulations. Ultimately, someone who bought one of the tickets will genuinely win the prize. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick-Manta said:

Yes, they're legit. In fact some of the earlier ones were run by car dealers who decided to "raffle" a car rather than sell it directly. You'll notice as well as buying tickets, they have to ask a stupid question--such as: which manufacturer made the Skyline? a) Nissan b) Sony c) Microsoft--and also offer an option for "free postal entry." This is so they're legally classed as running a competition raffle instead of a lottery, which has a much more complicated set of regulations. Ultimately, someone who bought one of the tickets will genuinely win the prize. 

I looked this up and it seems it’s a lottery type situation so is a grey are at best as it is not for charity, getting around this requires a question that would require a correct answer as part of ‘game’ so that it falls outside of regulation. So the question needs to be suitable to subject and of adequate difficulty. I can see these getting clamped down on as there is currently no legal recourse for the entrants as they are not licensed or regulated.

MADNESS! 😬

Edited by Jessopia74

I think the free entry ones have to have a question to make it legal, but the raffle style ones are perfectly legal if selling tickets. It’s only like going to a car show and someone walking around selling raffle tickets to the general public in a bid to win a knock off wall clock and a free pass to a ramblers weekly digest magazine. Same rules apply. 

id love to enter, but I’ve tried waaaaaay too much to win the absolute radio “make me a winnah” versions. 

• Like 1