Cavalier centaur

Joe_goro

Hi all have finally decided to take on my late Grandad’s car which has been in a lockup since 93. Went up today to push/drag it out. The brakes are seized all all corners so we decided to drag it out. when it was dragged 3 wheels managed to free them self but the passenger rear is still stuck. We have tried taking the drum off with no luck has anyone got any ideas. Thanks joe

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

Try giving the drum a few knocks with a hammer, should free it off.

Nice looking car, very rare now I would imagine, do you have all the original documentation and centaur label in glove box?

Edited by Mike.

18 minutes ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

See if the brake adjusters on backplate loose off the shoes if mot siezied 

As soon as I saw that Centaur I thought of you.

1 hour ago, Joe_goro said:

Hi all have finally decided to take on my late Grandad’s car which has been in a lockup since 93. Went up today to push/drag it out. The brakes are seized all all corners so we decided to drag it out. when it was dragged 3 wheels managed to free them self but the passenger rear is still stuck. We have tried taking the drum off with no luck has anyone got any ideas. Thanks joe

I hope that 400 rear arch plays no part in this build! I will be following your project with great interest and wish you lots of luck with it.

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

Try giving the drum a few knocks with a hammer, should free it off.

Nice looking car, very rare now I would imagine, do you have all the original documentation and centaur label in glove box?

cheers! i have got all the paperwork but the dash was changed out at some point for a black one. however i have all of the original parts so when i look through them im hoping to find the sticker. i have tried knocking the drums but have had no luck with the offside drum unfortunately.

38 minutes ago, Kurtupsin75 said:

See if the brake adjusters on backplate loose off the shoes if mot siezied 

ill have to give that a try next i think, thanks!

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

As soon as I saw that Centaur I thought of you.

I hope that 400 rear arch plays no part in this build! I will be following your project with great interest and wish you lots of luck with it.

Thanks for following! should be a good project. I did have plans with the 400 arch but most people i seem to speak to are very much against it lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe_goro said:

i have tried knocking the drums but have had no luck with the offside drum unfortunately.

Be sure the handbrake cable is'nt seized on that side. And no, no "400" arches on this beauty

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Be sure the handbrake cable is'nt seized on that side. And no, no "400" arches on this beauty

Yeh checked that and seemed okay, and I’m definitely being told that the 400 kit is a no go. Oh well will have to see, might need to find a manta after I’ve finished the centaur lol 😂

Nothing too special today, got round to getting the brake drum off so we could move the car to the garage so I can work on it. The drum needed some heating as well as the drums cylinder being loosened from the outside. After all that a couple hits with a hammer and we managed to wiggle it off. The shoes were stuck to the side of the drum and were perished once we took them off. 

After pushing the car into the garage I then jacked the car up on to axle stands, so now I can start doing some work  on it 😁😁

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Is there any chance you could get her on the road now and enjoy some top down fun and start the resto in October or November?

Id love to but its not been on the road since 93 so i don't think it would be the best idea as the brake lines are corroded etc. However it does start and is mechanically sound. I am finishing Uni for this year next week so i should hopefully have a lot of time over the summer to get it done and get her out and ready for next year.

• Like 3

On 23/04/2023 at 16:31, Joe_goro said:

Id love to but its not been on the road since 93 so i don't think it would be the best idea as the brake lines are corroded etc. However it does start and is mechanically sound. I am finishing Uni for this year next week so i should hopefully have a lot of time over the summer to get it done and get her out and ready for next year.

Sound plan indeed. Better to be 100% happy with the safety items and make sure you will have reliability to get said enjoyment. Looking forwards to seeing the progress👍

• Like 2

Another couple hrs up the garage today and I managed to get both front wings removed so I could see the inner wheel arch and start work. My plan is to needle gun back both sides to bare metal to see what needs welding. As you will be able to see from the photos there are a good few spots which will need cutting out and some fabrication but nothing impossible 😊. There have been previous repairs which do not look great and these will be addressed once the arches are back to metal.

Continued: 

I have added a few more pics of the arch. As you will see the outer arches are not in the greatest of condition(repairable but a bit pointless)  so if anyone has a pair going for a decent price please let me know 👍

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Not bad for its age at all. All very repairable 

Exactly my thinking! Think once its taken back to bare metal i can evaluate where everything needs cutting out from and can well and truly crack on.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Been at it for a couple days since the last post and i now have the entire front suspension apart, the steering rack off and callipers off (albeit forgetting to take a few pics along the way haha). But wow what a pain getting all of those rusty nuts and bolts apart, its taking a lot longer than originally hoped purely because of this lol. I have now wire wheeled the entire drivers side arch back revealing not too many surprises which I didn't already know about thankfully (i have a lack of pics of this).  I also managed to dig out some of the badges and plates for the car but i still cant find the centaur ones atm 😭

The last pic is of all of the parts i have either taken off or my late grandfather had collected over the years of having this, this pic was from about 2 weeks ago so its now more organised as well as more full haha.

next up welding...

• Like 2

To save you time as on here about metal repair panels, just in case you don't know what's available. A post panels are, and sections behind front wheels. 

It would be interesting to see strengthening sections originally fitted to these. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

To save you time as on here about metal repair panels, just in case you don't know what's available. A post panels are, and sections behind front wheels. 

It would be interesting to see strengthening sections originally fitted to these. 

Oh that would make life easier! where would i find these , cheers

Edited by Joe_goro

3 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

Dave deakin the chap who was having them made has now stopped. 
but may be worth contacting him on Facebook joe

Ah right ok, ive just sent him a message hopefully he has some as it would make life so much easier. Ah also as i know your the man haha, do you by any chance have a right and a left side outer wing as the 2 ive got are relatively knackered and need quite a bit of repair.

Cheers for the reply btw

On 25/05/2023 at 07:55, Paul Barrett said:

I have a passenger new old stock wing I think

okay excellent!, i might be in touch re that soon when im hopefully putting the front end back together 😄